This is not easy

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Jillk101

Post by Jillk101 »

I thought recording would be fun. I cant figure out audacity, cant upload my 1 min. Test. Im about to abandon this idea completely.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Perhaps try this YouTube video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uexv2tfrB-8
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ArtistWarrior

Post by ArtistWarrior »

I feel your pain and I felt the same way. I almost quit again today.

Stick with it, because once you figure the crap out, it's OK. And know that some of the instructions don't match what you'll see on screen.

I first joined last August, and it's taken me this long to finally get my test recording done. And it took me quite awhile today to figure out audacity, checker, and all the inputs and outputs and.... Lordy.

If you can, do stick with it. You'll be proud of yourself, and you'll open up doors that wouldn't be open otherwise.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

One thing that helped me: I printed out the newbie guide pages, I printed the 1-minute test message pages, and kept them in front of me. That way, when I followed links, I still had the detailed instructions in front of me. This technique finally worked.
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

Jillk101 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 12:46 pm I thought recording would be fun. I cant figure out audacity, cant upload my 1 min. Test. Im about to abandon this idea completely.
Me to,,, it doesnt make any sense!
~All the best,
Joy~

I'm not just joyful, I'm jolly!<3
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

j0lly wrote: January 5th, 2024, 3:48 pm
Jillk101 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 12:46 pm I thought recording would be fun. I cant figure out audacity, cant upload my 1 min. Test. Im about to abandon this idea completely.
I am interested in what doesn't make sense. What seems to be disconnected or illogical. Seriously, I want any insight into the frustrations you see or feel because it may be possible to make some of them more less jarring. I love making videos that do this and even if only one tiny thing can be made simpler or easier, that is progress. But we that have been doing this for years don't see with your new eyes and need to be told that "this instruction doesn't make sense" or "what is the jargon here mean?" So...share with me please.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

philchenevert wrote: January 5th, 2024, 10:30 pm
j0lly wrote: January 5th, 2024, 3:48 pm
I am interested in what doesn't make sense. What seems to be disconnected or illogical. Seriously, I want any insight into the frustrations you see or feel because it may be possible to make some of them more less jarring. I love making videos that do this and even if only one tiny thing can be made simpler or easier, that is progress. But we that have been doing this for years don't see with your new eyes and need to be told that "this instruction doesn't make sense" or "what is the jargon here mean?" So...share with me please.
Gosh! Im so sorry...but it does say it is simple and EASY to record for librivox and I have been finding audacity and librivox very trying.
Im doing my best though! Fair play to you for getting the hang of librivox. I have the newest version of audacity, and every youtube video for audacity to librivox has been about the older version. Same with the newbie guide for recording, my dad can't make sense of either either! :(
I tried to upload an older version but it always came up as the newer version. Exporting hasn't worked and recording is very complicated.... thanks for trying to help :)
~All the best,
Joy~

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Dear Jolly you said
Gosh! Im so sorry...but it does say it is simple and EASY to record for librivox and I have been finding audacity and librivox very trying. Im doing my best though! Fair play to you for getting the hang of librivox. I have the newest version of audacity, and every youtube video for audacity to librivox has been about the older version. Same with the newbie guide for recording, my dad can't make sense of either either! :(
I tried to upload an older version but it always came up as the newer version. Exporting hasn't worked and recording is very complicated.... thanks for trying to help :)
Stay jolly! I know you are doing your best. With the hint you have given me I see the latest version of Audacity is 3.4.2 (November 2023). This is a sample of how I approach things "Audacity for the Completely Bewildered" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QpD1vAJkY that I did about two years ago. It's the type of thing I wish I had had when starting. I will download the latest version and try to do the same for this version. Is there any particular way you would like to approach it?

Also, why not do a Zoom session with me and you can talk directly about what is causing the most problems? It is easy, just pick a time. I'm in central time zone. I am serious

Here is a video called "Replacing wrong words with right words" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5hYq78ohs&t=16s. I have lots off 'em.!! Be patient, t his will work out.
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

philchenevert wrote: January 6th, 2024, 8:48 pm Dear Jolly you said
Gosh! Im so sorry...but it does say it is simple and EASY to record for librivox and I have been finding audacity and librivox very trying. Im doing my best though! Fair play to you for getting the hang of librivox. I have the newest version of audacity, and every youtube video for audacity to librivox has been about the older version. Same with the newbie guide for recording, my dad can't make sense of either either! :(
Stay jolly! I know you are doing your best. With the hint you have given me I see the latest version of Audacity is 3.4.2 (November 2023). This is a sample of how I approach things "Audacity for the Completely Bewildered" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QpD1vAJkY that I did about two years ago. It's the type of thing I wish I had had when starting. I will download the latest version and try to do the same for this version. Is there any particular way you would like to approach it?

Also, why not do a Zoom session with me and you can talk directly about what is causing the most problems? It is easy, just pick a time. I'm in central time zone. I am serious

Here is a video called "Replacing wrong words with right words" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5hYq78ohs&t=16s. I have lots off 'em.!! Be patient, t his will work out.
Hi, thanks im starting to figure it out! Your videos are very helpful, so I think I'll be ok :D
~All the best,
Joy~

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Great that you are starting to figure it out. One thing falls into place, then another and the horrible frustration gradually goes away. Keep it up and ask if you want a zoom session.

This is a link to all help videos from many people for librivox: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos there may be something there that can help when you are stuck.
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

philchenevert wrote: January 7th, 2024, 9:33 am :clap: :clap: :clap: Great that you are starting to figure it out. One thing falls into place, then another and the horrible frustration gradually goes away. Keep it up and ask if you want a zoom session.

This is a link to all help videos from many people for librivox: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos there may be something there that can help when you are stuck.
Thanks! My latest one minute test passed, I think im ready to go!
~All the best,
Joy~

Dottedrhythm

Post by Dottedrhythm »

Hi
You've said it all! It's taken me months to pluck up the courage to volunteer but thought I would be able to get going quickly. The instructions are great, but there's so many of them! Never mind, I think I've sorted the basics now and I'm hopefully ready to go. It doesn't help that I've just moved into a new barn converstion that has mostly tiled flooring - bad news for echo! I'll look out for your readings...
Dottedrhythm
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

Dottedrhythm wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:25 pm Hi
You've said it all! It's taken me months to pluck up the courage to volunteer but thought I would be able to get going quickly. The instructions are great, but there's so many of them! Never mind, I think I've sorted the basics now and I'm hopefully ready to go. It doesn't help that I've just moved into a new barn converstion that has mostly tiled flooring - bad news for echo! I'll look out for your readings...
You've said it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~All the best,
Joy~

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's not that hard - we have members who hadn't used computers. And we do try very hard to encourage new members to follow the path set out in the welcome email. There are things to learn - and we all know that - as well as knowing that everyone comes with different skills
1 - how to record
2 - how to upload a file
3 - how to post a link
So submitting the 1 minute technical test successfully ticks all these boxes
4 - claim a short reading ( We run the weekly and fortnightly projects especially to provide this - it's short and is PLed and catalogued quickly)
5 - check the first post in the project thread for file names
6 - check the first post for the intro and outro
7 - check the first post for the folder for that project
8 - check that the PLer (proof listener) has OKed your contribution
9 - if not fix and resubmit and repeat 8
You can ask for help always if you don't understand something.
So now you can look around the "readers wanted" forums and pick any open sections and claim them in that thread.
And you should have an idea of how long things take and how much time it takes - and you are no longer a Newbie.
There will still be things to learn - and I wouldn't suggest recording War and Peace just yet :D
Welcome to LibriVox.

Anne