1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
carlk

Post by carlk »

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

carlk wrote: January 25th, 2024, 11:05 am https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_carlk.mp3

Garage Band
Mac
USB mic
Welcome to Librivox, Carl!

Your voice is clear and pleasant and meets some, but not all, of the Librivox technical standards. The volume is a bit too low, at 81.8 dB (acceptable range is 86 - 92 dB, with 89 - 90 dB being the ideal), and the file is in stereo, rather than the required mono.

Sadly, you won't be able to record or convert to mono using GarageBand, as it doesn't support that format. If you want to record for Librivox, you're going to have to use a different application. Audacity is one option that is free and not overly complicated (in my opinion). Plus, you'd have more support available to you from fellow Librivoxers, many of whom use Audacity.

You're free to choose that or any other application that works, of course. Please do so, and reupload a new test that meets all the Librivox technical requirements:

Export format: MP3
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Export bitrate: 128 kbps Constant
Volume: 86-92 dB
Background noise (low - somewhat subjective)
Plosives (minimal)

I'll come back and check out your new recording.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
carlk

Post by carlk »

Winnifred wrote: January 25th, 2024, 2:29 pm
carlk wrote: January 25th, 2024, 11:05 am https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_carlk.mp3

Garage Band
Mac
USB mic
Welcome to Librivox, Carl!

Your voice is clear and pleasant and meets some, but not all, of the Librivox technical standards. The volume is a bit too low, at 81.8 dB (acceptable range is 86 - 92 dB, with 89 - 90 dB being the ideal), and the file is in stereo, rather than the required mono.

Sadly, you won't be able to record or convert to mono using GarageBand, as it doesn't support that format. If you want to record for Librivox, you're going to have to use a different application. Audacity is one option that is free and not overly complicated (in my opinion). Plus, you'd have more support available to you from fellow Librivoxers, many of whom use Audacity.

You're free to choose that or any other application that works, of course. Please do so, and reupload a new test that meets all the Librivox technical requirements:

Export format: MP3
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Export bitrate: 128 kbps Constant
Volume: 86-92 dB
Background noise (low - somewhat subjective)
Plosives (minimal)

I'll come back and check out your new recording.

Thanks,
Thank you so much!

I may have found a way to convert to mono in garage band.

However, can anyone tell me where/how I view/change the dB level in garage band? When you say "Volume: 86-92 dB” I don’t know what that means! LOL! Total newbie here!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I don't know if there's any way to see that in GarageBand; I have to use a plug-in in Audacity. But there is a stand-alone tool you can use to check volume (among other things). It will also tell you whether you've successfully converted to mono.

It's called the Checker, and you can use it after you convert to mp3 and before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface. Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files.

(If you want it to also show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once. It checks the background noise in the last 5 seconds of recording (Librivox asks that all readings be submitted with 5 seconds of silence at the end.)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
carlk

Post by carlk »

Okay, here’s my revised test!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_min_test_carlk.mp3

Audacity
Mac
USB mic
carlk

Post by carlk »

Winnifred wrote: January 26th, 2024, 10:10 am I don't know if there's any way to see that in GarageBand; I have to use a plug-in in Audacity. But there is a stand-alone tool you can use to check volume (among other things). It will also tell you whether you've successfully converted to mono.

It's called the Checker, and you can use it after you convert to mp3 and before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface. Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files.

(If you want it to also show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once. It checks the background noise in the last 5 seconds of recording (Librivox asks that all readings be submitted with 5 seconds of silence at the end.)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Audacity
Mac
USB mic
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

carlk wrote: February 6th, 2024, 4:07 pm

Audacity
Mac
USB mic
Hi Carl,

And your test is good! You're ready to start recording.

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
carlk

Post by carlk »

Winnifred wrote: February 6th, 2024, 4:48 pm
carlk wrote: February 6th, 2024, 4:07 pm

Audacity
Mac
USB mic
Hi Carl,

And your test is good! You're ready to start recording.

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Thanks so much Winnifred!