(COMPLETE) Dispatches from the Ruhr - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Dispatches from the Ruhr, by Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/dispatches-from-the-ruhr-by-ernest-hemingway/

Volunteers outside the USA: Ernest Hemingway died in 1961. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

NB: This text is in the public domain in Canada, since the author died before 1971. Moreover, I see that Librivox contains other short works from Hemingway from this time period, presumably because they are in the public domain in the US. But I was hoping someone with more expertise could weigh in to tell me whether this is PD in the US, since it is not in the Gutenberg archive. Not to worry if it's not, as I have other options :). Thanks in advance.

Before finding celebrity as an author, including his 1954 Nobel Prize, Ernest M. Hemingway honed his craft as a journeyman reporter. In the spring of 1923, as a special correspondent for the Toronto Star, he travelled to the occupied Ruhr Valley where he produced a series of 10 articles, collected here as Dispatches from the Ruhr. In them, he explores the French political system and its role in the decision to occupy the Ruhr Valley militarily, in an effort to collect on unsustainable wartime reparations. In addition, he examines the suffering of its ordinary citizens, as conditions there led to a progressive loss of confidence in the Wiemar Republic; its economic collapse under the weight of hyper-inflation; and, ultimately, to the rise of Nazism. It is worth reading as both a case study on the unintended consequences of military occupation and a master class in the development of Hemingway’s characteristic prose style. (Summary by ASharma)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20230413

Target completion date: 2024-02-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Dispatches from the Ruhr. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Dispatches from the Ruhr, by Ernest Hemingway. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Dispatches from the Ruhr, by Ernest Hemingway. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Dispatches from the Ruhr, by Ernest Hemingway."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: dispatchesfromtheruhr_##_hemingway_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. dispatchesfromtheruhr_01_hemingway_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, this is PD in the USA because it's more than 95 years old. :)

I'll set it up...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

TriciaG wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:02 pm Yes, this is PD in the USA because it's more than 95 years old. :)

I'll set it up...
Thanks, Tricia: Much appreciated. No rush.

Atul

--------------------
Atul Sharma
Winnipeg, Canada
Dick

Post by Dick »

I'd be happy to DPL, Atul.
Dick
Richard Vogel
Smile, Breathe and Go Slowly :)
Richard Vogel
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great! I've put you in.

Moving this to Going Solo...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks, Trish
Richard Vogel
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Dick wrote: December 9th, 2023, 2:34 pm I'd be happy to DPL, Atul.
Dick
Richard Vogel
Thanks, Dick: I look forward to our collaboration.

Atul

--------------------
Atul Sharma,
Winnipeg, Canada
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Hi, Dick: I just uploaded the first article

Section 1, 11:05 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dispatchesfromtheruhr_01_hemingway_128kb.mp3

As newspaper length articles, they are individually quite short, typically less than 2000 words. A word of caution, though. As newspaper articles, there are inevitably some typos e.g. "members of the government begins" was probably meant to be "members of the government begin". As tempted as I am to correct them, this is Hemingway, and it's hard to know when he's thumbing his nose at convention :). But if they grate too much on your ears, please let me know.

Atul
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Good Evening, Dick:

I just uploaded Section 2 and marked it as "Ready for PL"

Section 2, 09:32 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dispatchesfromtheruhr_02_hemingway_128kb.mp3

Please don't feel pressured to get to them. They are all quite short, and I'm in no rush. And I know the season is busy with other obligations :)

Thanks again.

Atul

--------------------------
Atul Sharma
Winnipeg, Canada
Dick

Post by Dick »

:thumbs:
Richard Vogel
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Good afternoon.

I just uploaded Section 3. Tomorrow is something of a light day for me, so I hope to complete two. After 3 articles on the situation in France, the next section moves on to conditions in Germany. I find it interesting to see Hemingway's prose style on display at such an early point.

Section 3, 11:25 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dispatchesfromtheruhr_03_hemingway_128kb.mp3

These are very short articles, which is something of a treat after the book I just finished :).

Thanks.

Atul
Dick

Post by Dick »

Just finished PLing a book today. I am looking forward to listening to your's. Some interesting history from a very interesting perspective.......
Richard Vogel
Dick

Post by Dick »

1st section PL OK 👍
Richard Vogel
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Dick wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:58 am 1st section PL OK 👍
Thanks. My "lighter day" today was shifted, and it will probably be a few days before I get back to it. So no rush.

Atul
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Good morning. Here's the next section:

Section 4, 08:29 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dispatchesfromtheruhr_04_hemingway_128kb.mp3

Atul