1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
nit24

Post by nit24 »

This is my 1 minute test practice - I'm trying to see if it's possible for me to use mostly things I am already familiar with but let me know if it won't work out.

Edited in Audacity: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/editedtest_nit24.mp3
Original, unedited: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/uneditedtest_nit24.wav

I changed my voice in the middle to make it clearer but I'd make sure not to do that in actual audio.

Recording software: Apple Voice Memos on Mac - for some reason, Audacity wasn't allowing me to record my voice. I recorded in voice memos and moved the audio file to Audacity.
Mic Type: AirPods
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Welcome nit

I reviewed your test sample, and while it sounds good there are some technical changes needed. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86db and 92db, preferably 89-90. Your test audio is 73kbps variable bit rate and 48kHz sample rate. The volume is good.

VoiceMemos records at 48kHz. After importing the wav file into Audacity, select 44100 from the pull-down menu in the lower left corner of the Audacity window.

When exporting your MP3 from Audacity, be sure to check Bit Rate Mode - Constant, then select 128kb from the pull-down menu, and check Force Export to Mono.

You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Passed with Warnings is a fail with regard to volume.
Go to Validation>Choose Validation Methods and check Background Noise. Be sure to leave 5 seconds blank at the end of your recording.

Please make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
nit24

Post by nit24 »

Thank you for the feedback!

I am trying to re-record in Audacity because if I convert the audio to 41000 Hz, it makes my voice deeper and it sounds artificial. However, even though I have selected my Airpods as both my input and output device in Audacity preferences (I'm on a Mac), it is not capturing any audio. When I use just the macbook speakers, it captures audio just fine though. I do not see an option in mac's voice memos to change the sampling rate. Wondering if there are any fixes or workarounds - thank you!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

nit24 wrote: October 29th, 2023, 12:26 pm Thank you for the feedback!

I am trying to re-record in Audacity because if I convert the audio to 41000 Hz, it makes my voice deeper and it sounds artificial. However, even though I have selected my Airpods as both my input and output device in Audacity preferences (I'm on a Mac), it is not capturing any audio. When I use just the macbook speakers, it captures audio just fine though. I do not see an option in mac's voice memos to change the sampling rate. Wondering if there are any fixes or workarounds - thank you!
VoiceMemos does not have a 44.1 option. Opening a 48kHz file in Audacity and then exporting at 44.1 slows the playback down, hence the drop in register. I’m on a Mac, too, but I don’t have Airbuds so I can’t test it. You do have to select Airbuds as input & output in Mac sound prefs, but also in the Audacity prefs. So check that first. I know others have recorded with Airbuds.

Another thing you can do is get TwistedWave for iPhone from the App Store. TW will allow you to choose 44.1kHz.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page