COMPLETE The Story of Slavery by Booker T. Washington-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

msfry wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:59 am PL Notes Preface

Third: Please note that all filenames throughout the project must be identical except for ##, and we don't use capital letters. Thus, you must rename your file storyofslavery_00_washington_128kb (even though Scott wrote the sketch).
The MC (me) will update all file names during cataloging to make sure no typos get through uncaught, so it's optional to change the file name for this file. I personally prefer that you DON'T change the name of a file you've already uploaded once. That way I don't end up with multiple names for the same file in the uploader ... leaving me to wonder later on which one is the "good" one. It also means that you don't have to update the link in the Magic Window when you upload the corrected file. Don't worry, our uploader software will rename the OLD version of the file when you upload a NEW version, so behind the scenes, I can access every version of the file that you have uploaded.

It is good practice to make these changes starting with section 2.
msfry wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:59 am NOTE #1: I usually add the date published to the first section's Intro, because I find it helps the listener understand the historical context for what follows. Some things written 300 years ago sound amazingly like they apply today, others may sound weird or offensive to modern ears without clarifying the date. BC's often put publication date in their Summaries, but it serves well to mention it in the Intro too considering that listeners do not have the text in front of them.
This is not part of our standard intro. I suggest you add it to the summary if you think it is important. We do not encourage people to change the standard intro/outro text.

And sorry that I didn't catch and edit the translator out of the intro in your first post. I generally try to make the edits needed to the standard template language, but I missed it here.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

LaVoice,

Also, sure to change the status of each section in the Magic Window. Right now section 0 says "assigned". When you upload a section and it's ready for Michele to listen to, change the status to "Ready for PL". Once you've made the corrections she's requested and uploaded a new file, change the status to "Ready for Spot PL". She will change it to PL OK once she checks your corrections.

Before I catalog, I'll want to see every section marked PL OK.

MaryAnn
LaVoice

Post by LaVoice »

Housekeeping notes:
First, your project title should leave off ", translated by Emmett J. Scott (1873 - 1957)". First, he was not the translator, just the author of an introduction, and we don't add those names to the title or filename.
Second: you should rename Preface in the Magic Window (MW) to what it is actually called on the title page: "Biographical Sketch"
Third: Please note that all filenames throughout the project must be identical except for ##, and we don't use capital letters. Thus, you must rename your file storyofslavery_00_washington_128kb (even though Scott wrote the sketch).

As to PL Notes on this file:
1:26 to find his mother kneeling on the earth floor, you leave off "earth", which seems an important detail in this particular story.
5:19 "I swept that re-ci-tation room three times, you say re-ces-i-tation :lol:
9:11 replace End of Preface with End of Biographical Sketch.

After making the above edits, edit the Intro thus:
"The Story of Slavery, by Booker T. Washington, published in 1913, begins with a Biographical Sketch by Emmett J. Scott, long disclaimer, read by your name, pause, Biographical Sketch, read text.
NOTE #1: I usually add the date published to the first section's Intro, because I find it helps the listener understand the historical context for what follows. Some things written 300 years ago sound amazingly like they apply today, others may sound weird or offensive to modern ears without clarifying the date. BC's often put publication date in their Summaries, but it serves well to mention it in the Intro too considering that listeners do not have the text in front of them.
NOTE #2: I put editing the Intro last because it will likely change the time stamps I cited above for all the other segments. Sometimes I recommend making edits from back to front to avoid this problem, but here I suspect this will work.

Make these edits, save file using new name, upload, add to the MW, and post notice of the upload. On solos with a DPL, you don't need to add the filename to your post. We can both work off of the MW. This is different in a group project where multiple readers uploading their files have no access to the MW.

Your voice and delivery sound rich and dynamic, your pacing is good, your tech specs are well within range, so try to keep your recording settings as they are.

If you need help making edits, I can coach you via Zoom or you can find video editing tips and tricks in our Wiki (see Header menu above) under Tutorials.
Hello!

I wanted to thank you for all the great feed back. I made the corrections to the Biographical Sketch and fixed all my grammar issues. Late nights in the studio will get you every time. I guess I was trying to Resuscitate the story back to life :lol: . LOL

I also uploaded Chapter 1 to be PL.

I hope you have a blessed weekend and look forward to your critiques!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Biographical Sketch is PL OK, edits done like a pro! :D

PL Notes Chapter 1

Intro is not in the proper form. It should begin "Chapter 1 of The Story of Slavery, by Booker T. Washington, this Librivox recording is in the Public Domain. read by your name, Chapter 1.
I recommend you edit your first post to reflect this verbiage (instead of the original language automatically generated there under "subsequent chapters".), and read from it for consistency. This habit will stand you in good stead when/if you BC other projects, too, with proof listeners who rely on the First Post to know what to listen for.

:56 It is with the coming of these first African slaves, you say American

You added "the" to the beginning of your filename. When you upload these edits, please rename your file
storyofslavery_01_washington.
Keeping file names short by eliminating "a" and "the", etc., is common LV practice.

TIP: to keep from making file-naming errors, I recommend that readers copy and paste from the First Post when they name each file. And as you collect saved files in a folder on your computer, double check that they all line up alike. It's easy to spot mistakes that way:
storyofslavery_00_washington
thestoryofslavery_01_washington

Per Mary's instructions as to marking file status in the MW (ready for PL, see PL notes, ready for spot PL, PL OK), the status of all our projects is tabulated on a Reader Details page, which is tied (magically) to the Magic Window. I can glance at my personal page and see what obligations I have left to do. I can also see what other readers are doing. Let's take a look at the "reader details" of our MC, MaryAnn Spiegel. WOW, she's got 3 solos going on right now, in various stages of completion!!!!! Busy lady.
To get to your Reader Details, just type your name in the search bar on the home page, click on your name, then Reader Section Details, which updates throughout the day (reader view, and PL view).
LaVoice

Post by LaVoice »

Housekeeping notes:
First, your project title should leave off ", translated by Emmett J. Scott (1873 - 1957)". First, he was not the translator, just the author of an introduction, and we don't add those names to the title or filename.
Second: you should rename Preface in the Magic Window (MW) to what it is actually called on the title page: "Biographical Sketch"

As to PL Notes on this file:
1:26 to find his mother kneeling on the earth floor, you leave off "earth", which seems an important detail in this particular story.
5:19 "I swept that re-ci-tation room three times, you say re-ces-i-tation :lol:
9:11 replace End of Preface with End of Biographical Sketch.

After making the above edits, edit the Intro thus:
"The Story of Slavery, by Booker T. Washington, published in 1913, begins with a Biographical Sketch by Emmett J. Scott, long disclaimer, read by your name, pause, Biographical Sketch, read text.
NOTE #1: I usually add the date published to the first section's Intro, because I find it helps the listener understand the historical context for what follows. Some things written 300 years ago sound amazingly like they apply today, others may sound weird or offensive to modern ears without clarifying the date. BC's often put publication date in their Summaries, but it serves well to mention it in the Intro too considering that listeners do not have the text in front of them.
NOTE #2: I put editing the Intro last because it will likely change the time stamps I cited above for all the other segments. Sometimes I recommend making edits from back to front to avoid this problem, but here I suspect this will work.

Make these edits, save file using new name, upload, add to the MW, and post notice of the upload. On solos with a DPL, you don't need to add the filename to your post. We can both work off of the MW. This is different in a group project where multiple readers uploading their files have no access to the MW.

Your voice and delivery sound rich and dynamic, your pacing is good, your tech specs are well within range, so try to keep your recording settings as they are.

If you need help making edits, I can coach you via Zoom or you can find video editing tips and tricks in our Wiki (see Header menu above) under Tutorials.

Hello MsFry!

I have chapter 1 ready for re- PL due to corrections made.
Chapters 2,3, and 4 are ready for PL.
I hope all has been well and happy listening!!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes
1, 2, AND 3 are PL OK

6:07 He was attracted thi-ther, you say tie-ther. Sounds a bit weird. Should rhyme with "slither"

And that's all the PL notes I have on this amazing little book. It was authentic throughout, and I particularly enjoyed the song at the end, and I bask in anticipation how every future listener has this delightful little surprise in store!

HOUSEKEEPING NOTES:
Now would be a good time to review your Summary, and fill out "Summary by . . . "

I notice all your file names left off the _128kb, which is part of the file name as it is shown in the First Post. Let's ask MaryAnn if that bit is required in all our file names. If it is, it would be easier for her to add it during cataloging rather than you renaming and uploading each file again.

As BC's can add sections to the MW but can't delete them, MaryAnn will have to remove the extraneous Section 5.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Section 5 has been removed from the MW.

Yes, the _128kb is required as part of the file names. It's used over at Archive to make sure the derivation goes according to plan. I can add it during cataloging, but it's a good to include it when you name your files.

MaryAnn
LaVoice

Post by LaVoice »

msfry wrote: February 26th, 2024, 9:05 am PL Notes
1, 2, AND 3 are PL OK

6:07 He was attracted thi-ther, you say tie-ther. Sounds a bit weird. Should rhyme with "slither"

And that's all the PL notes I have on this amazing little book. It was authentic throughout, and I particularly enjoyed the song at the end, and I bask in anticipation how every future listener has this delightful little surprise in store!

HOUSEKEEPING NOTES:
Now would be a good time to review your Summary, and fill out "Summary by . . . "

I notice all your file names left off the _128kb, which is part of the file name as it is shown in the First Post. Let's ask MaryAnn if that bit is required in all our file names. If it is, it would be easier for her to add it during cataloging rather than you renaming and uploading each file again.

As BC's can add sections to the MW but can't delete them, MaryAnn will have to remove the extraneous Section 5.
Hello! I made the fix @ 6:07 mark. I'm not tracking how to review summary and fill it out :help: . My bad about leaving off the _128kbs. So many little things to do :)
I've really enjoyed doing this project. I've grown so much in the process. You and MaryAnn have been awesome! Thank you both so much for walking me through this process. I've learned a ton. I look forward to future projects.
msfry

Post by msfry »

4 is PL OK And that's all folks!

You can change anything that appears in the First Post of your projects, as you can with any of your own posts, by hitting the Edit button (pencil) upper right. It brings up a coded page. Track through to where the Summary says Summary by, and credit whomever wrote your summary, presumably you. Or maybe you copied it from the book in which case you'd say (Summary from book, or Summary by author), etc. When done, hit Preview to make sure it looks right, hit Submit when done.

Also, please post your notices of edits made to a new post rather than into the MW notes. It's nice for the PL'er to track all the changes made in one post, and check against that. Also, the MW does not send out information when it is changed.

Yes there is a learning curve and you'll get tips from different people, but after a few runs you'll have it mastered. You did great, and I look forward to seeing you around the LV playground! :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Darryl,

Congratulations on finishing your first solo! I hope it's the first of many many more.

I am getting this ready for the catalog and have a couple of questions for you.

1. Are you happy with the summary in the first post? If not, now's the time to change it. As Michele said, you can edit the first post at any time. If you do change the summary there, it's a good idea to also post in the thread to let your MC know that you've made changes because I need to make the same changes to summary in our catalog database. Lot easier for me to do that before I finish cataloging than after everything is done!

You can also post an updated summary in the project thread without updating the first post ... I see people do it both ways and as long as your MC knows about the change, both methods work equally well.

2. We have a team of cover makers who will gladly make a cover for this audio book .... but some soloists (Michele and I included) like to do their own. You can read more about that here: viewtopic.php?t=28785

The soloist has first claim to make the cover .... but you need to put in your claim before I push this project into the catalog. A that point, it is opened up to the whole cover maker team to claim on a first come basis. You can tell me (and I can put in the claim for you), or you can post your claim in the cover thread linked above. Your project number is 20232. You can see that by hovering your mouse over the "BC Admin" link right below the Magic Window.

So, do you want to make the cover yourself or let someone on our cover maker team do it? No pressure, I just don't want to put this cover into the general pool if it's something you'd like to try your hand at.

MaryAnn
LaVoice

Post by LaVoice »

I want to begin by thanking you both for all your help. The only change I made to the summary was adding "Emmett J. Scott. At this time I'm ok with the team making a cover for the project. I looked at the link and did not want to dive into that Sea just yet :lol:

I hope I wasn't to difficult and really enjoyed working on this project with you both MaryAnn and MsFry. Yes I will be back for more and I am now armed with Librivox ammunition thanks to you two, to get the job done correctly. I wish you both the best. God bless!
msfry

Post by msfry »

I will try to claim the cover tomorrow morning, once it gets catalogued and posted to the claims board. That might work unless someone else claims it first.

You were not difficult at all! It's a great pleasure for me to mentor "newbies", especially those like yourself who are eager to learn the ropes. And, I keep learning more myself. :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-slavery-by-booker-t-washington/