1000 recordings to hear before you die

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I am not a fan of the "number list" sub genre. I've left "1000 recordings to hear before you die" by Tom Moon on my shelf, gathering dust, for a few years. It's in alphabetical order rather than any ranking or genre. On that basis opening up at random seems to be the way forward. Sigh...

Hmm. I opened up at Michael Jackson's Thriller and "But not for me live at the Pershing" by Ahmad Jamal. As a child of the MTV generation I am of course familiar with Thriller; but I know absolutely nought about Ahmad Jamal. OK, Jamal it is. To the Internet Archive we go...

OK, here's one with 30 second samples.
https://archive.org/details/cd_ahmad-jamal-at-the-pershing-but-not-for-me_ahmad-jamal/disc1/02.+Ahmad+Jamal+-+Surrey+With+the+Fringe+on+Top.flac

I am not quite ready to say that I have 999 left yet.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
marieholt

Post by marieholt »

I'm happy when someone also is interested in this book like me. I keep this book available on my desk during my high school study hall and encouraged students to at least glance through it to see that there's more to music than Justin Bieber or the latest "Glee" album. :thumbs:
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." geometry dash scratch
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

marieholt wrote: February 29th, 2024, 4:26 pm I'm happy when someone also is interested in this book like me. I keep this book available on my desk during my high school study hall and encouraged students to at least glance through it to see that there's more to music than Justin Bieber or the latest "Glee" album. :thumbs:
I opened another random entry:

Franz Schubert : Twelve Lieder, Moments Musicaux.

Let me think about this. This one seems to have traps for the unwary.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

lightcrystal wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:42 pm
marieholt wrote: February 29th, 2024, 4:26 pm I'm happy when someone also is interested in this book like me. I keep this book available on my desk during my high school study hall and encouraged students to at least glance through it to see that there's more to music than Justin Bieber or the latest "Glee" album. :thumbs:
I opened another random entry:

Franz Schubert : Twelve Lieder, Moments Musicaux.

Let me think about this. This one seems to have traps for the unwary.
I think that might include Schubert's "Night and Dreams!". When sung by the baritone who was rated by critics as "Second greatest singer of the twentieth century" it is what they listen to in heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAxAM5p0Qs

Barbara