Norse Mythology:Legends Of Gods And Heroes By Peter Andreas Munch,Translated By Sigurd Bernhard Hustvedt

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Freso

Post by Freso »

AdhiraamBose wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:35 am The Text Contains Use Of Language(s) Other Than English.Therefore,Proficiency In Those/That Language Is Necessary To Undertake The Project.
I don’t speak Old Norse (or even Icelandic or Faroese), but I speak Danish natively and Swedish passably and am familiar with Norse mythology to the point of knowing (at least Danish) pronunciations of things like Yggdrasil, Æsir, Ginnunga-gap, etc. and can guess‐approximate the Old Norse pronunciations, though I can make no guarantees for accuracy… though it’s likely to be more accurate than a native US English speaker! 🤭 I can try and look up Old Norse or Icelandic pronunciations of some words though, but if so, I’d rather not have a section with too many of them as I’d probably just burn out on it before ever getting to reading. E.g., the description of Njord (pp. 13–14) has two Old Norse words (Njǫrđr, ǫndurdís) and a… Germanic? word (Nerpuz) which is fine, but The Creation of the World (pp. 1–4) has 15+ Old Norse words from a brief skim, and that’s likely more than my executive dysfunction would allow me to look up.
dillerwhale

Post by dillerwhale »

Hello,

I was browsing the forum and I cam across this title and it certainly peaked my interest. I have read a number of mythology books and would love to contribute to this project. However, I am not certain if we are still waiting for this to become PD? Are chapters of this text already claimed or is this still currently developing?

Thank you!
Follow my voice...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dillerwhale wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 6:27 am Hello,

I was browsing the forum and I cam across this title and it certainly peaked my interest. I have read a number of mythology books and would love to contribute to this project. However, I am not certain if we are still waiting for this to become PD? Are chapters of this text already claimed or is this still currently developing?

Thank you!
The link that is now in the first post is acceptable and clearly in the public domain. (Originally, the first post linked to a different source that wasn't usable.)

That being said, this project is not currently active because no one has volunteered to coordinate it. If it's something that you'd like to work towards, that's great! It's best to get some experience in other projects first, though, before you strike out on your own.

Your first step is to complete your one- minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test Then you will want to record a few sections in one or more group projects to get a feel for how the work here is organized, how much time/effort it takes to record and edit, etc.

Then, if you still want to take on this project, you will be able to come back to it with more experience and know-how so that you can complete it successfully.

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that none of the books here in this Book Suggestions forum are currently active, generally speaking. This forum exists as a place for people to find ideas for their next project.
OSAM

Post by OSAM »

Hi!

I like this project idea too. I am a little wary of pronouncing Old Norse names, but I would love to be a proof listener for this project. I'm on board just as soon as someone volunteers to coordinate it.