[HISTORY] The Story of Coventry, by Mary Dormer Harris - availle

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

JorWat wrote: January 1st, 2024, 4:59 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:04 pm Hello! Here is section 16 (31:29). I did my best with the pronunciations of the Old English (?) but am happy to make any changes as needed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_16_harris_128kb.mp3
Here are your notes:

1:17: 'Hard by people stood the Searching-house' should be 'Hard by stood the Searching-house'
1:59: You're missing "An order of leet passed in 1518 gives very precise directions for the searching process." here
2:00 (not required): I think 'foloeth' in "Hit is to be had in mynde that for a trueth of Clothmakyng to be had in this cite as foloeth" is to be parsed as 'follow-eth' (i.e. an old form of 'follows')
2:16 (not required): 'recouered' in "remedie to be recouered to eny welth or prosperite" is 'recovered'.
2:21: 'ij' in "hit is thought hit were good to have ij wevers & ij walkers" is II, or 2.
2:32: 'vj' in "and also to be chosen vj drapers to be maisters" is VI, or 6
2:44: 'vj' again in "yet some of these vj maisters schall euer be ther"
2:46 (not required): 'besynes' in "And by cause it were to great a besynes for the serchers" is 'business'
2:51 (not required): 'mannes' in "to go to every mannes howse" is 'man's'
2:54: "hit it enacted" should be "hit is enacted"
2:56: 'haue' in "at this lete to haue a howse of the gilde" is 'have'
3:16: Repetition of 'it' in "& to se it ouer a perche"
3:37 (not required): 'suerte' in "ffor of suerte ther is in London" is 'surety'.
4:10: 'fourme' in "And this serche to be made also this fourme" is 'form'
4:12: 'ij' again in "that is to sey ij days in the weke". Also, 'weke' is 'week'
4:16: 'ij' again in "and ij of the serchers"
4:19-4:23: This should be read as "from 8 of the clock to a[n] 11, and from one to 4 of the clock"
4:23 (not required): 'ordeyned' in "and a sealer to be ordeyned" is 'ordained'
4:33: 'ij' again in "and the sealles to be put in a cofre with ij keys"
4:37: No "and" before "the master of the vj drapers to have the on". Also, 'vj' again, and 'on' is 'one'
4:41: 'j d.' in "and for the serche of every cloth to the serchers to have j d." is '1 p' or 'one pence'
5:01: 'Calais' "who traded in wool as members of the Staple of Calais" is pronounced 'CAL-ey'
5:15 (not required): "and take rank among the country gentry" should be "and take rank among the county gentry"
7:05 (not required): "Just as, about a hundred years before that" should be "Just as, about a hundred years before that time"
7:20: I'm hearing 'prensent' instead of 'present' in "and "present" them for any "fault or confederacy" at the court of the mayor" ('pri-ZENT' in this case, as it's a verb)
13:13: 'pepull' in "hit is like myche of the kynges pepull" is 'people'
13:15: "and in the speciall poor chapmen and clothemakers" should be "and in speciall poor chapmen and clothemakers"
13:47: 'eese' in "Never the later for his own eese he will com to his brakemon" is 'ease'.
13:58 (not required): "the metal comes to be sold for making fishing hooks" should be "the metal comes to be sold for making fish hooks"
14:20: 'misgouerned atte herthe' in "Lo, here is a stryng or ij (two) that hathe ben misgouerned atte herthe" is 'misgoverned at hearth'
14:26 (not required): 'dever' in "my brakemon hathe don his dever" is 'devoir' (duh-VWAHR)
14:41: I'm not hearing 'hit' in "but neverthelater he sethe be cause hit is cutte"
15:10: 'lege peapull' in "in fortheryng of the kynges true lege peapull" is 'liege people'
15:13: 'eschueng' in "and in eschueng of all disseytes" is 'eschewing'
15:55: Large gap between "were ones or thies disseyved withe" and "ontrewe wire"
16:02 (not required): I believe 'warre' in "he wolde be warre" is 'ware', as in 'Cognizant, informed, conscious', like 'aware'
16:11 (not required): I believe 'honde' in "amend your honde" is 'hand'
16:22: I believe 'eontrewe' in "and the kinges peapull not disseyved with eontrewe goode" is 'untrue'
16:59: 'ne' in "no colour ne sotell imagynacion" is a form of 'nor'. Also, 'sotell' is 'subtle'.
17:06: 'grevying' in "the whiche may be hynderying or grevying to the kinges lege pepull" is 'greiving'. Also, 'lege pepull' is 'liege people' again.
18:56 (not required): 'inveighing' in "taunting the corporation with injustice and inveighing against the rules" is pronounced 'in-VEY-ing'
21:01: I'm hearing 'then' rather than 'they' in "and they repeated the order after a few years' space"
24:04: I'm hearing 'usually' rather than 'usual' in "It was usual among the artisan crafts"

I appreciate it's a lot, but this was a challenging section, what with all the Middle/Early Modern English.
Hi Jordan! Thanks so much for your feedback. I figured there were going to be quite a bit to correct, and I appreciate the thoroughness! I've believe I've addressed all of the list, including optional. New run time is 31:27, and I've re-uploaded the file. Kudos to you for having the patience to PL this! I wouldn't have the patience will all the Middle/Early modern English. You're awesome!

Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Cbteddy wrote: January 6th, 2024, 10:27 am Hi Jordan! Thanks so much for your feedback. I figured there were going to be quite a bit to correct, and I appreciate the thoroughness! I've believe I've addressed all of the list, including optional. New run time is 31:27, and I've re-uploaded the file. Kudos to you for having the patience to PL this! I wouldn't have the patience will all the Middle/Early modern English. You're awesome!

We're nearly there, but I think you got a bit confused by the Roman numerals:

2:26: 'ij' in "hit is thought hit were good to have ij wevers & ij walkers" is II, or 2, not 6
4:12: 'ij' again in "that is to sey ij days in the weke"
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

JorWat wrote: January 6th, 2024, 11:15 am
Cbteddy wrote: January 6th, 2024, 10:27 am Hi Jordan! Thanks so much for your feedback. I figured there were going to be quite a bit to correct, and I appreciate the thoroughness! I've believe I've addressed all of the list, including optional. New run time is 31:27, and I've re-uploaded the file. Kudos to you for having the patience to PL this! I wouldn't have the patience will all the Middle/Early modern English. You're awesome!

We're nearly there, but I think you got a bit confused by the Roman numerals:

2:26: 'ij' in "hit is thought hit were good to have ij wevers & ij walkers" is II, or 2, not 6
4:12: 'ij' again in "that is to sey ij days in the weke"
Crossing my fingers that third time is a charm! Apologies about the numbers. Run time is just a smidge longer at 31:29 and file has been uploaded.

Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Cbteddy wrote: January 9th, 2024, 5:58 pmCrossing my fingers that third time is a charm! Apologies about the numbers. Run time is just a smidge longer at 31:29 and file has been uploaded.

PL OK
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

Hello, please could I read sections 17, 21 and 22?
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: January 30th, 2024, 12:55 am Hello, please could I read sections 17, 21 and 22?
They're all yours
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

jenno

Post by jenno »

Could I please claim section 18

jennifer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

jenno wrote: February 7th, 2024, 10:42 pm Could I please claim section 18

jennifer
It's all yours.
Jordan

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:41 am Here is section 17 (length 31:48)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_17_harris_128kb.mp3
PL OK
Jordan

jenno

Post by jenno »

May I ask a question regarding the introduction to these readings.
as indicated in the instructions we should say chapter and part initially eg "Chapter14 part 2"

Then when we announce the reading with the authors name the section should read ? section 18 and the title again "chapter 14 part 2" and the full title ??
I am just uncertain whether I should not begin recording with the section number from the MW.. This seems to be the usual approach.

Sorry if this seems pedantic . Trying to save the PL person from having to correct me .

Jennifer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

jenno wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:44 pm May I ask a question regarding the introduction to these readings.
as indicated in the instructions we should say chapter and part initially eg "Chapter14 part 2"

Then when we announce the reading with the authors name the section should read ? section 18 and the title again "chapter 14 part 2" and the full title ??
I am just uncertain whether I should not begin recording with the section number from the MW.. This seems to be the usual approach.

Sorry if this seems pedantic . Trying to save the PL person from having to correct me .

Jennifer
You don't need to say the section number, just the chapter number and part. Listen to some of the recorded sections to see how they did it.
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

Hello, I have uploaded section 21 (length 28:19)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_21_harris_128kb.mp3
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:05 am Hello, I have uploaded section 21 (length 28:19)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_21_harris_128kb.mp3
PL OK
Jordan

jenno

Post by jenno »

Here is section 18.

I am not at all sure I have labelled it correctly regarding chapter and part. Please correct me if necessary.
Also my reading of middle english is rudimentary and may need some direction !!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_18_harris_128kb.mp3

Duration 27.47

Jennifer