LIBRIVERSARIES - OCTOBER 2023

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Librivox was born in August 2005 and since day 1, we have valued ALL our volunteers. Whether you participate daily, weekly, or just every now and then, you are part of our Librivox family and we are grateful for your contributions*.

This month we celebrate 115 *active members*(defined below) who joined in October a year or more ago, and send a hearty round of applause for "job well done" and "thank you for being active this year". As you run across these names in your projects, give them a high five or pat on the back, and direct them to this page (which they may not even know about) to see who else shares their Libriversary month and year.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Active members celebrating an October Libriversary are as follows:

17 years, joined 2006 (1)
Tim Rowe (haelen)

16 years, joined 2007 (3)
Dawn Larsen (Bead Krazy Dawn)
Hokuspokus (Hokuspokus)
Sergio Baldelli (sirjoh)

15 years, joined 2008 (1)
Mary in Arkansas (MaryinArkansas)

14 years, joined 2009 (1)
Michelle R. Wood (BookWyrm)

13 years, joined 2010 (6)
debolee (debolee)
Ian S. Carr (talkendo)
Kirsten Wever (Kirsten Wever)
laurencetrask (laurencetrask)
Phil Chenevert (philchenevert)
Tom Hirsch (1947-2022) (Thirsch)

11 years, joined 2012 (4)
bedwere (bedwere)
DJRickyV (DJRickyV)
Ian King (GrayHouse)
mlcui (mlcui)

10 years, joined 2013 (3)

Bruce Kachuk (brucek)
Emily Maynard (AmyS)
Kyle Stadelhofer (kstadelh)

9 years, joined 2014 (1)
gyllila (gyllila)

8 years, joined 2015 (2)
Cheryl Adam (cadam10e)
CJem98 (CJem98)

7 years, joined 2016 (4)
carthinius (carthinius)
Katie Grace (Amie)
Mayah (Mayah92)
Warren Kati (Sciguyvoice)

6 years, joined 2017 (2)
Carol Pelster (carolpelster)
Monica Hinrichs-Mayer (libriMAH)

5 years, joined 2018 (3)
J. Thurgood (JVoxMachina)
LectorRecitator (LectorRecitator)
Margot (Margarete)

4 years, joined 2019 (6)
James Campbell Martin (vibrilux)
Lissy Schneider (LissySchneider)
Lynette Caulkins (LCaulkins)
Mark Dykshoorn (mungojerry311)
Miss Alyce (Dawallchslv)
ToriBee (ToriBee)

3 years, joined 2020 (6)
Darrell Nobles (speaker987)
Eleonora Bettenzoli (bettenzoli)
Louise Poulsom (loupo)
Melanie Campbell (melaniecampbell)
Ruth Eden (Reden)
Sarah Angelici (suzu94)

2 years, joined 2021 (14)
GettingTooOld (GettingTooOld)
Aaron Cohen (ioncohen)
Aaron Zimmerman (AaronZ)
Anna Goss (gooseandcaboose)
Belinda Loveday (Bagpussbee)
Ben Tucker (flavo5000)
dc (dckabir)
Jeannette Mellec (jtemellec)
lightcrystal (lightcrystal)
LucieLutin (LucieLutin)
MoonLylith (MoonLylith)
Nathan Lewin (NatantheLV)
sati (sati)
tmwest (tmwest)

1 years, joined 2022 (58)
mcmike64 (mcmike64)
65tux (65tux) 47
Addonizio (RoseSunshades)
ahirdOD (ahirdOD)
Aidan Koppinger (Aidankopp)
Aiden Edgar (syphiliticangel)
Alexander Myltsev (myltsev)
Angela DiBenedetto (aj13185)
Aryeh (aryeh12)
Ash Miller (ashzelda)
Avis Venning (Avis001)
Brittney King (HomeGirl)
Bryn Roberts (BrynRoberts)
Carolyn Aldridge (cealdridge)
Carrie B. Gorman (carriebgorman)
Cass (Cass3)
Catherine Leach (KatieFaye)
Christina Lauralino (Cblythe)
Crystal Barsema (CBarsema)
deaspoke (deaspoke)
Debbie Cline (DebbieCline)
Debreads (Debreads)
Devon Decker (lonestar)
Frances Gleason (larissa21672)
gutierca (gutierca)
Isabel McBride (EliMcBride)
JoniKrumm (Jkrumm16)
jwillie (jwillie)
Kassandra Clever (CleverUsername)
Ken Sheaffer (mrband99)
Lauren Gilmore (lselking13)
Lucas Puskaric (LusciousLucas)
Mackenzi Flannery (alittlenymph)
Mark Reglin (Dicitur)
Mary Woodburn (mwoodburn)
Maurice Almay (Cormax)
Mihai Ovidiu Radulescu (Ovidius)
millercolliersway (millercolliersway)
Ned Kruger (NedK)
Oonagh Fraser (oonspoon)
Patrick McCook (PatrickMcCook)
PotaszNC (PotaszNC)
Ricardo Flores (ricardoflores)
rosefiasco (rosefiasco)
Roy Haines (RHaines)
rupiess9 (rupiess9)
Scameron (sacameron)
shibaiman (shibaiman)
SMaria019 (SMaria019)
SwetaB (SwetaB)
Ted Lienhart (TedL)
Tess Stalker (Tess01)
TheaDoro (TheaDoro)
Torree Cline (VoiceofTLC)
Tracy Fay (MouseHoleAudio)
ttimmons (ttimmons)
vday (vday)
vowizardproductions (vowizardproductions)

------------------------------------------------------------
*Contributions* include BC'ing and MC'ing projects, recording/completing files, proof-listening, cover making, plus editing, creating Wikipedia links, programming and other behind the scenes tasks that may be hard to notice active participation in (unless you speak up).

*Active member* is defined by some level of volunteerism within the past 12 months. If you think your name has been left off this list, or misspelled, please PM msfry. Members who become active again after a long absence and are still in our Membership database, can make the list in future years. The current Libriversary announcement is a Sticky at the top of the News Forum. Past Libriversaries don't disappear . . . they can be found in the forum as well, by date published or search for "Libriversaries-Month".

Don't remember when you signed up? Check the right hand column of any post you make.

2023 Libriversaries In Review:
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September
Last edited by msfry on January 26th, 2024, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haelen

Post by haelen »

Initially, I didn’t really consider being a reader with Librivox for a variety of reasons - not the least of which being that my wife had recently given birth to our third child which was taking up a lot extra time and attention.

People had, for several years, made favourable comments about both my speaking and singing voice, and I used to enjoy reading aloud at school as well as doing vocal impersonations of the teachers. ;)

One day, I serendipitously bumped into an old band member who said he’s just started an agency who were making property sales videos for Estate Agents (Real Estate).

He asked me if I’d be interested in working for him. I said “Yes”, and this became my “day job” for about 6 years until 2017 when the company took all their work in-house (I was a freelancer) and I became unemployed pretty much overnight.

I had never been particularly ambitious and knew how highly competitive the mainstream voiceover world was, so I didn’t want to pursue this as a full time career. I did however record some meditation and hypnotherapy audios during this time - as well as taking part in online audio dramas.

A few years after the aforementioned job had ended, I arrived at a pensionable age. :)

Apart from providing music lessons part time for a couple of neurodiverse students, I wasn’t really doing much else with my time.

It was then that I decided to start reading at Librivox, and I’m enjoying the process very much thus far.

I’m excited by the sheer variety and quantity of books that are available to read, and can see myself continuing to be actively involved - at least for the foreseeable future. :)
"Seek No Vain Conclusions"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Tim (haelen) for that back story. The list reveals you joined Librivox 17 years ago this October. You spent many years narrating professionally, but only started recording for LV about a year ago. Lucky us. I'm curious how you first heard of Librivox? Was it an ad in a newspaper, you knew another member, or what?

Love your British accent! Hope to hear more of it. :D
haelen

Post by haelen »

Thank you for your kind words. I really can't remember where I heard about Librivox specifically. It was certainly via the Internet - in what context though, I cannot recall.
"Seek No Vain Conclusions"
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Thanks for keeping track of our LibriVox anniversaries, Michelle. It’s a great group with lots of good reading going on.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 13th, 2023, 1:29 pm Thanks for keeping track of our LibriVox anniversaries, Michelle. It’s a great group with lots of good reading going on.
Indeed it is, and quite exciting to see the project gain more and more worldwide traction.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Fun! (both to see my name on the list and to read Tim's story.)

I came to LibriVox after I'd spent around 3 years using its free audiobooks as work-along entertainment during quilting work or chores around the house. Kids had flown the coop, Scott was still working 60-80 hours per week (still is), and it was I and the cats alone at the house. (My work as a longarm quilter is a home job, even before COVID came along.)

One day, I felt that since I'd been taking advantage of all the free audiobooks for so long, it was fair for me to pay the favor back and contribute to the pool. So I got over my techy-phobia and figured out how-the-heck to download everything I needed and get set up with a decent hobby mic and all, and got started. My favorite niche is producing full-cast recordings of Newbery, mystery, and adventure novels. I also love DPL'ing for solos and group projects, typically gravitating toward history, travelogue, and biographies, as well as anything I notice that's been overlooked. And I love to have a solo project on the side of my DR projects, usually a Newbery or fascinating biography.

Would love to hear others' LV stories!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)