COMPLETE - The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 9 is ready for PL.

By this point, one might wonder whether we had stumbled into a whole other novel. ("Whatever happened to Agathe and Joseph and Philippe??") Be assured, however, that Agathe and Joseph are, at this very moment, in a coach on their way to Issoudun, and will be re-entering the story soon. (In the meantime, notice how Max Gilet is a odd kind of mirror reflection of Philippe: an ex-Napoleonic officer with questionable ethics and a grudge against the Bourbons. A clash between these two characters is being set up.)

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

It certainly does seem like another novel! I can see how there's some kind of reflection being set up. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The Rabouilleuse is far more cunning than she first appears.

PL OK!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 10 is ready for PL.

One correction:
At 40:30, the text reads, "the supposed parentage and both Max and Agathe." It should be "the supposed parentage of both Max and Agathe."

You'll notice a little passage in which the narrator makes a pronouncement about the way "all women" are. His opinions are, ahem, a little old-fashioned. Yet it's a relief to see that Balzac is so restrained here. In some of his earlier books, he was always going on, tiresomely, about "what women are like."

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 10 is PL OK.

That correction makes sense (the original makes none).

When this chapter started, I almost wondered whether Rouget wasn't being poisoned by Max and the Rabouilleuse (because of the description of his decline in the first paragraph), but I don't think that was Balzac's intention. However, they certainly are a despicable pair (and Hochon's not much better).

I don't think Balzac really liked any of these characters (except maybe Joseph).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
beeber

Post by beeber »

Winnifred wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:11 pmI don't think Balzac really liked any of these characters (except maybe Joseph.
In this chapter, I think you'll see that he also likes Madame Hochon. He writes about her with a warmth that makes me think he has based this character on some real person of his acquaintance.

One textual correction: At 15:45, the text reads, "and as her mother filled each of them...." It should be, "as her grandmother...."

Chapter 11 is ready for PL.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

beeber wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 11:23 am In this chapter, I think you'll see that he also likes Madame Hochon. He writes about her with a warmth that makes me think he has based this character on some real person of his acquaintance.

One textual correction: At 15:45, the text reads, "and as her mother filled each of them...." It should be, "as her grandmother...."

Chapter 11 is ready for PL.
Yes, your correction makes perfect sense. And I see too Balzac's regard for Madame Hochon.

I have a PL note for you: There's a couple of missed words at 14:54: I hear “‘I am too weary of life to remain here on canvas.’” But the text reads “‘I am too weary of life to wish to remain here on canvas.’”

For someone so wordy, Balzac can occasionally say so much with just a few well-chosen words: “Mesdames…., decorated with their husbands, here entered the room.”

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Winnifred wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 5:31 pmThere's a couple of missed words at 14:54: I hear “‘I am too weary of life to remain here on canvas.’” But the text reads “‘I am too weary of life to wish to remain here on canvas.’”
Thank you! Chapter 11 has been corrected and re-uploaded.
Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

beeber wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:41 am
Winnifred wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 5:31 pmThere's a couple of missed words at 14:54: I hear “‘I am too weary of life to remain here on canvas.’” But the text reads “‘I am too weary of life to wish to remain here on canvas.’”
Thank you! Chapter 11 has been corrected and re-uploaded.
Bruce
PL Ok now!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 12 is ready for PL.

One tiny correction to the text: at 23:43, the text reads, "genius of the Mascarilles and Scapins out together...." It should be "genius of the Mascarilles and Scapins put together...."

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 12 is PL OK. Your correction makes perfect sense.

Joseph is far too honest and naive. He should just hold on to the paintings, as that may be all they get.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 13 is ready for PL.

A very eventful chapter; things take unexpected turns.

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

beeber wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:14 am Chapter 13 is ready for PL.

A very eventful chapter; things take unexpected turns.

Bruce
I'll say! I was starting to wonder how Philippe and Max were going to be brought into each other's company. I'm sure the next chapter will be equally eventful.

PL OK!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 14 is ready for PL.

Now that we're nearing the end of the book, the battle-lines have been drawn, and I guess it's fair to say that in terms of the plot the essential question has now become: when this is all finished, who will turn out to have had "the last laugh"? Will it be Joseph, Philippe, Max, or the Rabouilleuse? Or maybe even old Rouget?

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

beeber wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 12:08 pm Chapter 14 is ready for PL.

Now that we're nearing the end of the book, the battle-lines have been drawn, and I guess it's fair to say that in terms of the plot the essential question has now become: when this is all finished, who will turn out to have had "the last laugh"? Will it be Joseph, Philippe, Max, or the Rabouilleuse? Or maybe even old Rouget?

Bruce
Aha! the thot plickens! I hope it will be Joseph, but I fear it will be one of the others. I think I'd be ok with it being Rouget, though.

PL OK!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 15 is ready for PL.

There is one correction the text. At 43:32, the text reads, "That it was that a stupid point of honour...." It should be "Thus it was...."

Bruce