My recordings sound like im in a cave

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Jillk101

Post by Jillk101 »

Ive watched many videos and played with all the buttons but nothing helps. I sound very hollow and echo ish
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

(1) It might be the room. Are there a lot of hard surfaces around you? The sound bounces off the walls and into the microphone. Try stacking pillows or towels beside you and in front of any near, hard surfaces, or hanging a blanket or towels around your recording area.

(2) It might be the microphone. If it's a cheap one, anyway. But more than likely it's #1. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

As Tricia points out, this is most likely due to the space where you are recording. Hard surfaces, high ceilings and big rooms will give this result.
Jo
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I listened to your test. It is indeed room reverb. You need a deader recording space.

You can find advice on improving issues like room echo in the Librivox wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Improve_Your_Recording
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
zachh

Post by zachh »

I record in the workshop where I build musical instruments for a living, so it is a large room with hard surfaces. I have found that hanging an old bed sheet from a ceiling joist like it was a theater curtain seems to kill the echo. I sit about 2 or 3 feet from the sheet, facing it, so the sheet is behind my microphone. This method might be worth a try, and it's easy and quick as long as you have something to hang the sheet from.
loon

Post by loon »

You could try NPR's pillow fort idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgbtBBumjo&t=59s

They made this video for student podcasters but the same technique could help in your recording space.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

loon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 4:25 am You could try NPR's pillow fort idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgbtBBumjo&t=59s

They made this video for student podcasters but the same technique could help in your recording space.
OMG this is the best.

When I'm at home, I have a shoebox I broke open and lined with foam packaging, like what laptops used to come cushioned in, you know, that gray pointy stuff? and my blue ice snowball fits nicely inside it, but when I travel it's not worth bringing it. I've tried using pillows at hotels, but have always failed at pillow fort architecture. This'll be my go-to how-to next time!
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Early on I made a recording box I could use in my home office. I got some 20x26 foam core boards, attached some acoustic foam with spray adhesive, and put self-stick Velcro along the edges. I could assemble a home-made recording box in a few seconds, which I could easily disassemble and store. It actually worked pretty well and was quite cheap and easy to build.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page