[COMPLETE] A History of the Papacy, Vol II by Mandell Creighton - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 36 through 39 are pl ok. In the Florentine setting I'm beginning to feel a bit more on familiar ground, at least from art history (Brunelleschi) and I once was somewhat knowledgeable about the rise of the Medici from a course on the Renaissance and Reformation many years ago.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Welcome home and thanks, Pattymarie!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 40 is pl ok. Interesting to get into the details of things I knew the broad brush strokes of. During the pandemic I taught private English lessons for which a taxi took me almost every morning for a ride along the western land walls of Constantinople and past Edirne (Adrianople) gate where Mehmet the Conqueror's forces broke through since sufficient western European help never came. I think the cannon the Turks used to make that gate the gaping wreck it remains came from a Catholic city on the Danube, can't think right now of which.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Pattymarie. Amazing!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Yes. I'm still sometimes amazed that I actually live here, so even coming back from Paris isn't a huge change in historic and artistic interest of my surroundings. I looked up the cannon and found that it was designed and built by a man named Orban (or Urban) whose nationality is disputed, probably Hungarian, who offered his service's first to the Byzantines, but they couldn't afford them, nor did they have the resources to build such a massive cannon as the Basilic Cannon that Orban eventually built for the Turks. I got the notion that the source of the cannon was Roman Catholic from an embittered Eastern Orthodox writer, but the articles I just found say nothing about Orban's religion.

I must have mixed up the history of the cannon with that of the Bulgarian Orthodox church made of metal that sits beside the Golden Horn on the way to the walls. Its parts were floated down the Danube and assembled at its location here. The cannon was built at Adrianople and dragged by 90 oxen and 400 men to the city doomed for conquest.

Much as I dislike Wikipedia, I give its link as the briefest source giving the essential facts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilic_(cannon)
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Very interesting, Pattymarie!

Thanks for the link.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Pattymarie,

Section 41 is up:

12:51

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/historyofthepapacyvolii_41_creighton_128kb.mp3

Now I understand filioque!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Pattymarie,

Section 42 is up:

16:26

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/historyofthepapacyvolii_42_creighton_128kb.mp3

My best and thanks for of this work!!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 41 and 42 are pl ok. Once again the one little thing I thought might be a mistake, turned out to be in keeping with the text. I thought "prince of Christendom" might ought to have been in the plural, meaning the several kings in Europe, but singular it is, apparently meaning the Holy Roman Emperor alone.

Ready for the catalogue. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Pattymarie!

So much careful listening!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Lorda,

We are all done here.

Thanks,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Note to cover designers.

Feel free to use Annise's cover from Volume I. Just need to make Vol. II prominent in the title...or make a new cover, your choice, of course.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

I start cataloging.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei