Mic volume problem

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

The mic I have is a Junivo USB microphone model JV-601 and I am using Windows. I'm trying to record my 1 minute test but I am having issues with getting the volume high enough to the correct specifications. I followed all the instructions I received about how to fix this problem on the Audacity side but I can't figure out how to increase the input gain on my mic. Under the sound settings on my computer and under device properties the mic's volume is set as high as it can go and I don't see any other things that allow me to adjust this. The included instructions also don't mention how to do this. Am I missing something or is there just a limitation with the specific mic I ordered?

This is the link to the page on Amazon that I ordered from if that helps at all: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2WRHMY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

-Sandy
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

I think there is a good chance I probably just didn’t get a good enough mic. Do people have any good recommendations for mics?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I’m happy with my Blue Yeti. It’s pricier but it provides me with more control than you’ll get with that one.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've haven't been following your posts but are you sure that Audacity is using your microphone not an internal computer one? It has happened :D and it is such an easy cheap fix its worth checking

Anne
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

If annise’s suggestion doesn’t yield a solution and you want to know what other mics sound like, here’s an interesting project from a few years back: a mic showdown, recorded by a whole bunch of readers using different mics: https://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-3-by-various/

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just to say, that it's not unusual for people to have to amplify their recordings each time. If your microphone input volume is all maxed up, both in audacity and in your computer settings, and Audacity is using the correct microphone, then Amplification is your best option, which is fine :thumbs:
It's advisable to check volume and adjust each time anyway, so it's not extra work you wouldn't need to do with a different microphone. As long as amplification (and probably noise reduction) give a satisfactory result, you have all you need with this microphone!