my first upload [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Hi!! I'm ShellyW. Here is my test link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_test.mp3
somebody let me know how it sounds please 8-)

forgot to include: I used Audacity on a Windows computer with an analog mic plugged into a USB audio interface thingy. Sorry my husband is the techie with this equipment. I'm pretty clueless about sound equipment.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: January 29th, 2024, 3:33 pm Hi!! I'm ShellyW. Here is my test link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_test.mp3
somebody let me know how it sounds please 8-)

forgot to include: I used Audacity on a Windows computer with an analog mic plugged into a USB audio interface thingy. Sorry my husband is the techie with this equipment. I'm pretty clueless about sound equipment.
Welcome to Librivox, Shelly!

You sound great. Your voice is clear and animated. All the technical settings are correct, but I do notice a high level of background noise. I'm not sure what's causing it. Does your computer have a fan that's running? I record next to a refrigerator, and that causes background noise in my recordings. If it's a computer fan, you can try moving your mic away from the computer a bit to see if that brings it down. If it's just room noise, and you don't have a quieter space to record in, you can tackle this using Noise Reduction in Audacity, as follows:

1. Go to a silent part of your recording (where there's no speech). A minimum of 0.05 seconds is needed, though a longer Noise Profile is better. Select that section.

2. With that section selected, click “Effect > Noise Reduction....”

3. Under Step 1, click “Get Noise Profile.”

4. Select the entire recording (double-click inside the track or click Ctrl-A), then check your Noise Reduction parameters under Step 2. Mine are set as follows, and I’ve never needed to change them:

Noise Reduction (dB): 12
Sensitivity: 6.00
Frequency smoothing (bands): 3
Noise: Choose "Reduce"

5. If they’re set to this already, just click OK.

That will bring your background noise down to acceptable levels (below about 45 dB).

There's a free standalone tool you can download and use to check the technical specs on your MP3 files (including volume and background noise) before you upload. It's called the Checker and it's very simple to use. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface. Members use it to check 1-minute tests as well as their own files.

To have it show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once.

The Checker reviews the last 5 seconds of silence in a recording to assess background noise (all Librivox recordings are required to have 5 seconds of silence at the end so they work properly in all media players).

Please apply Noise Reduction to your recording, and reupload the file in a reply to this message. I'll come back and listen to it.

You're almost there!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Thank you so much for the feedback, Winnifred!

I have done some background noise removal but I still have a tunnel-y sound quality. I am reading that fabric over the mic and moving it closer might help. I will keep working.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

By the way, I am having so much fun working on this stuff!!

I'm tempted to stay up past my bedtime!!
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: January 29th, 2024, 8:09 pm By the way, I am having so much fun working on this stuff!!

I'm tempted to stay up past my bedtime!!
That’s the spirit! It is fun!

I’m not sure how much fabric will help, but I suppose it’s worth a shot. I put a foam cover over my mic, but I don’t think it changed much. There’s information here about room echo and how to deal with it that you might find helpful.

Good luck!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I used a foam pillow between me and the mic, after trying several other sound absorbing techniques. Then I did a noise reduction filter. It passed the checker. Will it do?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_test3.mp3
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: January 30th, 2024, 10:36 am I used a foam pillow between me and the mic, after trying several other sound absorbing techniques. Then I did a noise reduction filter. It passed the checker. Will it do?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_test3.mp3
Yes, that will do nicely! You're ready to record. (I'll have to try that foam pillow trick and see if it works for me!)

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of shorter options there in all genres.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice? forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Yay!! Thank you so much for your help.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: January 30th, 2024, 5:00 pm Yay!! Thank you so much for your help.
You're welcome. Have fun!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: