[SOLO] Charles Finney Revivals of Religion - loa

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

I have FINALLY finished this first recording after 7 attempts! I am so sorry to keep you all waiting so long, I feel like Patrick Rothfuss taking 12 years and counting to finish writing the finale to his book series. I will try to do better, but everything is set up now, and sorry I didn't see the uploader link, duh!

Here is the recording. It is 33:51 in length
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/lecturesonrevivalsofreligion_01_finney_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

justinvistine wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 9:13 pm I have FINALLY finished this first recording after 7 attempts! I am so sorry to keep you all waiting so long, I feel like Patrick Rothfuss taking 12 years and counting to finish writing the finale to his book series. I will try to do better, but everything is set up now, and sorry I didn't see the uploader link, duh!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/lecturesonrevivalsofreligion_01_finney_128kb.mp3
Great!

Do you know how to put the link in the MW Window?
It goes in the Listen URL field. Then change the status to Ready for PL from the drop down menu
Then, the file length goes in the Notes field.

You don't necessarily need to post the link in the forum. You can, but as long as you post a note the the section has been uploaded, then I'll catch it both in my bookmarks and workflow page.

I'll get to this just as soon as I can. I have one more day with my brother here in Oregon and then heading back down to southern California.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

justinvistine wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 9:13 pm I have FINALLY finished this first recording after 7 attempts! I am so sorry to keep you all waiting so long, I feel like Patrick Rothfuss taking 12 years and counting to finish writing the finale to his book series. I will try to do better, but everything is set up now, and sorry I didn't see the uploader link, duh!

I have entered the first section as an example in the MW.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, congratulations, Justin, on getting this off the ground.

I do have some notes below

There is are a lot of hesitations in your narration, so I have noted only those that I think really do need correction -- stumbles that are definitely distracting, even though they seem small. One optional note on pronunciation since that is usually out of the purview of standard PL. Actually, these are all optional because this is your solo, and you decide what level of accuracy, etc. that you are comfortable with.

If you decide to do these corrections, start at the end and work forward to keep the time references intact.
Also, if you upload a corrected file (use the same name), you might amplify this by abut 2.6 decibels because it is close to the bottom of our acceptable volume range at only 86.4 dBs. Our target is 89 dBs with a range of 86-92 being acceptable. Do you have the Checker program to use? Nifty program that will give you a readout on the volume in decibels.

Finney is right, of course, on the relation between the sovereignty of God, our efforts, and revival.

Pressing on . . . .
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Forgot to post the PL Notes:

3:49 stumble “ungodly”
4:16 stumble “millennium”
4:34 stumble “no such”
5:20 slight stumble “would wear themselves out”
5:30 slight stumble “to uh expect”
13:50 stumble “impossible”
17:45 stumble “epidemic”
17:46 optional: “cholera” accent should be on first syllable
~ Larry
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

If this is optional, I might keep the first recording and move on. This was my seventh attempt on this same chapter, and I’m very excited to move on. I may come back to it before it’s all over though and fix those stumbles
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

Also, I do have the checker app! I checked my test levels but did not go in again after this recording and check. The test run was 89db, but I should have checked the actual recording. I will work on having less stumbles and getting the volume closer to 89db on this next one, and I may go back in and fix the first later on!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

justinvistine wrote: December 16th, 2023, 8:11 pm If this is optional, I might keep the first recording and move on. This was my seventh attempt on this same chapter, and I’m very excited to move on. I may come back to it before it’s all over though and fix those stumbles

Well, it is your solo, but having these many errors really isn't up to LV standards.

I mentioned "cholera" as optional because it is a pronunciation issue, which technically is outside the scope of "standard PL." But, it really stands out to me.

My suggestion is that you go ahead and correct these, starting at the back and working toward the beginning of the recording to follow the time stamps. It is generally a good idea to record a phrase or sentence rather than just a word in order to get a better sounding result.

I just want you to have the best recording you can with your name on it as soloist.
~ Larry
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

silverquill wrote: December 16th, 2023, 11:00 pm
justinvistine wrote: December 16th, 2023, 8:11 pm If this is optional, I might keep the first recording and move on. This was my seventh attempt on this same chapter, and I’m very excited to move on. I may come back to it before it’s all over though and fix those stumbles

Well, it is your solo, but having these many errors really isn't up to LV standards.

I mentioned "cholera" as optional because it is a pronunciation issue, which technically is outside the scope of "standard PL." But, it really stands out to me.

My suggestion is that you go ahead and correct these, starting at the back and working toward the beginning of the recording to follow the time stamps. It is generally a good idea to record a phrase or sentence rather than just a word in order to get a better sounding result.

I just want you to have the best recording you can with your name on it as soloist.
Okay, I'll go ahead and get those corrected. It had just sounded like it was optional. I do have two questions though:
1. How do you re-record a single line and then insert it into the current audio file to replace a line that was read before? I've only ever cut things out, never re-recorded certain lines or phrases.
2. How do you amplify an exact decibel number? Also, won't that also amplify the background noise?

Thanks again for your help!
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

In the meantime, I have recorded section 2. It comes out to 37:00, and checker says it is at 89.1db. I will update the magic window, and I will make sure and edit section 1 again before moving on to section 3.
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

justinvistine wrote: December 16th, 2023, 11:39 pm In the meantime, I have recorded section 2. It comes out to 37:00, and checker says it is at 89.1db. I will update the magic window, and I will make sure and edit section 1 again before moving on to section 3.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/lecturesonrevivalsofreligion_02_finney_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

justinvistine wrote: December 16th, 2023, 11:34 pm
1. How do you re-record a single line and then insert it into the current audio file to replace a line that was read before? I've only ever cut things out, never re-recorded certain lines or phrases.
2. How do you amplify an exact decibel number? Also, won't that also amplify the background noise?

Thanks again for your help!
1. Well, there are a lot of different approaches to this, and probably no two people do it exactly the same. So, I'll just outline how I do it.

Let's take those last two corrections, since that is where I would start.
First, I identify the phrase that I want to replace and highlight it.
In this case the natural break in you recording would be, 17:45-17:51 "an epidemic of cholera broke out which was specially fatal in the district where he had gone to reside." This is the natural break in your reading.

I then go to "file" and select "new." There is a way just to record a new track, but I haven't tried it, but it might be easier.
Then, I listen again to the section I'm replacing so I can try to get the intonation and phrasing to match as best I can, then record it.
I will do any editing to the correction, usually simple noise reduction, then highlight it and "copy." Then I go back to the file I'm working on where I've highlighted the phrase to replace and then just select "Paste" from the edit menu, and then the new recording overwrites what is highlighted. Then I'll listen to a section starting before and then after that phrase to see how it sounds, and also look at the wave form to see how it matches. It may need some volume adjustment. Your can do that just by highlighting it and going to the Amplification feature. I do all of this just by ear until I get the best flow that I can.

You won't get a perfect match. It is almost impossible to recreate the exact environment and speak exactly the same. Our voice differ even with the time of day. This is why it is best to record and edit in the same session. Do your own proof listening before you submit a recording so you catch these things as much as possible. Things still slip by which is why a proof listener provides that second set of ears. Believe me, I have my share of PL notes and things I need to go back and correct!

2. Amplifying to a particular number, in our case 89, is easy. If you do run it through Checker, and got a value of, say, 90.6 then just highlight the entire file and amplify it by - 1.6 to bring it down to 89. Or if it is low, say, 86.9 then amplify by 2.1. Yes, that will also amplify background noise, which is why I do my noise reduction first. Now Phil Chenevert has a video tutorial on a simpler way to do it.
You can check it out here: 89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk I've just never tried it.

Hope this helps. Again, this is just my personal method and there may be, probably are, better ways to do things. I think Phil probably has some video tutorials on editing that would be helpful.

I'll get to your new section soon.
Sundays are busy days for me.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PL NOTES for Section 2:

Much better overall.
Still, adjust the silences = no more than 1 second at the beginning, and we need 5 seconds at the end.

15:00 Let Satan get up in a row "row" here should rhyme with "cow," as in a a disturbance or fight
16:21 some glitch
21:09 Oneida County -- preferred pronunciation is with a long "i" rather than a long "a" sound
21:25 Oneida again
32:28 glitch on the audio

Of course pronunciation comments are optional.

Blessings for this Holy Season of Advent!
~ Larry