[SCIENCE/MATH] Letters on Different Subjects in Natural Philosophy (to a German Princess), by Leonhard Euler -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

SirRoni wrote: December 19th, 2023, 9:44 pm Could I get section 52? Thanks!
Welcome to Librivox, SirRoni!
It would be great to have you record section 52 for this project (Letters to a German Princess). It looks like you've just passed your 1 minute test recording which means you are ready to go. Don't forget in all future recordings to make any changes that were suggested when you did the test recording (eg: if you needed to amplify, you'll need to do that for every section you submit).

In order to assign a section to you in the Magic Window (MW) of this project, I've entered you into the database of readers. Your reader page is accessible here and a list of your assigned sections is here (you might want to bookmark it). Your claim is confirmed - you have one month to submit it. Looking forward to hearing your section and have you help out with this project!

Some common questions that new readers ask:
  • Footnotes: They are optional. You can read all, some or none. An easy way to mark them is to say 'footnote' then read the footnote then say 'end footnote'.
  • Quotes: You can mark these by saying 'quote' then reading the quote and then saying 'end quote'. You can decide whether to say quote at all - sometimes it will be clear from context. I'd suggest saying it if the quotation spans multiple sentences.
  • Non-English phrases: We do have to read them. You could 1) pronounce it however you want 2) post in this thread and ask for someone to record it for you so you can either mimic it or splice it into your own recording 3) try Forvo for individual words or the sound icon on Google Translate for a text to speech version to copy.
  • Roman numerals: Read these as their corresponding number.
  • Abbreviations: You can choose to expand these or not to. You could say 'e.g' or 'for example'.
  • Heading numbering: Sometimes books use roman numerals and digits for two different levels of headings. I think a good solution to this is to say 'first, second' etc. for roman numeral headings (I, II etc.) and 'one, two' etc. for digit headings (1, 2 etc.).
Show these lonely projects some love!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

JHedrick wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:26 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 16th, 2023, 10:57 am Hello! Here is section 6 (9:12). I did my best with trying to find out the equivalent of the helmholtz music notations. I couldn't find a good chart that gave examples of all the notes, so I did my best. Happy to adjust anything as needed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/letters1_06_euler_128kb.mp3
Very nice job reading that. Claire. :)

Just a couple of minor edits are required.
  • around 4:05 I hear a doubling of "and the fifth"
  • around 4:25 and 5:55 without giving the octave numbers, it sounds like a repeat of the text
  • at the end for "end of letter" I heard "end of section"
Please make those small edits and reupload using the same file name. Remember to drop a note here in the thread so that I can spot PL the new files.

Keep up the good work.
Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your feedback and encouragement. I've made the necessary corrections and have re-uploaded the file. Time has increased by 1 second to 9:13.

Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 7 (8:31). I did not include the table at the bottom of page 30, as it does go into detail on how it should be read in the paragraph after the table. Prior to that, there is no indication on what each of the fields are. I'm happy to go back and include it, but I'd need some suggestions on how to best record it to make as much sense as possible.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/letters1_07_euler_128kb.mp3
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cheers, Claire

Come read!
SirRoni

Post by SirRoni »

As promised, here is section 52 (9:03)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/letters1_52_euler_128kb.mp3

In the wiki, it said I could skip the metadata part. Is this okay? I can change it if necessary.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

SirRoni wrote: December 20th, 2023, 10:05 pm In the wiki, it said I could skip the metadata part. Is this okay? I can change it if necessary.
That's correct! It will be overriden at cataloguing.
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 7:25 pm Hello! Here is section 7 (8:31). I did not include the table at the bottom of page 30, as it does go into detail on how it should be read in the paragraph after the table. Prior to that, there is no indication on what each of the fields are. I'm happy to go back and include it, but I'd need some suggestions on how to best record it to make as much sense as possible.

Thanks for this Claire! I actually chose this printing of the text because it didn't have the diagrams that the editors included in a later printing which, as I tried to describe them, were very hard to read. But it turns out there are still some tables causing trouble!

I think we have to include it because of the reference to the "following table" which will confuse listeners. My suggestion is:
"Table: Ut sharp or C sharp , 2, 2, 2 etc. 400, difference 16 etc." "End of table"
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

InTheDesert wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:21 pm
Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 7:25 pm Hello! Here is section 7 (8:31). I did not include the table at the bottom of page 30, as it does go into detail on how it should be read in the paragraph after the table. Prior to that, there is no indication on what each of the fields are. I'm happy to go back and include it, but I'd need some suggestions on how to best record it to make as much sense as possible.

Thanks for this Claire! I actually chose this printing of the text because it didn't have the diagrams that the editors included in a later printing which, as I tried to describe them, were very hard to read. But it turns out there are still some tables causing trouble!

I think we have to include it because of the reference to the "following table" which will confuse listeners. My suggestion is:
"Table: Ut sharp or C sharp , 2, 2, 2 etc. 400, difference 16 etc." "End of table"
Makes total sense, and how lucky am I to get one of the maybe few tables in the text? :lol:

I'm happy to add it in. Do you want me to wait until after PL? Or will you leave the chapter off ready for PL until I resubmit? I'm willing to do whatever is easier.
Cheers, Claire

Come read!
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 6:01 pm Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your feedback and encouragement. I've made the necessary corrections and have re-uploaded the file. Time has increased by 1 second to 9:13.

Ah yes, that is much better. Nice job of editing!

Unfortunately, there is still one more edit required: at the end of the recording instead of "end of letter", I heard "end of section."
Jim in Ohio

Why are more astronauts from Ohio than any other state? Because it’s so bad that they want to leave earth entirely!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 7:51 pm Hello! Here is section 8 (5:55).

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/letters1_08_euler_128kb.mp3
Hi Claire,

Letters seven and eight are both nicely read. Letter eight is straight to PL Okay, but letter seven needs the smallest of corrections: at the end of the recording for "end of letter" I heard "end of section."
Jim in Ohio

Why are more astronauts from Ohio than any other state? Because it’s so bad that they want to leave earth entirely!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 6:32 am I'm happy to add it in. Do you want me to wait until after PL? Or will you leave the chapter off ready for PL until I resubmit? I'm willing to do whatever is easier.
Let's add it in before Jim PLs it to save him some time :)
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
BonnieBee

Post by BonnieBee »

Bonnie
BonnieBee

Post by BonnieBee »

May I read letters 18, 19, and 20?

Thanks!
Bonnie
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

BonnieBee wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 4:41 pm May I read letters 18, 19, and 20?

Thanks!
Great, thankyou!
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

JHedrick wrote: December 21st, 2023, 7:53 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 6:01 pm Hi Jim,

Ah yes, that is much better. Nice job of editing!

Unfortunately, there is still one more edit required: at the end of the recording instead of "end of letter", I heard "end of section."
Hi Jim, Thanks so much for your feedback. The ending for section six has now been fixed. Timing is now 9:14 and the updated file has been loaded to the server.

I'll have 7 fixed tomorrow, as I do need to add in the table I skipped in the first recording. I'll also fix the ending as well.
Cheers, Claire

Come read!