[WESTERN ADVENTURE] With Carson and Fremont, by Edwin L. Sabin -brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Post Reply
vivacious
Posts: 8
Joined: February 7th, 2024, 1:38 pm

Post by vivacious »

Hi there! I'm a huge Western fan and would love to record "Fremont calls again." I'm a newbie to Librivox, so please let me know any steps I'll need to take for my first recording! I've already set up and configured my microphone and Audacity and posted my 1 minute test. Thanks!
silverquill
Posts: 28559
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by silverquill »

vivacious wrote: February 11th, 2024, 5:46 am Hi there! I'm a huge Western fan and would love to record "Fremont calls again." I'm a newbie to Librivox, so please let me know any steps I'll need to take for my first recording! I've already set up and configured my microphone and Audacity and posted my 1 minute test. Thanks!
That's great!
I would be thrilled to have you read for us in this project.
I do need to know exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.
~ Larry
DesertWanderer
Posts: 2
Joined: February 9th, 2024, 6:27 pm

Post by DesertWanderer »

Hello,

I would like to read section 13 - To the Great Salty Lake.
Cbteddy
Posts: 1299
Joined: September 16th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Location: Somewhere out there

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 9 (13:51). Almost sounds like they were the first recorded white water rafting trip! Glad everyone was ok.

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
silverquill
Posts: 28559
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by silverquill »

DesertWanderer wrote: February 12th, 2024, 6:44 am Hello,

I would like to read section 13 - To the Great Salty Lake.
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Here is a direct link to instructions for the one-minute sample recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, post again here and you are free to record for this project. Let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or any nickname or handle you wish.

I would strongly recommend, however, that you begin with something a bit shorter so you get a feel for the time and effort it takes to produce a finished recording, and for our process here.
~ Larry
silverquill
Posts: 28559
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by silverquill »

Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:54 pm Hello! Here is section 9 (13:51). Almost sounds like they were the first recorded white water rafting trip! Glad everyone was ok.

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Claire!
All set for PL
~ Larry
BetsyWalker
Posts: 948
Joined: January 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Post by BetsyWalker »

Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:54 pm Hello! Here is section 9 (13:51). Almost sounds like they were the first recorded white water rafting trip! Glad everyone was ok.
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Hi Claire - It was an exciting river trip!

I have just a couple of fixes:

At 2:55
You inserted “never” into “had been disappointed”

At 8:53
A lot of the French pronunciation is a bit off; but I think most of it can just be left as is. However, this sentence really should be redone. I’ve set up an example for you at the link below. On the left side where you see the sentence “Je m’en vais mourir avant que de te lâcher”, there is a small speaker symbol which will play it for you.
http://tinyurl.com/4xjv5tdv

If you encounter more French (not sure, I haven't looked ahead) you might like to use this website (https://translate.google.com/) to learn the pronunciations. Just copy and paste the word, phrase or sentence into the box on the left side making sure that French is indicated as the language. It will automatically provide you with that symbol to click to hear a sample. Fortunately, most of the French is translated in the text, which is a good thing. But LV may have some French listeners who'd want it to be closer.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
DesertWanderer
Posts: 2
Joined: February 9th, 2024, 6:27 pm

Post by DesertWanderer »

silverquill wrote: February 13th, 2024, 2:35 pm
DesertWanderer wrote: February 12th, 2024, 6:44 am Hello,

I would like to read section 13 - To the Great Salty Lake.
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Here is a direct link to instructions for the one-minute sample recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, post again here and you are free to record for this project. Let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or any nickname or handle you wish.

I would strongly recommend, however, that you begin with something a bit shorter so you get a feel for the time and effort it takes to produce a finished recording, and for our process here.
***
Thanks, I'll do the test recording and then get back to you. I actually did a dry-run reading on chapter 13 and didn't realize how much effort it would take.
Cbteddy
Posts: 1299
Joined: September 16th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Location: Somewhere out there

Post by Cbteddy »

BetsyWalker wrote: February 13th, 2024, 5:53 pm
Cbteddy wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:54 pm Hello! Here is section 9 (13:51). Almost sounds like they were the first recorded white water rafting trip! Glad everyone was ok.
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Hi Claire - It was an exciting river trip!

I have just a couple of fixes:

At 2:55
You inserted “never” into “had been disappointed”

At 8:53
A lot of the French pronunciation is a bit off; but I think most of it can just be left as is. However, this sentence really should be redone. I’ve set up an example for you at the link below. On the left side where you see the sentence “Je m’en vais mourir avant que de te lâcher”, there is a small speaker symbol which will play it for you.
http://tinyurl.com/4xjv5tdv

If you encounter more French (not sure, I haven't looked ahead) you might like to use this website (https://translate.google.com/) to learn the pronunciations. Just copy and paste the word, phrase or sentence into the box on the left side making sure that French is indicated as the language. It will automatically provide you with that symbol to click to hear a sample. Fortunately, most of the French is translated in the text, which is a good thing. But LV may have some French listeners who'd want it to be closer.

Betsy
Hi Betsy! Thanks so much for the constructive feedback. Very helpful. I continue to lean heavily on Google Translate, and often I'll sit there and play the phrase, and practice it, several times. But it's like it flies out of my head as soon as I put the microphone back on record lol. I do find it easier to try to break the phrase down into smaller chunks and put it all together.

Run time is the same, and file has been re-uploaded with edits.

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
silverquill
Posts: 28559
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by silverquill »

Cbteddy wrote: February 17th, 2024, 6:53 pm
Run time is the same, and file has been re-uploaded with edits.

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Thank you for working on this!
Always something new to learn here on LibriVox

I've marked this Ready for Spot PL
~ Larry
BetsyWalker
Posts: 948
Joined: January 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Post by BetsyWalker »

Cbteddy wrote: February 17th, 2024, 6:53 pm
Hi Betsy! Thanks so much for the constructive feedback. Very helpful. I continue to lean heavily on Google Translate, and often I'll sit there and play the phrase, and practice it, several times. But it's like it flies out of my head as soon as I put the microphone back on record lol. I do find it easier to try to break the phrase down into smaller chunks and put it all together.
Run time is the same, and file has been re-uploaded with edits.
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/carsonandfremont_09_sabin_128kb.mp3
Much better! We're PL Okay! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
macklinkelly
Posts: 7
Joined: February 15th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Post by macklinkelly »

May I read Chapter 17 - "Scant Christmas Comfort?" (I just posted my one-minute test.)

Thanks!
silverquill
Posts: 28559
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by silverquill »

macklinkelly wrote: February 19th, 2024, 4:25 pm May I read Chapter 17 - "Scant Christmas Comfort?" (I just posted my one-minute test.)

Thanks!
Thank you for your interest in this project!

I've left remarks on you test recording, and it is definitely a pass, so you are good to go. :thumbs:

I just need to know exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

You are free to start recording in the mean time.
~ Larry
vivacious
Posts: 8
Joined: February 7th, 2024, 1:38 pm

Post by vivacious »

silverquill wrote: February 12th, 2024, 5:41 am
vivacious wrote: February 11th, 2024, 5:46 am Hi there! I'm a huge Western fan and would love to record "Fremont calls again." I'm a newbie to Librivox, so please let me know any steps I'll need to take for my first recording! I've already set up and configured my microphone and Audacity and posted my 1 minute test. Thanks!
That's great!
I would be thrilled to have you read for us in this project.
I do need to know exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.
Hi there! I'd like to be listed as Tracy Angela please. :)
macklinkelly
Posts: 7
Joined: February 15th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Post by macklinkelly »

Please credit me as Macklin Kelly. I'll start recording chapter 17 soon.

Thanks!
Post Reply