COMPLETE: Tales of 1928: A Selection of Folktales, Fables, and Legends from Books Published in 1928-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Thank you.

I will definitely check out the author!

Gila
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

laurakgibbs wrote: January 21st, 2024, 4:47 pm
...okay, apparently I do have the power to add you to the system, yay! So here is the information I will need:
reader's forum username: I have this
catalog (display) name: let me know how you want your name displayed
a website: let me know if you have a website you want to be linked to

Please display my name as: J GO
I have no website to link.

Thank you!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 12:55 am Please display my name as: J GO
I have no website to link.
Thank you!
It worked, J GO! You now show up in the Magic Window, and now I have learned something new :-)

If you have any questions as you do the recording, just let me know, and I hope you will enjoy the reading!
nbvoices

Post by nbvoices »

Hello, I would like to do #18, The Golden Hornet.

Question, do we read the text on the book cover page ? ( Indian Myths by William Elsey Connelley, Secretary of the Kanas State.... of the Wyandot Tribe" ), or just start with the title of the piece? "the Golden Hornet" ? thanks. Nancy

Post by laurakgibbs »

nbvoices wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 9:40 am Hello, I would like to do #18, The Golden Hornet.

Question, do we read the text on the book cover page ? ( Indian Myths by William Elsey Connelley, Secretary of the Kanas State.... of the Wyandot Tribe" ), or just start with the title of the piece? "the Golden Hornet" ? thanks. Nancy
Thank you, Nancy! You are in the magic window for that section now.

And that is a good question! No need to read the book cover page... what you will start with is the usual intro, then the section title as given in the magic window, and then the story begins, so that would be:

Section 18 of TALES OF 1928. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org.
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
a Native American (Wyandot) story: "The Golden Hornet" by William E. Connelley
It was night........

And I hope you will enjoy the story! There are so many Native American stories like this Wyandot story that we might call "fairy tales" even though there are no fairies like you would find in a European fairy tale... I was excited to have a story like this to include in the collection. :)
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello

Section 17: How the Red Fox Made Fun of Stubby Whitetail is ready for PL review.

8:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_17_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you.

I liked this story and the read about the author.

Gila
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 4:50 pm Hello

Section 17: How the Red Fox Made Fun of Stubby Whitetail is ready for PL review.

8:05

Thank you.

I liked this story and the read about the author.

Gila
Wow, Gila, what a fantastic reading: I loved the way you did voices for the fox and for the rabbit; that really made the story come alive... and we could hear how angry the fox was, so that prepared us exactly for the moral of the story at the end. Absolutely wonderful! I am going to take it as a good sign that the first recording for the book is such a pleasure to listen to! :clap:

I noticed just one thing to add in there at the very start, the name of the author:

00:24 by Arthur C. Parker (the author's name is part of the section title, so if you could just insert those words, that would be perfect; you can see the section titles there in the magic window, with the authors' names... I thought it would be nice to honor the author, especially someone like Parker!)
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Thanks!

And yes, absolutely, sorry I forgot to put him in the beginning of the story title. I will take care of this and get this back to you.

I appreciate the feedback and that you enjoyed how I read the story.

Gila
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_04_various_128kb.mp3 (22:32).

When I ran the file through through the checker, it passed but with the warning that it fell out of the target decibel range. The information window showed that it was at 93.
I submitted it as is, but if you'd like me to reduce the gain and export the file again, let me know. I wasn't sure what the best next step might be.

Again, I'm a first-timer. So thanks, in advance, for any support & feedback.
Also, thanks for hosting a very cool project. I love the concept of an annual collection of works from those which most recently enter the public domain. A fun celebration!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:19 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_04_various_128kb.mp3 (22:32).

When I ran the file through through the checker, it passed but with the warning that it fell out of the target decibel range. The information window showed that it was at 93.
I submitted it as is, but if you'd like me to reduce the gain and export the file again, let me know. I wasn't sure what the best next step might be.

Again, I'm a first-timer. So thanks, in advance, for any support & feedback.
Also, thanks for hosting a very cool project. I love the concept of an annual collection of works from those which most recently enter the public domain. A fun celebration!
I have that happen sometimes when I record also! I'm religious about the Checker (I often have background noise at my place, which is a worse problem)... but don't worry about rendering a new file yet; I'll listen to this later this morning and that way if there are any other tweaks needed, you can do them when you normalize the volume. I'll go mark this as ready for PL in the window, and then I'll ping you after I have a chance to listen later this morning.

And I am so glad you like this project! It is my first "annual" (I just started recording at LibriVox this past year; before that, I just prooflistened) -- but I want to do it every year now, and also to work backwards in time (Tales of 1927, Tales of 1926, etc.). I taught online mythology and folklore courses for many years using public domain materials, and it is so much fun to take all the stuff I collected and make it into something useful here at LibriVox. :-)
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

I'd like to record Sections 2 and 10 please.
Kirk
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

kirk202 wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 9:07 am I'd like to record Sections 2 and 10 please.
Yay, Kirk: they are yours! It will be so nice to have your voice as part of this project! And that first one, the story of the Emperor Jovinianus, is probably my favorite medieval folktale: I hope you will like it :-)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:19 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_04_various_128kb.mp3 (22:32).

Wow, that sounded soooo good!!! Reading with the old-fashioned "thou/thee" style can be hard, but you did a super job with that and made it very easy to follow and understand. There are so many cool little folktales combined into the overall story of Ashmedai and Solomon, and I am really excited that people will get to hear a King Solomon legend. (He is one of my favorite folklore characters.)

I noticed just one slip-of-the-tongue:
15:36 not allowed to use iron tools (I heard: towels)

I also got the same warning from the Checker that you got about the volume being out of the target range.

So, if you can do that one little edit and then normalize the volume (it will just take a little adjustment I would guess), you can upload the file again and I'll spot-check it.

It makes me feel really happy to know that you did your first recording for this project: thank you so much for lending your voice to this anthology! :D

Oh, and if you are interested in these kinds of legends about Biblical characters, the one about Ibrahim (Abraham) and Nimrod is really cool also if you want to read that one (it's section 5).

And there is a fabulous slightly older collection of Jewish legends already at LibriVox if you are looking for something to listen to:
Legends of the Jews by Louis Ginzberg: LibriVox has all four volumes of stories!
https://librivox.org/legends-of-the-jews-volume-1-by-louis-ginzberg/
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello

Here is How Red Fox Made Fun of Stubby Whitetail with the author's name included now.

Thank you again

Please review.

Gila