Policy on AI cover art and Pixabay

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

First, I agree with your policy. As a semi-professional narrator I am firmly against all AI replacement of humans. But this happened to me today. I was searching Pixabay, which I believe is an approved source for public domain art for cover art. I found an image I thought would work, but when I pulled up the description, it was generated by AI. Seems like this is going to be a problem if individual images from a previously acceptable source are no longer acceptable. And I don’t know if all the AI images on Pixabay are properly identified as such. I don’t have a solution, but I thought I’d bring it to your attention. Maybe Pixabay can’t be used for LV art anymore.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I wondered about this so I went and had a look at the Pixabay terms of service (there's a link from the home page: "Read more about the Content Licence" to https://pixabay.com/service/terms/. About half way through the page, I found this section:
"6B.Uploading Content created with generative AI technology.

You may upload Content you have created with generative AI technology (i.e. machine learning tools that generate content from text prompts or other inputs) to the Services. If you do, the following specific conditions apply, in addition to section 6.

a) You are responsible for ensuring that the terms of the generative AI technology you have used permit you to grant the license under section 6(a) and give the warranties outlined in section 6(b).

b) You must clearly label any Content which is AI-generated by selecting the "AI-generated" checkbox on the upload page.

c) You must not tag any Content which is AI-generated with the names of any real people, artists, trademarks or brands.

d) You must not upload any Content which is AI-generated that mimics the style of another artist or attempts to reproduce copyright or trademark protected material, or the image of a real person."
I read this to mean that all AI-generated art must be labelled as such, and if it isn't, it can be reported and removed. Of course, that still leaves the issue of what happens if the uploader doesn't bother ticking the box, but they've at least made an effort.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

At the moment - the legal state of AI images has not been determined as AI works by being set up with non PD information .
So it depends on the court's decision which will not be an instant answer.
But we are interested in human voices not machine-generated ones. And they deserve to have human covermakers.
And we certainly do not want our projects taken down because someone challenges an image.

Anne
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

It's like the movie Mad Max where there was pre-nuke and post-nuke food. We have pre-AI art like the art books on my shelf. Then we have post-AI art that is "tainted". :hmm:
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Sometimes Ai steals from real life. A fellow was browsing a site like the following:
https://www.unrealperson.com
and discovered an image of his own face.

I suspect a lot of AI images are actually doctored versions of pictures of "real life."
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Winnifred »

Algy Pug wrote: January 7th, 2024, 8:09 pm Sometimes Ai steals from real life. A fellow was browsing a site like the following:
https://www.unrealperson.com
and discovered an image of his own face.

I suspect a lot of AI images are actually doctored versions of pictures of "real life."
That site is weird. I hit "Generate" a few dozen times, and I noticed that the people's faces are almost all white, with just a few Asian faces. They all seem to have near-perfect teeth (many with exactly the same teeth!), and a few of them have this bizarre distortion of their image sitting on their shoulders. A bit spooky.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)