Recording a book already in progress

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Hi! I'm completely new to LibriVox and I have an idea for a book to read that I am excited about doing. I did just notice however that between the time I decided to sign up (a couple months ago) and now (which is when I actually got around to signing up) another person started the process of recording the book I was hoping to do (Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner). I know there are multiple recordings for lots of titles in the LibriVox catalogue and that it is probably perfectly fine if I go ahead and record my own version even if there is another one already in progress but I guess I was just looking for some sort of reassurance that this is totally fine since I am new and still don't quite know all the ropes just yet. Thanks in advance!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Lukessa wrote: January 16th, 2024, 2:12 pm Hi! I'm completely new to LibriVox and I have an idea for a book to read that I am excited about doing. I did just notice however that between the time I decided to sign up (a couple months ago) and now (which is when I actually got around to signing up) another person started the process of recording the book I was hoping to do (Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner). I know there are multiple recordings for lots of titles in the LibriVox catalogue and that it is probably perfectly fine if I go ahead and record my own version even if there is another one already in progress but I guess I was just looking for some sort of reassurance that this is totally fine since I am new and still don't quite know all the ropes just yet. Thanks in advance!
Hi Lukessa,

I just listened to your 1-minute test, and made a suggestion for one small improvement that needs to be made before you can begin recording. See my response here.

You're right that you can record a book that's already in progress or completed, but I would suggest that there's one other hurdle to your starting with a solo project, which is that you're not yet familiar with Librivox process.

I strongly recommend that you begin by taking on a few shorter recordings first (some poetry or a chapter of a book), and get to know how everything works here before starting a solo. As a soloist, you're also expected to be the book coordinator, add your files to the Magic Window, record the length of each file, work with a proof listener and meta coordinator, etc. All of this will become clearer once you've done a few shorter recordings for group projects.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

There are actually 2 projects in progress for this book. You may certainly start a project of your own as well. However, before you set up a solo, we strongly suggest reading a couple of chapters in group projects. Reading a book solo is a big undertaking especially if you have not recorded previously, and this will help you judge the amount of time required for recording and editing. Once you are ready, here is link with all the info for setting up a solo project

viewtopic.php?t=13513

Cross posted with Winnifred...
Jo
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Great minds and all that, right? :lol:
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There was another reader who had also planned to record it but thought 3 at the same time was a bit excessive so pulled out :D :D Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

However, no-one has started recording it yet. So you might be the one to launch last and finish first :lol:
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

I have the time so its very possible! I'm going to at least try one if not a couple chapters first, but as soon as I am done I'll hop right on it.