Choosing a computer monitor

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I don't have a television (and don't want one !), but I have a DVD/blu-ray player connected to a computer monitor via a video converter (with amplifier and speakers carrying the sound). The monitor I'm using is rather small (19" x 10.5" ... approximately 22" diagonal). I'm thinking of getting a larger monitor, but don't know enough about the technology to choose an appropriate type. Is anyone able to advise me, please?
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Is this just for narrating?
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Not at all ... it's for watching DVDs! I do have a life outside LibriVox ... honestly.

I know nothing about how the technology has changed over the last ten or fifteen years. The old monitor that I use for viewing the DVDs feels too small .. especially when I'm watching with a friend. That's with watching it from a distance of two or three metres. So I'd probably go for a 32 inch screen size (much bigger than that and they get too expensive).

I was just wondering about things like whether the colour fades with time (what's the monitor's effective lifetime), then sharpness of edges, blurring of movement, lifelike colour etc.

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Have you considered installing a projector?

If you're 2-3 m away from the image, your room seems big enough.
Projector on one end, white screen on the other, both can be mounted from the ceiling and are pretty unobtrusive.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Now, that's a curious idea! I'll look into it. My feeling at the moment is that I'd prefer the monitor ... more because a screen like this is how I've always viewed films, but I might be willing to change.
peter
txphred

Post by txphred »

Most modern TVs use LCD screens and have HDMI and VGA (d-sub 15 pin) connection. You can probably watch the DVD/BluRay disks directly from your computer. Consider making a weighted chart of accounts of your priorities. That way you can judge from a perspective based on something other than knowledge of technology. Items might include: Price, Size, Resolution, , New or Used, Warranty, Weight, etc. Of course whatever you buy it has to be compatible (Windows or Mac) and have the required connections.

This might help hack down some of the brush and narrow the search. Pawn shops are always an option. Good Luck!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks; I've chosen a new monitor that's not too expensive, nominal 32inch screen. As I'm in no hurry, I'll hope for it to be reduced in the post-Christmas sales.

Peter