SOLO Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

I Will Complete Later (Summary by Peter Keeble)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/120

Target completion date: 2024-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Treasure Island. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: treasureisland_##_stevenson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. treasureisland_01_stevenson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

It may be a few hours before I get the MW up. Busy day.

fyi, This will be version 6.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Peter,
It seems like you will need more sections. If so, let me know (or you can add them). This will be version 6.
Dave
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Dave

Thank you for your prompt response. I have reduced the sections down from 30 + to 7, wondering if that was the reason that I couldn't get the project generator to play ball.

Peter
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Did you make any other changes before your successful submission?
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Dave

I revisited the links to Wiki and Gutenberg.

Peter
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Dave

I have posted the first chapter of part one in the magic window. I suspect the window needs changing too accommodate the fact that there are six sections, each with its own title, and with a number of titled chapters in each one

I was apprehensive about doing this myself and winding up with a complete mess, grateful for your input.

Best regards

Peter
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

14:42--14:45 delete repeat, "When...."

I am inclined to only give the chapter numbers at the beginning of the intro (and the outro) to avoid confusing the listener. At the end of the intro you could give more information (e.g. the Part number and title and the chapter titles).
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I suspect the window needs changing too accommodate the fact that there are six sections, each with its own title, and with a number of titled chapters in each one
Luckily the chapters are numbered sequentially. I've suggested one possible way in the MW. Many others are possible. If you are going to record each chapter in a separate file (so the section and chapter numbers are the same, i.e. section 1 is chapter 1, section 2 is chapter 2, etc.) then leaving out the chapter number in the MW seems fine.
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Dave

Before I upload the next section I want to be sure that I've got this right.

I'll treat the seven parts As chapters and the numbered content as sections, therefore I have saved them in the following manner: where figure 1 represents chapter 1 and the adjacent figure represents the section of that chapter

For example

Chapter 1 and section one would be ‘treasureisland_11_stevenson_128krp”

it would be nice if Icould put a symbol between the two numbers ie a clolon 1:2 but I'm not sure if the system allows this?

Allow me to take this opportunity to wish you happy New Year health and Joy.

Peter
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The numbers in the filename should be sequential (01-34 or 01-17 if two chapters per section). Otherwise, we get reports of missing sections from listeners. The MW and the audio recording can provide the Part number.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Away from my computer but will get to these files no later than tomorrow.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!

If you intend to have each chapter as a separate audio file, I would give the chapter number (not section number) at the beginning of the intro and in the outro. There really is no need to mention the section number. Both the part and chapter numbers (along with the chapter title) could be mentioned at the end of the intro.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

00:00 "Chapter 2 of Tresure Island...." should be at the opening of the intro. At end of intro the chapter number and the title of the chapter can be stated. Not "Section 2 of Chapter 1" as this is not chapter 1. Again, there is no need to give the section number as it is the same as the chapter number.
6:06-6:09 delete repeat, "I was..."
6:40-6:42 delete repeat, "and marched..."
15:48-15:51 delete repeat, "and all..."
16:07-16:09 delete repeat, "and the.."
17:27-17:30 delete repeat, "and while..."
17:40-17:44 silence should be shorter, ~2s
17:45 the word "slapped" seems cut off.
18:07-18:11 delete repeat, "in the..."

There are additional repeats in the remaining minutes of the file.