[COMPLETE] Astrophel by Swinburne -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

alanmapstone wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 1:33 pm Section 12 - The Union

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/astrophel_12_swinburne_128kb.mp3

Swinburne seems use a completely different rhythm for the first and second half of each verse :?
All good here, Alan! Although I can imagine Irish readers who would beg to differ: all the fancy rhyme and meter does not change the politics of that poem... ouch! I've marked it PL OK, and I should be able to get all caught up on the prooflistening tonight.
I spent the afternoon with a poet friend of mine here, and it was really fun telling him about this project and what I've learned about Swinburne. :D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

LuMiness wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:54 am https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/astrophel_19_swinburne_128kb.mp3
Length is 3:04; let me know if there's anything I should change! :D
That sounded SO GOOD, LuMiness! You did a great job with all the internal rhyme and the rhythm; it was a pleasure to listen to! :clap:

I noticed just two little things to edit:

0:07 it would be good to include the "August 6, 1891" part before the poem begins (the poem is for Tennyson, but doesn't mention Tennyson by name, so the date and the four-score and two years line are the clues that identify it as Tennyson's birthday ode)

0:43 through the suns be dead ("the" is missing, which throws off the meter in that line)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

23 Epicede: all good, and you did a super job with the reading, especially with the enjambed lines, with just enough pause for the rhyme but letting the sentence carry on. Very nice!

24 Threnody. This also sounded great! And so mysterious. I wonder what unfortunate person the poem was written for!

32 Epicede. And this sounded wonderful too... I honestly could not follow the meaning of this one, but there sure were some great phrases in there, like "All the golden hope that life of death would borrow" -- I have no idea how life can borrow hope from death, but it still sounds lovely anyway!

All PL OK :clap:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for the good PL, Laura!

I will have to agree with you on the sometimes elusiveness of Swinburne's lines.

Alan, could I take a couple more, 37 and 41?

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
Buck21

Post by Buck21 »

Hello, could I please claim section 37?
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

silverquill wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:06 pm Thank you for the good PL, Laura!
I will have to agree with you on the sometimes elusiveness of Swinburne's lines.
Alan, could I take a couple more, 37 and 41?
Hi Larry
Sections 37&41 are assigned to you.
I think we are all enjoying these poems even though they can be a challenge to read, I am certainly enjoying them :wink:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Buck21 wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:37 pm Hello, could I please claim section 37?
Hi
Sorry but another reader claimed section 37 just before you and we do have a policy of "first come first served" :(
Is there any other section you would like?
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Thanks Larry, Ready for PL!
Only a few to go now :)
Alan
Buck21

Post by Buck21 »

alanmapstone wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 12:45 am
Buck21 wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:37 pm Hello, could I please claim section 37?
Hi
Sorry but another reader claimed section 37 just before you and we do have a policy of "first come first served" :(
Is there any other section you would like?
That's ok, but thank you though!
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

section 8

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/astrophel_08_swinburne_128kb.mp3

section 9

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/astrophel_09_swinburne_128kb.mp3

so sorry about all that, I'd say I've learned my lesson about recording and editing whilst in lots of pain but I just fixed these tonight proving I have not in fact learned that lesson

and oh my did I change the meaning of Marches poem :oops:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

AgnesRobert wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 4:55 pm section 8
section 9
so sorry about all that, I'd say I've learned my lesson about recording and editing whilst in lots of pain but I just fixed these tonight proving I have not in fact learned that lesson
Thanks Agnes, these are Ready for Spot PL!

I hope whatever pain you had is easing :(
Alan
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

AgnesRobert wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 4:55 pm section 8

section 9

Oh, I hope you are feeling better now, Agnes! And the edits are perfectly seamless; all sounds lovely, and I wouldn't have even guessed the files are edited. Fantastic! I've marked them both PL OK, and thank you for such a fine contribution to this project!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Ooooh, that Hawthorn Dyke poem is lovely! And unlike so many of the other poems, it didn't feel like it was trying to be about something exactly, except just about the lovely flowers. I think "man and flower and bird" would approve! Nicely done, and PL OK. :clap:

The "Dedication" poem was another one of those strange ones, with hypnotic meter and rhyme, plus so many cool turns-of-phrase and weird words ("troublous" - wow!)... but I couldn't really tell what it was about, ha ha.

There were a couple of things to check on here:

3:50 Whose echoes were mute and the token
(it sounded like you read: and not token)

4:03 Time is not: the dead that must live
Hold commune with you as a brother
(for the meter it needs to be: time IS not: the DEAD that must LIVE / hold COMmune with YOU as a BROTHer, with the stress on "IS", not on "not" -- and then "commune" stressed on the first syllable)

4:34
Watch, hurtling to windward and lee
(you added a "the" in there which throws the meter off)
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

laurakgibbs wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 1:17 pm
I'm so glad the notes were helpful, Lauren! This is unlike any kind of prooflistening I've done before for LibriVox: between the meaning and the meter and the rhyme, Swinburne is making us work hard, ha ha.

I could tell you are super-experienced reader, and no surprise that you are an expert editor too. Your edits are so seamless I couldn't even tell that it had been edited. Wow!

File 02 and File 07 are PL OK. And everything is good in Autumn Vision except the sneaky Greek, and there it is just the one word that needs tweaking:
GIGantos γίγαντος:
gi: like in English "gig" (you read modern Greek style "yi")
tos: like in English "toss" (you read "toos," and since gigantoos is a word in ancient Greek also, that changes the meaning)

You can let me know when that's ready to check, and thanks so much for your kind words about the PL notes. Hearing you read inspired me to volunteer to read some poems myself this time. That's also a first for me here at LibriVox. Yeah for new things! :-)
Sorry for the delay; finally got the Greek redone and spliced on in for review!

04. https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/astrophel_04_swinburne_128kb.mp3 (16:39)

Thank you so much for the pronunciation assistance; it's super helpful to have a comparative guide (i.e. "gig" vs. "yi") since Google Translate will feed back only the modern stuff and not what Swinburne was aiming to evoke.

Also the second-to-last line of your notes immediately went on my shortlist of "Motivational Things to Cross-Stitch to Adorn My Office"; I'm so excited to hear your readings! I strongly suspect you're gonna crush it. :thumbs: