[COMPLETE] What's Wrong With the World - Chesterton - cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LibertusMaximus

Post by LibertusMaximus »

What's Wrong With the World by G. K. Chesterton.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/whats-wrong-with-the-world-by-gk-chesterton/

Source text: From Project Gutenberg

Target date for completion: 29 May 2009 (Chesterton's 135th birthday)

MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 29th May 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for three months, your section(s) may automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: Read from TEXT link in Magic Window above
    Original Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext99/wwwtw10.txt
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Essay title]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "What's Wrong With the World by GK Chesterton. Part ##, Chapter ##, [essay title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [essay title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of What's Wrong With the World"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    whatswrong_##_chesterton.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. whatswrong_01_chesterton.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Essay title]
    Artist: GK Chesterton
    Album: What's Wrong With the World

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: cm - Carl Manchester
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I shall MC.

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

And by the way, welcome to LibriVox etc.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
LibertusMaximus

The upload directory for my chapters will be at http://www.rabidquill.com/LibriVox/
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi LM,

Noticed that you've now uploaded a couple of chapters, so I've updated the Magic Window above.

Just a small thing, though, regarding the filenames. We have a standard way of doing them which is bookname_sectionnumber_author.mp3.

So, for example, whatswrong_00_chesterton.mp3

Not a problem, since I will be able to correct these during the publication process, but it would be good if you could switch to the standard format from now on so I don't have to do the correction 50 times.

Additional information about section titles etc should be entered using ID3. There's a handy guide here:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3

Hope that's all okay.

Cheers,
Carl.
LibertusMaximus

Thank you for letting me know. I looked around the website trying to find the naming scheme and couldn't find anything, even though I knew I'd seen it before.

I'll rename the files ASAP.

-

Also, I don't think I've found the right spot in Audacity where I set the ID3 tags. This will also get fixed.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Cheers, that's great.

For ID3, its important to have consistency, or the files may not sort properly in people's mp3 players.

I'd suggest something like

Artist: GK Chesterton
Album: What's Wrong With the World
Track: 00 - Dedication

It's important in particular to keep the track names consistent, since most players will use this information to sort the tracks numerically.

Many thanks,
Carl.
Last edited by CarlManchester on November 5th, 2007, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm not an Audacity user, LM, but I have picked up along the way that the new version of Audacity doesn't ask about filling ID3 tags as standard. Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Batch and make sure that "Show MP3/ID3 dialog" is ticked -- then any time you export to MP3, it ought to pop up a ID3 box to be filled in. Alternatively, you can access the tags by "Edit Metadata" from the "File" menu, which you need to do before MP3ing.

If neither of these help, there are many other ways of doing it ... and if I've completely got the wrong end of the stick, just ignore me. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Pam

Post by Pam »

I listened to the dedication and the first chapter. Here are the results, the dedication was fine. But the first chapter had a couple of mistakes that you noted during the recording at 5:41 and 7:05. So someone will have to do a little editing on the first chapter. Even with the two little mistakes this was a good reading on both parts.

Pam

:clap:
LibertusMaximus

Whoa, hey, hello world.

I'm still here.

More chapters will be forthcoming, really!

I'll review those mistakes and see what I can fix.
LibertusMaximus

Sheesh, how time flies. Don't feel neglected, little audiobook. Need to get my mic working again (either by upgrading hardware or downgrading software... my Blue Snowball won't do Vista) and I'll put this back on one of the burners, even if a back one.
LibertusMaximus

I went back to XP (it was all for the best) and regained functionality of my microphone. I know this thing looks all but abandoned but I *am* still here.
LibertusMaximus

I tried to get the ID3 tags and filename right the first time on this one.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/whatswrong_02_chesterton.mp3
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi LM, good to hear from you again.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi all,

I'm not actually making a group project for this yet, but LibertusMaximus has said he's happy if anyone else wants to contribute, so please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Carl.