DPL question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

When doing a solo, is it possible to be your own DPL?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No.

We need a second set of ears - both because you as the reader will often miss things that a fresh set of ears will catch, and because in the past, we've had readers insert commentary into recordings (if I recall, one was an anti-bullfighting "reader's note") that we want to make sure do not get into finished recordings. :)

The one exception to this is that if a reader records in some obscure language that we can't find anyone to even be able to follow along with a text (that can be done with a lot of languages, even if the listener doesn't know it), then we may allow the reader to self-PL.

As a reader, you'll self-PL in a sense, as a matter of course. You'll want your recording to be error-free, so when you submit it, it's ready for cataloging as far as you know. The PL is just a final check to be sure everything is okay and that nothing egregious got by you as the reader/editor.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Marty7766 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:27 am When doing a solo, is it possible to be your own DPL?
I’m sure one of the moderators will weigh in here, but I would have thought that at least one different person would need to PL any solo. The point of PLing is to catch things the reader might have missed. If the reader is also the DPL, what guarantee is there that they’ll catch what they missed first time around?

I’ve been at this for more than a year and a half, and I always listen to my recordings at least twice before submission, but occasionally, errors or stray noises still slip by me. I’m thankful for the safeguard of that DPL.

Just my two cents’ worth.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

And Tricia beat me to the “Send” button… :D
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

TriciaG wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:46 am No.

We need a second set of ears - both because you as the reader will often miss things that a fresh set of ears will catch, and because in the past, we've had readers insert commentary into recordings (if I recall, one was an anti-bullfighting "reader's note") that we want to make sure do not get into finished recordings. :)

The one exception to this is that if a reader records in some obscure language that we can't find anyone to even be able to follow along with a text (that can be done with a lot of languages, even if the listener doesn't know it), then we may allow the reader to self-PL.

As a reader, you'll self-PL in a sense, as a matter of course. You'll want your recording to be error-free, so when you submit it, it's ready for cataloging as far as you know. The PL is just a final check to be sure everything is okay and that nothing egregious got by you as the reader/editor.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the speedy reply!
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Winnifred wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:51 am And Tricia beat me to the “Send” button… :D
Lol! I appreciate your help! Makes sense! :thumbs: