EDITING [DR] Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - kit

Plays and other dramatic works
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crystalpenny wrote: November 27th, 2023, 7:18 amHere is Ch 24 again :) ready for spot check
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_24_alcott_128kb.mp3

2:22 removed second "or Rose and water"
8:51 new improved chorus #1!!
19:04 removed "the" in "he wants me the most"
perfectly PL ok now :clap: thank you. That was a big one to start out with and with so many voices. Good job.
Do I need to alert Jenn to the Ch 23 re-record of Ariadne to Annabel?
normally the BC will do that, in case Jenn is not bookmarked to the thread anymore. I don't know whether Daria did it :hmm:

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

crystalpenny wrote: November 27th, 2023, 7:18 am Do I need to alert Jenn to the Ch 23 re-record of Ariadne to Annabel?
Kitty wrote: November 27th, 2023, 7:33 am normally the BC will do that, in case Jenn is not bookmarked to the thread anymore. I don't know whether Daria did it :hmm:
I’m still bookmarked to the thread but sorry I missed that the name had been changed! I’ll attend to that correction this evening :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I must have downloaded the scripts before the change from Ariadne to Annabel happened. I found another instance where I said "Ariadne" in Chapter 3 so I corrected that one as well. I'll keep an eye on the thread as editing progresses in case there are others.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_rose_03.mp3 (4:52)
correction is at 1:04

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_rose_23.mp3 (6:07)
correction is at 4:12
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Thanks so much, Jenn, for the quick turnaround. :D Ch 23 is ready to upload once your file is in the MW and I insert the change!
~carolyn
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Here is Ch 23 - Peace-Making
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_23_alcott_128kb.mp3
(22:53) 89.1 dB
~carolyn
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Here is the situation. Jenn sent in Rose’s revised Section 23. Carolyn took it and edited it into the Ch. 23 master file. But nobody officially PLed Rose’s section or updated the MW, so Rose’s section 23 still says “see PL notes”.
  • Carolyn, please do not edit a chapter until ALL of the chapter’s sub-sections are proof-listened and marked by Elijah since he is the DPL.
  • Sonia, please do not PL master file 23 until Elijah marks Rose’s section 23 as PL OK and it is moved down.
  • I’m guessing that Carolyn quickly PLed Rose’s part (if so, thank you!) But there was no way of knowing since the MW was not updated at all. Plus, part-PLing is Elijah’s job. We all need to work in our assigned roles because DRs get out of order very quickly—even by a minutest change.
  • For your info, I‘ve updated the MW, and Rose’s part is now Ready for spot PL. Master file 23 will be added to the MW after everything gets settled. :wink:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DariaAM wrote: November 29th, 2023, 12:17 amHere is the situation. Jenn sent in Rose’s revised Section 23. Carolyn took it and edited it into the Ch. 23 master file. But nobody officially PLed Rose’s section or updated the MW, so Rose’s section 23 still says “see PL notes”.
actually in such a small case, I think it was fair enough to edit in the one sentence that was missing. Often in stageplays, Todd only requests a new file with the single wrong sentence recorded to quickly insert, even without new PLing. As you said, Carolyn surely checked the line before she inserted it into her masterfile.

The Spot PL is only in the preliminary phase important, before any editing starts, but in this case, the editor herself found the error, so we're ok with her being the Spot PLer as well (for her assigned chapters/roles).

So I think I can safely go ahead and PL her chapter and I moved Rose down to her place in the chapter as well. You just need to assign the names to that chapter as well.

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Kitty wrote: November 29th, 2023, 12:27 am actually in such a small case, I think it was fair enough to edit in the one sentence that was missing. Often in stageplays, Todd only requests a new file with the single wrong sentence recorded to quickly insert, even without new PLing. As you said, Carolyn surely checked the line before she inserted it into her masterfile.

The Spot PL is only in the preliminary phase important, before any editing starts, but in this case, the editor herself found the error, so we're ok with her being the Spot PLer as well (for her assigned chapters/roles).

So I think I can safely go ahead and PL her chapter and I moved Rose down to her place in the chapter as well. You just need to assign the names to that chapter as well.

Sonia
Okay. Sounds good! :thumbs:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crystalpenny wrote: November 28th, 2023, 3:45 pmHere is Ch 23 - Peace-Making
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_23_alcott_128kb.mp3
(22:53) 89.1 dB
a lovely chapter, though Rose is a bit of a meddler, but she means well :lol: excellently stitched together, this is perfectly PL ok. Thank you, Carolyn.

Only needs readers assigned to the chapter and roles moved down. 8-)

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Kitty wrote: November 29th, 2023, 1:34 am . . .

Only needs readers assigned to the chapter and roles moved down. 8-)

Sonia
Done. Thank you Carolyn and Sonia!
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Thanks, Sonia! I found Ch 23 a bit tense. I think a prelude to what the author has in store for Rose in Bloom. Chapter 22 is much more light-hearted! I hope you enjoy it. Jenn's little song is a real treat :)
Thanks also to Daria for adding that red-line separating the spent files from the active files. Overall, the MW has been super easy to understand for this project and I appreciate all the work that goes into that. Much appreciated :)

Sorry for all the confusion regarding Jenn's Ch 23 re-record. I'm the LV newbie among us and still learning.

Here is Chapter 22 - Something To Do
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_22_alcott_128kb.mp3
(21:35) 89.2 dB

Notes to Sonia for consideration:
2:46 [Rose] text reads "... Phebe, I want something to do..." spoken "... to do something..."
I mention this one because I think the author intended this line to be a nod to the chapter title. Also, imo, they mean different things.

15:04 [Rose] text reads "... and I was ashamed to..." spoken " ... amazed..."

4:17 [Phebe] text reads "... bit ashamed except of being so backward..." I'm hearing/seeing a word/sound between "except" and "being", but it doesn't sound like "of" to me. Please advise.

(I noticed a few more mis-speaks. Let me know if you want me to list them. Probably not important)

So what happens from here? Sonia, do you request re-records? Then if it's just one or two lines to re-record, and they go into a separate new file, what file name is assigned? May I pull the file from the project thread once it arrives?

That's it for today. More on the way.
Carolyn

PS In my continuing fascination with the editorial decisions that resulted in differences between editions, here they are for Ch 22. In all cases, the script version is spoken.

3:41 script reads "...ironed smoothly and sewn together..." other text reads "... sewed..."
8:54 script reads "...and show you some things..." other text reads "and show why some things...."
15:42 script reads "... a good time by myself..." other text reads "... a good time all by myself..."
19:45 script reads "...if she did not earn it somewhere..." other text reads "... earn it somehow..."
~carolyn
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

crystalpenny wrote: November 30th, 2023, 4:48 pm . . .

Sorry for all the confusion regarding Jenn's Ch 23 re-record. I'm the LV newbie among us and still learning.
No worries! :D
Here is Chapter 22 - Something To Do
(21:35) 89.2 dB
Great! It's now in the MW ready for Sonia's scrutiny... 8-)
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Rose Chapter 5, 7, 9 & 15 are now PL OK! Thank you for the splendid edits on those! :D Well done
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crystalpenny wrote: November 30th, 2023, 4:48 pmHere is Chapter 22 - Something To Do

Notes to Sonia for consideration:
thank you Carolyn, perfect editing again :thumbs: I have checked and considered all your notes and weighed and pondered over them, and I think, in all cases, the differences are very minor, seeing word perfect was not required, so we can leave the text as is without requesting any re-recordings from the readers. I'll mark it PL ok right away.

to answer your questions however:
So what happens from here? Sonia, do you request re-records? Then if it's just one or two lines to re-record, and they go into a separate new file, what file name is assigned? May I pull the file from the project thread once it arrives?
if re-recordings are requested, it's easiest if the readers hand in a separate file with only the new sentences, (usually called "chapter22corrections" or something similar,) instead of editing the old one which has already been dissected by the editor. And yes, as soon as they come in, you can download them without waiting for the MW to be updated. This file will get deleted anyway later on, and your finished edited file is the only one that needs to be correct in the MW in the end.

Sonia