MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Vol 2) - Thomas Mann (Trans Lowe-Porter) - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hello Christine - section 16 at 23.09
Naphta and Settembrini hold forth at length, but thankfully it is all in third-person narrative!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_16_mann_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 13th, 2023, 3:52 am Hello Christine - section 16 at 23.09
Naphta and Settembrini hold forth at length, but thankfully it is all in third-person narrative!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_16_mann_128kb.mp3
Hi Steve,

Yes, we cannot let them have their own reins or they will take up the whole book with their sparring orations! In line for PL. I have a bit of a list so it may be a couple of days.
Best,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

No problem, Christine, take your time!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 16 is PL ok. Oh, the pricelessness of the parallels between the Jesuits and the military! This was a most enjoyable chapter with many smiles coming to my face from the prose brought life by your soothing and entertaining voice and inflections! Really I cannot say enough about this. Also, I applause your uncanny way of splitting the sections into almost equal chunks. Perfect for the listener on their way to work!
Thanks!
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thank you as always and also for your very encouraging comments. I think the section divisions may not always work so fortuitously! I am actually devising them as I go along because for Vol 1 I divided them all up ahead of the work and then felt an added pressure to meet the needs of each section. This way I can cut the section short if I feel myself flagging!
Very best Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:40 am Thank you as always and also for your very encouraging comments. I think the section divisions may not always work so fortuitously! I am actually devising them as I go along because for Vol 1 I divided them all up ahead of the work and then felt an added pressure to meet the needs of each section. This way I can cut the section short if I feel myself flagging!
Very best Steve
Sounds like an excellent technique. Always in favor of being gentle with oneself!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hi Christine
Here is section 17, at 19.04, wherein the great Settembini/Naphta debate continues!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_17_mann_128kb.mp3
Best Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 19th, 2023, 6:47 am Hi Christine
Here is section 17, at 19.04, wherein the great Settembini/Naphta debate continues!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_17_mann_128kb.mp3
Best Steve
Of course! I will PL today.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Great!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Steve, Section 17 is PL ok. Poor Hans beset on every side! Gentle reminder to make silence at end of recording 5 seconds. No need to change 17.
Best of the season,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thank you Christine. I forgot to checkthe ending so I appreciate the nudge!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Anne and Christine - hoping you have both had a happy holidays! - and wishing you both the very best for 2024. As you might imagine, I am on a short MM break, but will return to the fray next week.
Warmest wishes
Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 27th, 2023, 3:17 am Dear Anne and Christine - hoping you have both had a happy holidays! - and wishing you both the very best for 2024. As you might imagine, I am on a short MM break, but will return to the fray next week.
Warmest wishes
Steve
Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. I have a long list of PL to do and much company for holidays! Hope you have great relaxation and joy!
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hi Christine. Here is my first recording for the new year. Section 18, at 24.13. It felt a bit of a slog, I must admit, but perhaps it was just that Christmas has come and gone and January here in the UK is very damp and grey! Hope that 'hangover' does not show in my voice!!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_18_mann_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 2:49 am Hi Christine. Here is my first recording for the new year. Section 18, at 24.13. It felt a bit of a slog, I must admit, but perhaps it was just that Christmas has come and gone and January here in the UK is very damp and grey! Hope that 'hangover' does not show in my voice!!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_18_mann_128kb.mp3
Dear Steve,
Happy New Year! Hope you had a fantastic holiday season. I know this section will be great like all the others. I've had to put it in line with the others I need to PL. I had some great celebrations myself!
Best,
Christine