Hello from Seattle!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
DougWade

Post by DougWade »

Hello there! I've just joined, and am waiting for the heater to finish up before recording my 1-Minute test. I've gotten it into my head that I want to record this short story: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72943 -- is it too ambitious for a first project? I did a search of the forum and didn't find it listed anywhere so I don't think it's claimed. If not, my understanding is I follow this guide: viewtopic.php?t=13513 to create a solo recording project?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

DougWade wrote: February 20th, 2024, 4:53 pm Hello there! I've just joined, and am waiting for the heater to finish up before recording my 1-Minute test. I've gotten it into my head that I want to record this short story: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72943 -- is it too ambitious for a first project? I did a search of the forum and didn't find it listed anywhere so I don't think it's claimed. If not, my understanding is I follow this guide: viewtopic.php?t=13513 to create a solo recording project?
Hi again, Doug,

(I just responded to your 1-minute test.) This story is 6,637 words, which isn't really suited for a solo project because it's too short. Solos are generally longer than that, and require that you coordinate the project as well as read it. It would be better to start by doing some shorter recordings to familiarize yourself with how things work here before embarking on a solo.

However, the story you propose is eminently suitable for one of the short story collections we have here (e.g., the general short story collection, or perhaps it's better suited to the science fiction collection). You can find these and more in the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum.

Once you've passed your 1-minute test, I'd advise you to find some readings that are shorter than this story (maybe a Fortnightly or Weekly poem? Or a short children's story chapter?) to get your feet wet before doing a nearly 7K word story. You may find that length of reading (probably close to an hour) a bit taxing for a first foray. But once you've done a couple of shorter readings, this one should be easy enough, and there's lots of places you can offer it.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
DougWade

Post by DougWade »

Thanks for the guidance Winnifred! I've resubmitted the 1-minute test, and once it comes back I'll do the weekly and fortnightly poems to start getting some reps under my belt.