OPEN [PLAYS] Greek Myths and Hero Tales, by Comstock - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

DrSpoke wrote: March 6th, 2024, 9:10 am Hello all! Here comes Hope - character in the very bizarre version of Pandora's myth:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_hope_pandora.mp3

P.S. Inkell, your BCing and overall directing of this collection is impressive and very much appreciated, thanks.
Inkell wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:12 am .
Hi, Claudia :)

Wow, you personified Hope really well!

I have one PL Note for you: On the very last line I hear, "Trust is my promise . . . " where the line is Trust in my promise, for it is true.

Super minor word, but I think in the case of this play, it carries more import than its size would indicate. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ikestudios

Post by Ikestudios »

Inkell wrote: March 4th, 2024, 12:43 pm
Ikestudios wrote: March 4th, 2024, 11:17 am Hi there, I am pronouncing it as ´Pur-Soos.´ Also I can not change the audio in dBs, sorry.

Same thing for here, I am pronouncing it the same as written, and cannot change audio in dB, sorry. :hmm:
If you think you changed it, are you sure you have uploaded the correct files? You can also listen to the stage directions where I say the names if you think hearing it will help you understand where you are going wrong, this guide does have some odd name pronunciations that have tripped a lot of us up!

As to the audio, that should be quite simple to change once you know how. Are you using audacity? To change the dB you just need to select the track and click Effect > Amplify then type in +[number] (or -[number] if it's too high) and put the number you want to change it by (+10 would probably be best for you with these two).

If that really is too difficult for you or adding the silences I can fix it myself in editing (though since you intend to edit a whole DR for the scene collection, learning this stuff now might be good practice) the most important thing is that the recording (including pronunciations) itself is correct at least
I just don't understand how what I'm saying is not what is needed. You want it ´Pur-Soos.´ right? In the rerecording that is what I did. Also I cannot use audacity, sorry. The dB has never been an issue with LibriVox before.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Ikestudios wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:21 pm I just don't understand how what I'm saying is not what is needed. You want it ´Pur-Soos.´ right? In the rerecording that is what I did. Also I cannot use audacity, sorry. The dB has never been an issue with LibriVox before.
That's why I asked if you're sure you uploaded the correct file? And you remembered to save the changes? It's an easy mistake to make.

And dB is actually a common issue I feel like since your voice is going to be slightly different each time, also just recently I had to correct some PL notes and I didn't bother to check it because I didn't think it would change anything but the changes had messed up the dB for some reason so could be that's what happened to you as well.

At any rate, if you can't fix the dB then that's not a big deal as I can fix it in editing so just work on the other changes. Make sure the file is correct and if it is just try saying it slower and more carefully to really articulate it (that's what I do in these situations) and hopefully it'll be third try lucky :thumbs:
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Thank you so much, Lynette.
LCaulkins wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:00 am
I have one PL Note for you: On the very last line I hear, "Trust is my promise . . . " where the line is Trust in my promise, for it is true.

Super minor word, but I think in the case of this play, it carries more import than its size would indicate. :)
Not minor at all! And I did have more than a few attempts at trying to give some sense - nowhere to be seen - to that "Trust is my promise . . . " which I had actually made up myself. I thought, well, this is one of those really multilayered myths...

I believe all of today's extra attempts at recording that very same offending bit didn't make it this time around:

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

DrSpoke wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:07 am Thank you so much, Lynette.

Not minor at all! And I did have more than a few attempts at trying to give some sense - nowhere to be seen - to that "Trust is my promise . . . " which I had actually made up myself. I thought, well, this is one of those really multilayered myths...

I believe all of today's extra attempts at recording that very same offending bit didn't make it this time around:

Hehe. I've had that happen to me more than once. :)

Hope in Pandora is now PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

LCaulkins wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:22 am
Inkell wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:29 am

Apologies, I forgot about the length for Hope:
02:04
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

LCaulkins wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:22 am
DrSpoke wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:07 am Thank you so much, Lynette.

Hehe. I've had that happen to me more than once. :)

Hope in Pandora is now PL OK :thumbs:
Thank you both, MW updated :thumbs:
Hansen1021

Post by Hansen1021 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_Narcissus_Narcissus.mp3

Fixed it. Thank you for telling me the issues. I thought I'd have to read the entire disclaimer again, as I usually do.

For future reference, It's Erik, not Eric. It's a tiny issue, but it does make me a little anxious when people use the wrong spelling for my name. It's a long story from childhood.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Hansen1021 wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:39 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_Narcissus_Narcissus.mp3

Fixed it. Thank you for telling me the issues. I thought I'd have to read the entire disclaimer again, as I usually do.

For future reference, It's Erik, not Eric. It's a tiny issue, but it does make me a little anxious when people use the wrong spelling for my name. It's a long story from childhood.
Thank you, Erik, this is ready for Spot PL :thumbs:

For future reference remember to use lower case for the file names
Ikestudios

Post by Ikestudios »

Ikestudios wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:21 pm I just don't understand how what I'm saying is not what is needed. You want it ´Pur-Soos.´ right? In the rerecording that is what I did. Also I cannot use audacity, sorry. The dB has never been an issue with LibriVox before.
That's why I asked if you're sure you uploaded the correct file? And you remembered to save the changes? It's an easy mistake to make.

And dB is actually a common issue I feel like since your voice is going to be slightly different each time, also just recently I had to correct some PL notes and I didn't bother to check it because I didn't think it would change anything but the changes had messed up the dB for some reason so could be that's what happened to you as well.

At any rate, if you can't fix the dB then that's not a big deal as I can fix it in editing so just work on the other changes. Make sure the file is correct and if it is just try saying it slower and more carefully to really articulate it (that's what I do in these situations) and hopefully it'll be third try lucky :thumbs:
Can you upload yourself saying ´Pur-Soos.´ I can try (cat purring in sui-o-sus?) I just don´t know how to read it the way that is needed, so a recording might help. I will try and play wuth the dB. :help:
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Ikestudios wrote: March 8th, 2024, 11:03 am Can you upload yourself saying ´Pur-Soos.´ I can try (cat purring in sui-o-sus?) I just don´t know how to read it the way that is needed, so a recording might help. I will try and play wuth the dB. :help:
Just listen to the start of the stage directions for the three Perseus plays that are already in the MW, the first thing I say for the stage directions is the name of the play of which three have 'Perseus' in the title. I also say the name for the placeholder cast lists for those plays if you listen a bit further on but just listening to it at the start is faster since it's the first word I say.

What program are you using instead of audacity? Maybe someone else will know how to do the amplify equivalent to fix dB because not everyone uses audacity
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Ikestudios wrote: March 8th, 2024, 11:03 am

Can you upload yourself saying ´Pur-Soos.´ I can try (cat purring in sui-o-sus?) I just don´t know how to read it the way that is needed, so a recording might help. I will try and play wuth the dB. :help:
The important thing is that it be only two syllables, not three. Purr as in a cat purring and soos to rhyme with moose.

Thanks,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hansen1021 wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:39 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_Narcissus_Narcissus.mp3

Thanks, Erik. Narcissus is now PL OK.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Winnifred wrote: March 8th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thanks, Erik. Narcissus is now PL OK.

Cheers,
Thank you, MW updated :thumbs:
LuMiness

Post by LuMiness »

May I read the Attendants?