Accent anxiety!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
carlab169

Post by carlab169 »

Hi! I was just wondering what the go is with accents. My natural accent is posh Australian/British, but I'm a bit worried that if I join a project with others that all have American accents, for example, it would make my recording stand out in a not-so-good way. Is using my natural accent alright?
- Carla
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

carlab169 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 3:37 am Hi! I was just wondering what the go is with accents. My natural accent is posh Australian/British, but I'm a bit worried that if I join a project with others that all have American accents, for example, it would make my recording stand out in a not-so-good way. Is using my natural accent alright?
Your natural accent is fine. There is no obligation in LibriVox to use an accent.
If you meet anyone called Larsen E. Pettifogger do not trust his legal advice.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Also, there is no obligation in LibriVox to lose an accent either. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Availle wrote: December 14th, 2023, 5:35 am Also, there is no obligation in LibriVox to lose an accent either. :wink:
To paraphrase the eminent philosopher of the 1970s, Frank Zappa " you are what you is, a cow don't make ham".
If you meet anyone called Larsen E. Pettifogger do not trust his legal advice.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Did you know, there are even people here who aren't native speakers but they still participate in English-language projects.
I've stopped recording in English because despite my efforts, I don't sound like a native speaker (not required on LV, but that old perfectionism ...). You don't have that problem ;) :)
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And as I have said before - I don't have an accent - everyone else has :D Anne
BigManDan

Post by BigManDan »

annise wrote: December 14th, 2023, 2:30 pm And as I have said before - I don't have an accent - everyone else has :D Anne
:lol: :lol: :lol: