Just Curious...

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

Hey, I am just curious about this, it's a question that a friend of mine (and I) were wondering about. Can you do the PL for your own project? even if you don't really have any experience doing it, you just think that you could do it?
-Iona
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, for two reasons:

1. We want a different set of ears in case a reader inserts something they shouldn't. (This happened once, where a reader inserted a note stating their opinion of bull-fighting. If I recall correctly, that was one of the catalysts to require PLs.)

2. It's too easy for a reader to miss something in their own recording. They're too used to the material and their own voice. Note how many PL notes there are on submitted chapters; a reader is supposed to submit a file that's ready to catalog, yet there are mistakes, even though they've already PL'd their own file (or should have) before submitting. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

You can't PL your own solo project.
In your own group project, you can PL other reades sections, but not your own.

Cross post. :mrgreen:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

After I typed that, I wonder what you mean by "your own project."

If you're coordinating a group project, then sure - you can DPL others' submissions, no problem. We do ask that if you record anything in your own group project, that you get someone else to listen to that part.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
IonaMuirgel2002

Now that you say it, I totally understand that about the different set of ears. What does DPL mean? (blush) I am afraid I don't quite remember the meaning for that one. Usually, I can understand acronyms or shortened words, but this time I couldn't quite call up my skill :D .

Something funny, I am upstairs editing, and my older sister came up to put something away, she sat down next to me and listened for a little while. All of a sudden, she burst out "wait, is that you reading?!?" She did not recognize that it was me because of my accent! :lol: Success! Now I can listen to myself without any of my friends being able to tell that I just like listening to Britt's talking! It is my favorite kind of ambiance. (Not really)
Thanks,
-Iona
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:29 am ... What does DPL mean? ...
Thanks,
-Iona
DPL = Dedicated Proof Listener. Someone who will PL the whole book/project.
Bernd

reader page of lorda

IonaMuirgel2002

But what is the difference between the jobs of the DPL and the PL?
-Iona
You and I are most likely going back and forth between the five little peppers forum and this forum, among all the other forums that catch my attention and that I just have to check out! :lol:
-Phyllis Diller

lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:40 am But what is the difference between the jobs of the DPL and the PL?
-Iona
You and I are most likely going back and forth between the five little peppers forum and this forum, among all the other forums that catch my attention and that I just have to check out! :lol:
DPL is only an extension to PL. DPL, as I write befor, PLs the complete project.
So the PL is mostly the volunteer who listen to the sections. For a complete project we call him/her DPL. :wink:
Bernd

reader page of lorda

IonaMuirgel2002

:thumbs:
-Phyllis Diller

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sometimes there's a request posted for PLs/DPLs in this forum. The request might be for a DPL for the whole book, or just for a few sections of group project. Right now, for example, there's a request for someone to PL sections that were read by the DPL of a dramatic reading.

Sometimes they're looking for someone to PL the finished chapters in a dramatic reading (each of the individual lines is parts-PL'd before that, then everything is edited together, and the edited together play/reading has to be PL'd as well).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
IonaMuirgel2002

Thanks!
-Iona

Cheer's to you as well! :D
-Phyllis Diller