Uploader password!!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Hi!!

Is there any way to change the uploader password?? Obviously it's been compromised often and I am worried about it leading to a security breach on my comp. My protection programs keep flagging it like I'm sure it does many of you.

Or perhaps you can tell me why its not a security issue??? :D

Thanks a lot!!

Happy Sunday!
Celine
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I see that as a Book Coordinator, you have an account on our back-end system. That account is the one that you in particular can use for the uploader and other functions, and ought to have a strong and unique password. Instructions for resetting your uploader password are here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Changing_your_Workflow_Password_after_your_first_login_–_Editing_"My_Profile"

For the generic password that we show as an image on group project pages: that account is limited to only uploading, and only a few types of files, and we want to keep that as simple and easy as possible for volunteers. It only has a password to keep the bots away, and that's worked for 10+ years. No reason to borrow trouble now. Removing it from your saved passwords should get your protection programs to relax again. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Thanks so much for your clear and prompt reply.

My main password is very strong and I'll make your suggested changes to the Uploader one.

Have a wonderful day.
Celine
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, and you too!

I'm going to bump this thread over to the Help forum, as that seems like the right place for this now. :thumbs:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.