~[JAP. MYTHS] Kojiki Records of Ancient Matters by Ō no Yasumaro - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
GeoffreyEdwards
Location: Box 311 Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada R0K1W0 1-204-728-1306

Post by GeoffreyEdwards »

Kojiki 古事記 Records of Ancient Matters, by Ō no Yasumaro (Unknown - 723) and Hieda no Are (Unknown - Unknown), translated by Basil Hall Chamberlain (1850 - 1935)
Kojiki (古事記 Records of Ancient Matters) is Japan's oldest book. At the request of Emperor Tenmu (天武天皇) the oral tradition that comprises Kojiki was collected and memorized by Hieda no Are (稗田 阿礼). Decades later at the request of Empress Genmei (元明天皇) Kojiki was written by Ō no Yasumaro (太 安万侶) using Chinese characters to represent Old Japanese sounds. Kojiki describes Kami (神) including the primordial Amenominakanushi (天之御中主神 Master of the August Center of Heaven), Takamimusubi (高御産巣日神 High August Producing Wondrous Deity) and Kamimusubi (神産巣日神 Divine Producing Wondrous Deity). Motoori Norinaga (本居 宣長), one of the Four Great Men of Kokugaku (國學の四大人), spent 35 years of his life writing a 44 volume commentary on Kojiki called Kojiki-den (古事記伝). Kojiki holds an important place in Shinto (神道) and contains rituals, hymns, ceremonies, poetry, histories and genealogies. One page and a few scattered sentences were translated into Latin to preserve modesty. Translated by Basil Hall Chamberlain. Cover: Communion of Sif and Benzaiten by comic artist Robin Bougie. (Summary Created by Geoffrey Edwards using Wikipedia and Kojiki)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/transactionsasi27japagoog/page/n8/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2027-02-14

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Other religions; *Non-fiction/History/Antiquity
Keywords that describe the book: religion, Japan, ethics, Asia, theology, Japanese, shinto, theogony, shintoism, state shinto, kami, genealogy, 神, 神道
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Kojiki. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Kojiki by Hieda no Are & Ō no Yasumaro & translated by Basil Hall Chamberlain. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Kojiki by Hieda no Are & Ō no Yasumaro & translated by Basil Chamberlain. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Kojiki by Hieda no Are & Ō no Yasumaro & translated by Basil Hall Chamberlain."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: kojiki_##_yasumaro_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. kojiki_01_yasumaro_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by GeoffreyEdwards on April 14th, 2024, 11:44 am, edited 38 times in total.
GeoffreyEdwards

Only the English translation, not the original Japanese. This project will be a very slow burn. About one section a month for 3 years. 🧛
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've had my own eye on this one. Never mustered the stamina... :shock:

How are you going to deal with all the footnotes?

Also: Isn't there a version on gutenberg too?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
GeoffreyEdwards

Footnotes won't be read but the few Latin portions in the body of the text will. 🧛

To my knowledge Kojiki isn't on Gutenberg.🦇

It took a lot of hunting to find even this version of the text on the internet archive. 🧟
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

https://sacred-texts.com/shi/kj/index.htm
I knew I had seen this in a nice html version. ;-)

Even if you read from this version, I'd like your DPL to proof against the text on archive (If they choose to read along which is not necessary for standard DPLing).

I'll set this up for you a bit later today.
Happy to see this recorded! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
GeoffreyEdwards

Thank you. That will help. 🧛
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the late reply, this totally dropped off my radar...

Anyway, we're ready for this now! Good luck!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
GeoffreyEdwards

No Problem. Thanks. 🧛
GeoffreyEdwards