Electrical vocabulary - speaker connections [SOLVED]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I have a CD player, amplifier and speakers in one room, but would like to be able to work in the adjacent kitchen and listen to the music there, instead of in the main room.

I need some way of switching the output from the amp (with plus and minus connections for each of the right and left speakers) between the speakers in the main room and the wired speakers in the kitchen (not wireless bluetooth, as a) bluetooth speakers are expensive and b) I already have some spare speakers).

I don't have the formal vocabulary to describe or search for the switching device that I need. Could anyone help me to name it, please?

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on January 24th, 2024, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

How about "speaker selector" or "speaker switch"? A device that gets its input from the amp and sends output to one of several pairs of speakers depending on the switch setting.
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you very much, Tom. I hadn't expected it to be something that a lot of people would need! I've just ordered one on ebay.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger