Introducing absolute beginner - Gary Martin

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
GaryMCunningham

Post by GaryMCunningham »

Hi there LibriVox community!

Gary Martin here, writing from the thawing Chicagoland of Illinois, USA. I'm a voracious reader and erstwhile VO recorder and was pointed towards this site by Voice Over Angela. Looking forward to contributing and receiving feedback as I embark upon this journey.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

GaryMCunningham wrote: January 18th, 2024, 9:41 am Hi there LibriVox community!

Gary Martin here, writing from the thawing Chicagoland of Illinois, USA. I'm a voracious reader and erstwhile VO recorder and was pointed towards this site by Voice Over Angela. Looking forward to contributing and receiving feedback as I embark upon this journey.
Welcome Gary!
Nothing wrong at all with being an absolute beginner! We all started there! In that regard a few things to bear in mind:

1. Are you using your microphone on a boom arm? Doing this avoids any shocks of hitting the table from getting picked up. It also puts the microphone away from your computer. [if you don't know what a boom arm is, please ask.]
2. Are you recording in a quiet environment? Everyone when starting off their life of recording, learns to appreciate that a microphone picks up every sound: the fridge, the heater, TV in the next room etc. We at least should make our recording space as quiet as it can be.
3. Are you a good distance from the microphone? In general you should be one fist's distance away from the microphone.

Some people describe a microphone as an instrument like a guitar or a piano. There is "technique" to using a microphone and that is a big topic. The above are the basics.
My puns were so bad they ended my career as a pundit.
GaryMCunningham

Post by GaryMCunningham »

Check Check and Check.
Thanks for the welcome and basic info.