Hola from Panama!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Hola! My name is Dalys and I am a relatively new ISACA member and volunteer this year. Looking forward to this experience and learning from all of the participants. :clap:
vviera

Post by vviera »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 6th, 2023, 5:32 pm Hola! My name is Dalys and I am a relatively new ISACA member and volunteer this year. Looking forward to this experience and learning from all of the participants. :clap:
¡Bienvenida! Are you interested in recording in Spanish? If so, here's the welcome I send to new hispanohablantes:

Hi Dalys! and Welcome to Librivox. I am always excited to hear when we have a new reader in Spanish. There are three projects going on right now that you might enjoy participating in. This is the topic that has non-English projects, and you'll find them there:
viewforum.php?f=60

Of course, you'll enjoy contributing in English, too! Have fun as you learn - this is a great community and everyone is always ready to help when you have a question.

Again, welcome!
Verlina
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Hi Verlina!

Of course! I would love to read works in Spanish. Will read your instructions and follow up. Hoping to find some poetry or short stories. Those are my favorites. However, open to any suggestions. I'm a literature and history fan from both cultures, English and Spanish. :thumbs:
vviera

Post by vviera »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 6th, 2023, 6:28 pm Hi Verlina!

Of course! I would love to read works in Spanish. Will read your instructions and follow up. Hoping to find some poetry or short stories. Those are my favorites. However, open to any suggestions. I'm a literature and history fan from both cultures, English and Spanish. :thumbs:
Great! Probably the closest thing we have going right now that's anything like short stories is a book called Tradiciones Argentinas. Esta es la descripción escrita por Epachuko, el coordinador del proyecto:
Recopilación de anécdotas, usos, costumbres y expresiones de la vida en la Argentina de principios del siglo XX. El autor Pastor S. Obligado, aprovecha el amplio conocimiento de su tierra y sus gentes y continúa el ejemplo de Ricardo Palma y en sus "Tradiciones Peruanas" adaptando el formato y la temática a la compleja realidad de este país y momento histórico.

Después de que hagas tu prueba de 1 minuto, ¡nos vemos en alguno de los foros! :thumbs: :thumbs:
Cheers, VERLA

dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Ok.

Also, I would like to suggest one that's a collection of short tales that's a classic that honors our Spanish/Arabic heritage, "El libro de las mil noches y una noche; t. 1 by Anonymous" from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47287. I believe is in the Public Domain in the U.S.

I use to read this one to children in my ESL classes and many of them are well known (...like Aladdin) but there so many more. I would like to take this on as a solo project as well. What do you think?
vviera

Post by vviera »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 7th, 2023, 8:00 am Ok.

Also, I would like to suggest one that's a collection of short tales that's a classic that honors our Spanish/Arabic heritage, "El libro de las mil noches y una noche; t. 1 by Anonymous" from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47287. I believe is in the Public Domain in the U.S.

I use to read this one to children in my ESL classes and many of them are well known (...like Aladdin) but there so many more. I would like to take this on as a solo project as well. What do you think?
Great suggestion! So great, in fact, that it's already been recorded! See here: https://librivox.org/group/599
It's fine for there to be a second version of it, so at the point you are ready to do a solo, you can record it again if you like. We strongly recommend, though, that you do a few contributions to collaborative projects first to get acquainted with how things work on LibriVox and to get comfortable with the process of recording/editing itself.

You are right, anything you find on gutenberg.org is public domain in the U.S. Since you're in Panama, you'll need to figure out what the law is there about what is in the public domain. It looks, though, that yours is one country where the copyright lasts until the death of the author (or translator) plus 70 years. That's true for many countries. What that means is that even if something is in the public domain in the U.S., it might not be in Panama.

I got that information here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Copyright_rules_by_territory/Panama

The translator for Las mil noches y una noche on that gutenberg version, Blasco Ibáñez, died in 1928, so it would seem to be ok for you.

When we propose a project, we do research on the death dates of the author (and translator if there is one) for just this reason.

This is a lot of info, and perhaps you already knew the law in Panama. Just trying to be helpful. Let us know if you have any more questions!
Verlina
Cheers, VERLA

dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Wow! Yes, thank you for that info. I'm so glad that there is a recording already for it. I saw several choices for tales and rhymes similar to that one that I can take on. Most of them are classics that I even read at school or as a child. I'll check out more and list them for you.

Yes, your info is correct about the public domains down here.

Yes, I saw a suggestion for the collaboration in Spanish that I can help with. I'll start there while I confirm the list with you. It's amazing how many there are in gutenburg.org. Didn't know there were so many, even in Spanish! I'm thrilled to be a part of it!
vviera

Post by vviera »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 7th, 2023, 2:33 pm Wow! Yes, thank you for that info. I'm so glad that there is a recording already for it. I saw several choices for tales and rhymes similar to that one that I can take on. Most of them are classics that I even read at school or as a child. I'll check out more and list them for you.

Yes, your info is correct about the public domains down here.

Yes, I saw a suggestion for the collaboration in Spanish that I can help with. I'll start there while I confirm the list with you. It's amazing how many there are in gutenburg.org. Didn't know there were so many, even in Spanish! I'm thrilled to be a part of it!
I love your enthusiasm! I know you'll be a great LV contributor. Any time you want to know whether a work has already been recorded, you can look directly via the search box at librivox.org.

Here are a couple of places in addition to gutenberg where you can find Spanish ebooks.
Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes
https://www.cervantesvirtual.com/

Biblioteca Digital Hispánica (Bib. Nac. de España)
http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/Inicio.do

I know of a few others that are specifically Spanish, but these are the main ones I've seen.
Cheers, VERLA

dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Ok. I think I found one with no recordings: Fábulas by Félix María Samaniego (sorted by popularity)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55206
vviera

Post by vviera »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 7th, 2023, 7:51 pm Ok. I think I found one with no recordings: Fábulas by Félix María Samaniego (sorted by popularity)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55206
Wonderful. Now you will take it from here--all projects are self-driven by the person who proposes them. All projects start on the Launch Pad. viewforum.php?f=28
That page has information about how to set up a collaborative or a solo. Once again, it is highly advisable to do some recording in other collaborative projects before setting up your own project. There is a lot to know.

Have fun!
Cheers, VERLA

dalyseruiz

Post by dalyseruiz »

Excellent. I did my 1-minute recording and sent it to my MC last night.
Did some trial recordings just to familiarize myself with the equipment and all.
Just waiting for the feedback. I'll work on a collaborative and the recordings.

Thanks for your advice and info. Will go to the Launch Pad now.

Dalys :thumbs:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Dalys! To receive feedback on your test recording, please post it here: viewforum.php?f=21
:thumbs:
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Bienvenida, Dalys, y que te diviertas mucho. Librivox es genial! :9:
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.

Lee con nosotros: Recuerdos de mi vida
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dalyseruiz wrote: October 6th, 2023, 6:28 pm Welcome to Librivox, Dalys!

Once you have completed your one minute test, I thought you might be interested in contributing to these projects, given your interests: You can all the available group projects that are looking for readers here.