[COMPLETE] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

richardwiedeman wrote: February 17th, 2024, 6:43 am
Winnifred wrote: February 15th, 2024, 3:59 pm
Sorry, Richard. Missed this earlier. However, the bit rate is incorrect at 192 kbps (should be 128 kbps). Can you please correct that and reupload?

Thanks,
Oh, shoot. My mistake. Here's the updated file at 128k: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_04_pratt_128kb_v2.mp3
Ah, but you've changed the file name. Please snip out the _v2 and reupload. It's important to keep the filename the same always or the MC will have a huge pile of files to sort through and discard at the end of the project. There are safeguards in place to prevent accidental overwriting.

Thanks,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

JimmyO wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:57 pm And how's this for weird....

Trying to workaround, I uploaded the file to my own website so maybe I wouldn't have to hit the Librivox servers as much, checked the URL and...

Volume 91.6 dB
DC Bias +8 (+0.0256%)

So it appears that Librivox servers are doing something to the file.
I've had some suggestions from others, including an admin, who say it's extremely unlikely for this to be a Checker issue. When I look through our exchange again, I realize that the one thing we didn't try was to have you re-upload your (Checker-approved) file and see if my results on that are the same as yours. Could you please try that?

The site was down yesterday and a bit buggy before it went down. It's possible that your upload of Chapter 12 either corrupted or didn't make it through at all, which would explain me repeatedly getting different results from the online file.

Thanks,
Winnifred
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

Winnifred wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:47 pm
JimmyO wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:57 pm And how's this for weird....

Trying to workaround, I uploaded the file to my own website so maybe I wouldn't have to hit the Librivox servers as much, checked the URL and...

Volume 91.6 dB
DC Bias +8 (+0.0256%)

So it appears that Librivox servers are doing something to the file.
I've had some suggestions from others, including an admin, who say it's extremely unlikely for this to be a Checker issue. When I look through our exchange again, I realize that the one thing we didn't try was to have you re-upload your (Checker-approved) file and see if my results on that are the same as yours. Could you please try that?

The site was down yesterday and a bit buggy before it went down. It's possible that your upload of Chapter 12 either corrupted or didn't make it through at all, which would explain me repeatedly getting different results from the online file.

Thanks,
Sure, 12 re-uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_12_pratt_128kb.mp3

For reference, here are the numbers I get (pre-upload/local) from Checker:

onslaughtfromrigel_12_pratt_128kb.mp3
File Size 20.9 MiB

Encoding Type MPEG-1 Layer III (encoded with LAME3.99r)
MP3 Format 128 kbps 44,100 Hz Mono
Track Length 22:46.99 (m:ss.ss)

Volume 91.6 dB
DC Bias +8 (+0.0256%)
Clipped Audio 0 ms (0.00%)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

JimmyO wrote: February 17th, 2024, 1:26 pm Sure, 12 re-uploaded.

File Size 20.9 MiB

Volume 91.6 dB
DC Bias +8 (+0.0256%)
And we have a matching set! Same numbers at my end. :clap: :clap:

I've put it into the MW for PL.

What a relief!

Thanks,
Winnifred
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

Winnifred wrote: February 17th, 2024, 2:22 pm
JimmyO wrote: February 17th, 2024, 1:26 pm Sure, 12 re-uploaded.

File Size 20.9 MiB

Volume 91.6 dB
DC Bias +8 (+0.0256%)
And we have a matching set! Same numbers at my end. :clap: :clap:

I've put it into the MW for PL.

What a relief!

Thanks,
Oh! That is a relief. Thank you so much, Winnifred, for your perseverance!
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

May I have chapter 21 please?

Thanks!
Adam
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AdamP wrote: February 17th, 2024, 2:57 pm May I have chapter 21 please?

Thanks!
Adam
Welcome to Librivox, Adam!

Before I assign you this chapter, please make and submit a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up is ok. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it).

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications match those required by Librivox. (If you use Audacity, see Audacity 3.4.2 user? Here's how to ace this test for information about those specs.) It would be a shame to record a section then have to redo it because some basic setting is incorrect.

Once your test is approved, head back here and claim your section. I'll tentatively reserve section 21 for you until March 2, pending that approval. When you return, please read the top of this thread carefully, as it contains all the instructions you'll need to submit your section.

I look forward to your first foray into reading for Librivox!

Cheers,
Winnifred
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Thanks! I'll get on it right away. Appreciate the help!
richardwiedeman

Post by richardwiedeman »

Winnifred wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:42 pm
Winnifred wrote: February 15th, 2024, 3:59 pm

Sorry, Richard. Missed this earlier. However, the bit rate is incorrect at 192 kbps (should be 128 kbps). Can you please correct that and reupload?

Thanks,
Oh, shoot. My mistake. Here's the updated file at 128k: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_04_pratt_128kb_v2.mp3
Ah, but you've changed the file name. Please snip out the _v2 and reupload. It's important to keep the filename the same always or the MC will have a huge pile of files to sort through and discard at the end of the project. There are safeguards in place to prevent accidental overwriting.

Thanks,
Ah, okay understood: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_04_pratt_128kb.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Ready for PL. Please remember to include the length of the recording when you post in future.

Thanks,
Winnifred
Xtofer42

Post by Xtofer42 »

Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:37 am
Hi Chris, Great reading. I really enjoy your cadence and variations with the voices. Just a few edits please:

Around 11:58 - repeat of "Shortly afterward, the Melbourne began to see the do..."

Around 8:53 - heard "The first is from the South American government." should be "The first is from the South African government."

Around 7:36 - omitted this portion ..."but Walter Beeville, who had joined the group at the bridge, said under his breath:c"If those birds have enough intelligence to plan out anything like that I'll eat my hat.""

Around 2:48 - repeat of "the earth seemed to rush up to meet them, tumbling, topsy-turvy. "
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_08_pratt_128kb.mp3 16:45

Corrections made
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Xtofer42 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:35 am
Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:37 am Hi Chris, Great reading. I really enjoy your cadence and variations with the voices. Just a few edits please:

Around 11:58 - repeat of "Shortly afterward, the Melbourne began to see the do..."

Around 8:53 - heard "The first is from the South American government." should be "The first is from the South African government."

Around 7:36 - omitted this portion ..."but Walter Beeville, who had joined the group at the bridge, said under his breath:c"If those birds have enough intelligence to plan out anything like that I'll eat my hat.""

Around 2:48 - repeat of "the earth seemed to rush up to meet them, tumbling, topsy-turvy. "
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_08_pratt_128kb.mp3 16:45

Corrections made
Ready for spot PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AdamP wrote: February 17th, 2024, 4:41 pm Thanks! I'll get on it right away. Appreciate the help!
And Chapter 21 is now yours. Remember to check out the first post for instructions about the file name, what to say at the start/end, how much silence to include, etc.

Feel free to ask questions along the way.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

richardwiedeman wrote: February 17th, 2024, 4:43 pm
Winnifred wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thanks,
Ah, okay understood: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_04_pratt_128kb.mp3
PL OK! Very nicely read!
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Xtofer42 wrote: February 18th, 2024, 1:55 am
Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:37 am
Hi Chris, Great reading. I really enjoy your cadence and variations with the voices. Just a few edits please:

Corrections made
Spot PL OK! Great job with the edits.
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America