Is this link suitable for use in Librivox?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I came accross an website that claims to have Public Domain copies of Books on Religion,Folklore,Culture,etc.I wanted to make sure if its contents can be used for Librivox Audiobooks:-
https://sacred-texts.com/about.htm
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

We may be able to use scans hosted there, but as with WikiSource, probably nothing else.

From the page you linked, it looks like they include things that may still be under copyright:
The texts presented here are either original scans from books and articles clearly in the public domain, material which has been presented elsewhere on the Internet, or material included under fair use conditions in printed anthologies.
I see they have text transcriptions for quite a few works, but without a clear indication of which translation or edition this is taken from, we can't say what is public domain and what is not. This is bullet point three on our policy on text sources, in case you'd like to see the full detail of the policy.
On the go this weekend! Will catch up Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink:
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

redrun wrote: October 29th, 2023, 9:21 pm We may be able to use scans hosted there, but as with WikiSource, probably nothing else.

From the page you linked, it looks like they include things that may still be under copyright:
The texts presented here are either original scans from books and articles clearly in the public domain, material which has been presented elsewhere on the Internet, or material included under fair use conditions in printed anthologies.
I see they have text transcriptions for quite a few works, but without a clear indication of which translation or edition this is taken from, we can't say what is public domain and what is not. This is bullet point three on our policy on text sources, in case you'd like to see the full detail of the policy.
Would this Transcript do?
https://sacred-texts.com/shi/kj/kj000.htm

And,thank you for your reply.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

It does look good to me:
- The edition information for this particular work is included (this was not the case with others I checked at random), and the original is definitely PD.
- The transcription appears to be dedicated to the Public Domain as well, rather than seeking protection via Creative Commons or similar.

I'm a fairly new hand at this though, so a second opinion would be welcome. :wink:
On the go this weekend! Will catch up Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It looks OK to me, too.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I have looked at this website Sacred Texts. I am interested also to know if its books are suitable.
My puns were so bad they ended my career as a pundit.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is not one of our "trusted" sites. If the particular text you are interested in satisfies our PD requirements it will be OK - but many of them do not.
For example, an English version of centuries-old Buddhist writings on palm leaves would not be PD because it is centuries old, it would depend on when the version was written. Same for the Rosetta stone and Gilgamesh.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We have used sacred texts before, but as far as I know the original site owner / uploader has passed away. Since then, the texts have included CC versions (not just public domain ones), so we need to be a bit more careful.

As for this particular text: The Kojiki, well, it's a great book - I've looked at it multiple times - but the translation is question comes with a million of footnotes, half of which deal with intricacies of Japanese writing (aka, the Kanji). I'm not sure it makes for a good audiobook. :?:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

AdhiraamBose wrote: October 30th, 2023, 12:20 am
redrun wrote: October 29th, 2023, 9:21 pm We may be able to use scans hosted there, but as with WikiSource, probably nothing else.

Would this Transcript do?
https://sacred-texts.com/shi/kj/kj000.htm

And,thank you for your reply.
Thank You all for Your Varying Suggestions and Opinions.
But,in simple words,can I give this link as a book suggestion?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This specific book/text, yes. Others on that site might not be acceptable.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

From my perspective I do NOT like the Zadkiel [1852] edition of "An Introduction to Astrology" by William Lilly. It may or may not be PD. But scholastically this is a very bad book. Zadkiel kludges together two books, one by Lilly [Christian Astrology] and one about his life by people close to him. That is messy; William Lilly's entire life story is in Project Gutenberg. Someone can do it if they like reading a lot of Latin.

Zadkiel also adds in some outer planets that were unknown in Lilly's time. That is bad. That changes Lilly's astrology enormously. I also can not see the political letters that Lilly wrote to Parliament.

I was right to use the Internet Archive version of Christian Astrology for my Solo. Even if it's the harder one to read.
My puns were so bad they ended my career as a pundit.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Just to be clear: that doesn't change the answer for you, Adhiraam. You can use or suggest the text you linked. :thumbs:

lightcrystal, we've addressed Adhiraam's question re: LV policy, and explained what folks can look for in future if they're looking at this site as a possible source for LV projects. If you'd like to continue discussion, it's probably best to do so in a new thread, to keep things simple here. :wink:
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I would like to Thank You a for your answers.
May all of you have a Great Day. :D