[NOT PD]SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM T E LAWRENCE

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
nicholashillier

Post by nicholashillier »

SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM - T E LAWRENCE

I would like to record this as a solo project but when I suggested it a few years ago I was informed that it was still in copyright, although Lawrence died in 1935. The edition available in the Library of Congress at https://www.loc.gov/item/67123168/ is believed to be out of copyright (see https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2022/) although the book does not appear in Project Gutenberg's site despite the book being one of the classics. My own copy (which I would like to use) was published in 1936 by Doubleday Doran New York in 1936 - being first published privately in 1926.

I should be grateful if anyone is able to clarify the present copyright status, thanks.
:D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The scans I've found do say "privately printed 1926", but the copyrights are all 1926 and 1935, which indicates to me that new information was added, which secured a new copyright.

I'm afraid that, unless we find one with only a 1926 copyright, or a copy of the privately printed 1926 edition, it won't be PD until January 1, 2031.

There's a copy of the 1926 edition at the Library of Congress, but it's very cumbersome to navigate: https://www.loc.gov/resource/rbc0001.2017rosen2254/?sp=9&r=-0.407,-0.041,1.688,1.419,0
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
nicholashillier

Thanks Tricia,

I hadn't noticed that the LOC edition was the 1926 privately printed one. As the reader I think I could manage the image files but I appreciate that others are involved so it's not an option.. Or is it?
Cheers,
Nick
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I guess it depends on if the others can manage that text source. :)

I didn't see if the page images could be saved. I suppose one could save them all, combine them, and make it available (via Google Drive / Dropbox / etc. or by uploading it to Archive.org).
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

I found this scan on archive.org dated 1922, if it is of interest:

https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.22106/page/n4/mode/1up
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

patrickrandall wrote: November 30th, 2023, 12:58 pm I found this scan on archive.org dated 1922, if it is of interest:

https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.22106/page/n4/mode/1up
To be blunt, this is impossible. :) While it was completed in 1922, it was first published, privately (something like 200 copies), in 1926. It was certainly not published by Penguin Ltd. in 1922.

To be blunter, the India uploads to Archive are highly suspect at all times, especially for texts in which theirs is the only "PD" edition. Like this one, I think they doctor things to make them look PD.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's a bit unfair- they are PD in India. It is up to us to check the date on the actual scans after all. Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

annise wrote: November 30th, 2023, 3:26 pm That's a bit unfair- they are PD in India. It is up to us to check the date on the actual scans after all. Anne
Yes, but this specific scan - and I've seen such things before - give a false date. This is NOT a 1922 edition; there was no Penguin edition in 1922. Yet this "scan" clearly shows it's a Penguin Books Ltd. edition, August 1922.
CuriousEntling

Post by CuriousEntling »

TriciaG wrote: November 30th, 2023, 3:54 pm
annise wrote: November 30th, 2023, 3:26 pm That's a bit unfair- they are PD in India. It is up to us to check the date on the actual scans after all. Anne
Yes, but this specific scan - and I've seen such things before - give a false date. This is NOT a 1922 edition; there was no Penguin edition in 1922. Yet this "scan" clearly shows it's a Penguin Books Ltd. edition, August 1922.
It's disconcerting to not be able to trust these scans, I'm glad we have someone who knows more than I do about this stuff. Penguin Publishing was founded in 1935, yes? And that is how you know this 1922 is false, yes?
-- Nicole
Sailing in a general... that way direction.

2023, 2024: Current Reads: Star Trek Voyager Ghost of a Chance, Welcoming Food, QiGong for Treating Common Ailments
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

CuriousEntling wrote: December 5th, 2023, 4:08 pm It's disconcerting to not be able to trust these scans, I'm glad we have someone who knows more than I do about this stuff. Penguin Publishing was founded in 1935, yes? And that is how you know this 1922 is false, yes?
Well, that's one solid piece of evidence. The other is simply that the work was privately published (for the first time) in 1926, so it couldn't have been published for sale before that. :)
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

TriciaG wrote: December 5th, 2023, 5:07 pm

Well, that's one solid piece of evidence. The other is simply that the work was privately published (for the first time) in 1926, so it couldn't have been published for sale before that. :)
Yes, and additionally I looked at some of the front matter -- the author reviews various editions and says that this present volume incorporates information from 1926!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, that's pretty definitive, then! :lol:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

As a consolation prize, our own ASharma has just completed a reading of "Revolt in the Desert", an abridged version that was actually published in 1926, and so is PD. Despite being abridged, it is 14 hours long!

The forum thread is here:
viewtopic.php?p=2257735
...and it will be fully catalogued by this time tomorrow. :wink:
On the go this weekend! Will catch up Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink:
nicholashillier

Having started this hare I'm sorry to have missed the lively discussion! I have now discovered how to get notifications and have in the meantime decided to read Middlemarch instead..
Over and out