One Book a Week Club 2023

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Update/Actualizacion

El Clavo
, de Pedro Antonio de Alarcon. En esta historia del siglo XIX un estricto juez se ve implicado en un caso judicial, muy a su pesar. Una historia con marcado proposito moral, en blanco y negro. A la figura recta y sin tacha del juez se opone - oh, sorpresa - .... pero eso seria un spoiler...
:lol: Ahora en serio, encuentro muy decidor lo que leian nuestros tatarabuelos. (Revision de audio en Librivox)

Aventuras de Pinocchio, de Carlo Collodi, traduccion de Antonio Restrepo, 1913. Aunque se le nota el paso del tiempo, esta historia tiene un encanto ingenuo que no cansa. (Revision de audio en Librivox, solo de Victor Villarraza)

Poesias de Jose Batres Montufar (Guatemala). Este poeta fallecio muy joven pero nos dejo excelente muestra de su talento. Destaca su poesia satirica. (Revision de audio en Librivox, solo de Mario Pineda) Muy recomendable!

Now We Are Six, by A.A. Milne. This opportunity to proof listen was a most enjoyable re-encounter with Christopher Robin. Beautiful poems for the little ones. Well, not only for them. :D (Librivox solo by Winnifred)

To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf. I had wanted to read this book again since forever and was delighted to find two versions in the Librivox catalog (If I understood correctly, they correspond to the British and US editions, differing slightly). I first got acquainted with Virginia Wolf in a Literature course during my first year at university soooo long ago. Her version of the stream of consciousness was an eye opener for me at the time. I absolutely loved listening to this solo by Cori Samuel. (It has just struck me as I write this that it makes total sense to listen to a stream of consciousness book instead of just reading it.)

Trust the Plan, by W. Sommer. In our hyper-interconnected world ideas and beliefs travel and evolve at dazzling speed.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I just updated my list for the first time in a few weeks, and I realized that I've actually finished a lot in that time! It looks like I'll be closing out the first half of the year with 39 books read. I'm making progress on my reading challenge categories. I just checked off my Dickens and Austen slots, and I'm starting in on my Sir Walter Scott pick. I started off the year with a bunch of Gothic novels, and I slowed down on those so that I could concentrate on challenge books. I hope to get back to my Gothic journey soon. But I'm also embarking on a Shakespeare journey. It's been a great reading year so far, and I hope it will continue!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It's been a while since I posted, so this is a combination of June, July and August. Well, just one book for August, but It'll go on this list.

June 2023: "There's Laughter in the Air: Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows" by Stanley, Jack Gaver & Dave. Read by LibriVox Volunteers: Not actually comedy radio shows, but a very interesting history of how these programs came about. Very nice reading by LibriVox folks.

July 2023: "A Legend of the Rhine" by William Makepeace Thackeray. Nice short novel, part of a Kindle purchase of Thackeray's works. One of my favorite 19th century writers.

July 2023: "At the Villa Rose" by A.E.W. Mason. LibriVox reading (didn't get the reader's name) Enjoyable, entertaining mystery. Like one of those 1930s B movies.

July 2023: "Kingfishers Catch Fire" by Rumer Godden. A book that I've had for years, and that I first read a long time ago. One of this year's library challenge of reading a book from each decade. (The 1950s in this case) Ms. Godden was an excellent writer and I enjoyed reading this book again.

July 2023: "Kidnapped in London by Sun Yat-Sen". I was the Proof Listener for this LibriVox recording. A very interesting true account very well read by Matthew McNaughton.

August 2023 "Welcome to Hard Times" by E. L. Doctorow. A book written in the 1960's for the library's challenge. It was Mr. Doctorow's first book, and one that I also read years ago. Definitely not an upbeat story, but a very good, well written book by an excellent writer.

More books to be listed soon. Hopefully, by the end of this month.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 3:06 pm July 2023: "A Legend of the Rhine" by William Makepeace Thackeray. Nice short novel, part of a Kindle purchase of Thackeray's works. One of my favorite 19th century writers.
That sounds like it should be in Book Suggestions!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
aj2005

Post by aj2005 »

Since I registered an account a few days ago, this isn't a complete list; I plan on reading a few more books before the year is over.

Call Me by Your Name (2007; Andre Asiman)

The Silence of the Lambs (1988; Thomas Harris)

Silence (1966; Shusaku Endo) (Originally published as 沈黙)

The Age of Innocence (1920; Edith Wharton)

In Cold Blood (1966; Truman Capote)

Dracula (1897; Bram Stoker)

The Invisible Man (1897; H. G. Wells)

Little Women (1868; Louisa May Alcott)

The Godfather (1969; Mario Puzo)

A Room with a View (1908; E. M. Forster)

Howards End (1910; E. M. Forster)

Ethan Frome (1911; Edith Wharton)

Heart of Darkness (1899; Joseph Conrad)

Death in Venice (1912; Thomas Mann) (Originally published as Der Tod in Venedig)

The Awakening (1899; Kate Chopin)

An American Tragedy (1925; Theodore Dreiser)

The Fault in Our Stars (2012; John Green)

The Call of the Wild (1903; Jack London)

To Build a Fire (1908; Jack London)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2005; Stieg Larsson) (Originally published as Män som hatar kvinnor)
aj2005

Post by aj2005 »

Finished reading Wuthering Heights today.
CuriousEntling

Post by CuriousEntling »

Oh this is so fun! Look at all the reading we're all getting to do!!
I've had a good year of book reading/listening mostly while doing housework. :clap:

Librivox
  • Silver Chimes in Syria by William Nelson 3 hrs
  • A Glimpse of India by Clara Swain 9.5 hrs
  • Travels in West Africa by Mary Kingsley 20 hrs
  • The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain 19.5 hrs
  • A Woman's Journey Around the World by Ida Laura Pfeiffer 19.5 hrs
  • Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum 8 hrs
  • A Retrospect by Hudson Taylor 3 hrs
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskel 18 hrs
  • Herland by Charlotte D Gilman 5 hrs
  • Among the Tibetans by Isabella Bird 3 hrs
  • Roughing It by Mark Twain 17 hrs
  • The Art of War by Sun Tzu 1 hr
  • The Enchanted Castle by E Nesbit 7 hrs
  • Children's Short Works 1-3 5.5 hrs
  • Five Children and It by E Nesbit 5.5 hrs
  • Revolt in the Desert by T E Lawrence 14 hrs
  • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol 1 by Edward Gibbon 20 hrs
Other Audio
  • The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer 60 hrs
  • Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 11 hrs
  • All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot 15 hrs
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot 13.5 hrs
  • Every Living Thing by James Herriot 9.5 hrs
Actual books
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
  • The Conquest of the Sahara by Douglas Porch
Unfinished
  • Noble Savages - book
  • QiGong for Treating Common Ailments - book
  • Simple Chinese Medicine by A Kuhn - book
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful by J Herriot - other
  • The Lightning Thief by R Riordan - other
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers - DPL
  • Satan - DPL
  • Up Next
  • Incidents of Travel in Central America by J L Stephens - lib
  • History of Egypt etc Vol 1 by G Maspero - lib
  • History of the Decline etc Rome vol 2 by E Gibbons - lib
  • The Swiss Family Robinson by J D Wyss - lib
  • Land of the Burnt Thigh by E E Kohl - lib
  • The Celestial Garden by J H Stevens - book
  • Pacific Northwest Edible Plant Foraging by W Walsh - book
Last edited by CuriousEntling on December 31st, 2023, 11:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
-- Nicole
Sailing in a general... that way direction.

2023, 2024: Current Reads: Star Trek Voyager Ghost of a Chance, Welcoming Food, QiGong for Treating Common Ailments
aj2005

Post by aj2005 »

Currently reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Floubert and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

I have a difficult time sticking to a consistent reading schedule, so setting a number-of-books goal would probably just end in frustration. My current goal is to finish reading The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes before the year ends. I bought this hardback 636-page tome at a garage sale over 20 years ago, started to read it, set it aside for years, and finally picked it back up and started from the beginning earlier this year (or was it last year? I can't recall). I'm on page 560 currently, and it's been slow going—only a few pages a week—but slow going is better than no going.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
aj2005

Post by aj2005 »

Started reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway yesterday.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Once again this is a combination of more than one month's worth of books. I don't know if I'll reach my goal of 50 books for this year, but it doesn't matter. Kindle lets me know how many hours I've read, but that's only when I use my Kindle e-reader. They don't know how many pages of real books I read... :lol: Or do they? :hmm: Anyway, books read in September and October:

September 2023:

"Night Fears and Other Stories" by L. P. Hartley, Librivox
"Nemesis" by Agatha Christie, Audiobook
"The Tragedy of Marsdon Manor: A Hercule Poirot Short Story" by Agatha Christie
"Typhoon and Other Stories" by Joseph Conrad, LibriVox
"A World of Curiosities" (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #18) by Louise Penny, Library Audiobook

October 2023:

"The Clevendon Case" by Nancy Oakley, LibriVox
"Aaron Trow" by Anthony Trollope, LibriVox
"With Lawrence in Arabia" by Lowell Thomas, Kindle e-book
"Andrew's Brain" by E. L. Doctorow, Book
"The Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain, LibriVox

There are also a couple of partly read books, but they won't get counted until I finish them this month (November)

In spite of having hundreds of books available in various formats, last weekend I broke down and bought a paperback at an estate sale. Well, it looked interesting, and it was only 75 cents, so how could I resist? :wink:

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is my list of books read in November and December. I didn't reach my 2023 goal. With all that happened in the last two months, I didn't expect to.

NOVEMBER

Mark Twain's Partner
Saturday Evening Post Article by Michael J. Phillips
Interesting, entertaining article. Excellent LibriVox reading by John Greenman.

DECEMBER

Madge's Mobile Home Park: Volume One of the Peavine Chronicles
by Jane F. Hankins.
Very nice, entertaining book by local celebrity artist.

Quo Vadis
by Henryk Sienkiewicz
Excellent LibriVox Reading by David Leeson.

Looking forward to more reading in 2024.

Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

I did finish The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes shortly before the end of November. :D

Our family does a "book exchange" every Christmas (each person buys books for someone else in the family; not sure what else to call it). While putting this year's books on the shelf, I realized with some shame that I didn't finish reading all the books that I'd been given last Christmas. :oops: My goal this year is to read last year's books, the new ones I received, and some others that have been sitting unread on my shelf for far too long.

Edit: Now that I'm starting to make progress, I've broken down the list into groups. I'll update this throughout the year. At the rate I'm going I'll probably need to find more books, but that's absolutely not a complaint. :lol:

Read
  • Words with Fiends, by Ali Brandon
Currently reading
  • QR Codes Kill Kittens, by Scott Stratton
  • Out of the Silent Planet, by C. S. Lewis
Planning to read
  • The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis
  • The Bourne Identity, by Robert Ludlum
  • 206 Bones, by Kathy Reichs
  • Shout at the Devil, by Wilbur Smith
  • As You Wish, by Cary Elwes
  • J. R. R. Tolkien: A Biography, by Humphrey Carpenter
  • Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People, by S. Truett Cathy
  • Make Your Own Rules, by Andrew Huang
  • The Illustrated Rudyard Kipling: The Jungle Books
Pulling this off will require reading more consistently than ever, but that's kinda the goal anyway. Onward!
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor