Rode USB mic vs NTA-1/noise reduction

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
emmacharliebrowning

Post by emmacharliebrowning »

I have been away from audio recording for a few years since I don’t have any-where to use as a studio (road noise, especially after rain). I have forgotten almost everything I learnt and it also looks like technology has advanced. When I search, there is a lot of advice from podcasters and musicians but can’t find audiobook advice! I would appreciate advice on :

1) Which mic will be best for filtering out background noise?
2) At the moment I have a Rode NTA-1 with the dynamic converter with a Behringer audio interface. It looks like there are simpler options out there now. Is the Rode desktop USB the same quality? (I want something I can use for librivox and for my own projects)

Thanks a lot in advance

Emma
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Hey Emma

Rode has 7 desktop USB mics. Which one is it?

When you say filtering out background noise, are you referring to environmental sounds, i.e., traffic, HVAC, etc.? Or something else?

I'm not familiar with a dynamic converter. What is that?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

That is a really tough question as few people have tried and compared all the microphones out there. I would say that the NT1-A is a good, large diaphragm condenser mic and you would not likely gain anything in going to a USB version. Usually, dynamic mics are regarded as having more background noise rejection but it won't be night and day and some maybe not. (Also, many are more gain hungry, resulting in higher noise floor). I just did a quick test of a LDC mic against a dynamic with a fan turned on in background and the dynamic actually had about 10dB more noise. Here is the test, no processing other than normalization of the levels

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oo3ia2bec4ma24i6apy63/P30-v-0C18-background-reject.mp3?rlkey=fyjambedlplad0tntlbwc5ko8&dl=0

I would highly recommend trying to make your current setup work by experimenting with room placement and trying to isolate as much as possible as that will have a lot bigger effect on minimizing noise.

Hope that helps.

scotty
emmacharliebrowning

Thanks for your reply
sjmarky wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:02 am Hey Emma

--I was looking at the Rode NT-USB

When you say filtering out background noise, are you referring to environmental sounds, i.e., traffic, HVAC, etc.? Or something else?

-Only traffic noise

- It’s the thing needed to connect some non-usb mics to computers , like this sort of thing: Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audiophile 2x2, 24-Bit/192 kHz USB Audio Interface with Midas Mic Preamplifiers
I don’t understand why they are needed! Would need to learn some sound tech stuff.
emmacharliebrowning

iBeScotty wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:04 pm That is a really tough question as few people have tried and compared all the microphones out there. I would say that the NT1-A is a good, large diaphragm condenser mic and you would not likely gain anything in going to a USB version. Usually, dynamic mics are regarded as having more background noise rejection but it won't be night and day and some maybe not. (Also, many are more gain hungry, resulting in higher noise floor). I just did a quick test of a LDC mic against a dynamic with a fan turned on in background and the dynamic actually had about 10dB more noise. Here is the test, no processing other than normalization of the levels

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oo3ia2bec4ma24i6apy63/P30-v-0C18-background-reject.mp3?rlkey=fyjambedlplad0tntlbwc5ko8&dl=0

I would highly recommend trying to make your current setup work by experimenting with room placement and trying to isolate as much as possible as that will have a lot bigger effect on minimizing noise.

Hope that helps.

scotty

Thanks for the adviceand demonstration recordings. I actually can’t hear the fan at all (listening without headphones) in those recordings!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

emmacharliebrowning wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:37 pm Thanks for your reply
sjmarky wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:02 am Hey Emma

--I was looking at the Rode NT-USB

-Only traffic noise

- It’s the thing needed to connect some non-usb mics to computers , like this sort of thing: Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audiophile 2x2, 24-Bit/192 kHz USB Audio Interface with Midas Mic Preamplifiers
I don’t understand why they are needed! Would need to learn some sound tech stuff.
Ah. An audio interface, like my Audient ID4.

It is unlikely that any of those mics will reduce traffic noise, so stick with the NT1A. You will need to use another approach. First of all, how bad is it? If you record room tone (ie, just record background noise - no talking) what do you get? If the overall noise level is below -60db, it may be fine. But do that: record like 20 or 30 seconds and then upload it to “tests” and post the link here so I and the other folks here can give a listen and hopefully come up with a solution.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
emmacharliebrowning

Thanks going to do that as soon as I can get microphone to work! Had to wait a week for new stand to arrive!
emmacharliebrowning

I finally managed to get my mic to work and would love to would love some feedback on how noisy it is!
Here's the recording of two different rooms, amplified to meet the librivox volume requirements but no noise reduction:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sv7q9gqxzlpnug4ezz4fo/room_test1.mp3?rlkey=xchrfjwj4oeby4wzuak7j7299&dl=0

emmacharliebrowning wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:42 pm
iBeScotty wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:04 pm That is a really tough question as few people have tried and compared all the microphones out there. I would say that the NT1-A is a good, large diaphragm condenser mic and you would not likely gain anything in going to a USB version. Usually, dynamic mics are regarded as having more background noise rejection but it won't be night and day and some maybe not. (Also, many are more gain hungry, resulting in higher noise floor). I just did a quick test of a LDC mic against a dynamic with a fan turned on in background and the dynamic actually had about 10dB more noise. Here is the test, no processing other than normalization of the levels

Hope that helps.

scotty

Thanks for the adviceand demonstration recordings. I actually can’t hear the fan at all (listening without headphones) in those recordings!