Reading solo

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
cbblepot

Post by cbblepot »

Hello, I'm new to LibriVox and I wanted to ask if I'm able to choose my own book to read and if I'm able to read it solo. Even if it's a suggested book in the 'readers wanted' forum, is it possible to ask to record it on my own?
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Hi,

Welcome.

I think you can find your text and select on your own but it has to be on public domain.

To go solo, you can post your project here : viewforum.php?f=12

Here's some guidelines: viewtopic.php?t=717
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

You can choose your own book to read, but there are the following caveats:
It's recommended to first participate in a few group projects, since that will allow you to better assess how much work and time it will take you to record text.
Plus, I assume it will show that you will finish work you've started - sometimes, people start out on Librivox but then drop away after a short time.

The book has to be in the public domain - see info here: viewtopic.php?t=881

When you want to start a solo, you first post it in the "New Projects Launchpad" under viewforum.php?f=28
There, you post using a template that you fill in for your book - details: viewtopic.php?t=13513
This is necessary because your project will have to be assigned to an "MC" (meta coordinator). If your MC doesn't do the proof listening to your uploads, you also have to find a proof listenener - I'm not 100% sure how to do that since for my one solo project, I was so lucky to get an MC who also does the PLing. I think you'd have to ask in the forum "Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted" viewforum.php?f=61.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Also, it's highly recommended that you start by making and submitting a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up is ok. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it).

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications work for Librivox. It would be a shame to record something, then have to redo it because some simple setting is incorrect.

Once you've done that, it would be wise to record a few short pieces in group projects (or weekly or fortnightly poems) before embarking on a solo. That way, you'll learn the Librivox process and requirements, and have access to feedback and help from others before you start on a solo, which you have to do mostly on your own.

You'll find this community very helpful and generous with their advice.

Good luck!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)