1 Minute Test - GB Perez [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
gbperez

Post by gbperez »

Hi all! :D Here is the link to my 1 minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_gbperez.mp3

The file includes an unedited recording (aside from volume) and the same recording edited with the following effect rack:
- Adaptive Noise Reduction
- DeEsser
- Parametric Equalizer
- Mastering

I used the Passer program to fit the technical specs of the file. There may be some noise from my roommates however. Important info are:
Software: Adobe Audition
Mic: Analog (Audio Technica AT2020)

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Audition effects! Always happy to improve both on the technical side and delivery side.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Greetings gb

Your audio meets LibriVox requirements, so you are good to go.

I can hear the EQ and de-esser kick-in in the mastered sample. MHO is that the de-esser is s good addition, but the EQ sounds like the boost is at the bottom end. This is OK, but you could live without it. There is only about a 0.5db difference in noise floor, so the adaptive noise reduction isn't doing much. A noise floor of -53.57db RMS is fine for LibriVox, but wouldn't pass for a commercial recording (if that matters to you at all). You might try tweaking the settings to get the noise floor below -60db. I thought a high-pass/low-cut filter would help, but it didn't, so the noise isn't in the lower registers. Both samples sound good. So, that's my tuppence.

Happy narrating!
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
gbperez

Post by gbperez »

Hey SJ,

Thanks for the feedback! I normally record at a low gain, apply my effects rack, then increase the volume. For this one it was a bit different as I increased the volume first before applying my effects which I think results in a higher noise floor. I am just recording in my apartment with minimal treatment; in this case one of my roommates was in the shower so that would've added to the noise. When motorcycles without mufflers pass by they are very loud so I usually have to do retakes when those happen...which happens more than a dozen times per 10 minutes of recording.

I started doing youtube voiceover work half a year ago and that's how I got to upgrade my mic. I did start applying for commercials and VA works last month so thank you for the tip on the noise floor- I'm getting better results using the Noise Reduction (Process) setting rather than the adaptive noise reduction. Thank you for the help!