1-minute test recording - tinybear08 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Tinybear08

Post by Tinybear08 »

Hi there,

Please find my 1 minute test below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tinybear08.mp3

Recording software: Audacity
Operating system: Windows
Mic type: USB - Vonyx Microphone

Cheers,
Tinybear :help:
A bear from the land down under :thumbs:
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Welcome to Librivox, Tinybear! Everything sounded good! There is just one technical problem you need to fix.
The bit rite for your file should be set at a constant 128kbps. To do this go to export the file at the bottom of the pop out window you should see the bit rate options, set it on constant, then select 128kbps from the drop down box.

If that was confusing please let me know and I will see if I can find a video to help. Once you are done just upload the file again and post it here.

Best wishes, Allie.
DR The Story of The Treasure Seekers
Lots of parts big and small!
We need your voice!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hi Tinybear,

In addition to the bit rate constant correction that Allie has pointed out, you also need to correct the volume on your recording. It's at 94 dB, but Librivox recordings need to be between 86 and 92 dB, with the ideal being around 89-90.

In Audacity, you can fix the volume by selecting your entire track and then choosing "Loudness Normalization" under "Effects" set to -19LUFS. That will bring your volume down to the ideal level.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The First Sir Percy: An Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier by Baroness Orczy (Scarlet Pimpernel)
Tinybear08

Post by Tinybear08 »

Hi Allie and Winnifred,

Thank you for your kind feedback. :D

I have adjusted the dB and bit rite. Please find the revised recording below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/tinybear08_revised.mp3

Cheers,
Tinybear08
A bear from the land down under :thumbs:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Tinybear08 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 6:26 pm Hi Allie and Winnifred,

Thank you for your kind feedback. :D

I have adjusted the dB and bit rite. Please find the revised recording below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/tinybear08_revised.mp3

Cheers,
Tinybear08
Hi Tinybear,

Your recording now has all the correct technical settings, so you're ready to record!

Just a couple of minor warning notes. I hear some breath sounds and plosives on the letter P. You can avoid those by speaking to one side and up to six inches away from your mic rather than straight into it. You could also get a pop screen/filter, but I'd suggest trying the "beside the mic" technique first; much cheaper and just as effective. I've always found it to work for me.

The Checker plugin, which we all use to check our settings and volume, is telling me that there's a moderate amount of background noise in your recording. You can eliminate some of that using "Effects > Noise Reduction" in Audacity, or avoid it altogether by finding as quiet a place as possible to record.

For your first recording, why not head over to the Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose) forum? You'll find a variety of mostly shorter options there to choose from.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The First Sir Percy: An Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier by Baroness Orczy (Scarlet Pimpernel)