Question on section length...

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Hello all!

I read somewhere that sections should run between 10 mins and 40 mins, but now I cannot find that information. Can you tell me where to find it?

Also, I am considering recording a devotional, so there would be 365 sections. In this situation, would it be ok to record each day as a separate section, for ease of use, even though the sections would be very short?
Thanks!

Martha
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

There are no hard and fast rules. Sections can be as long as they need to be. ;-)

Experience and feedback from listeners shows, however that

- if sections are too short (just a couple of minutes or less each) then people will get annoyed with the constant repetition of the disclaimer (yes, even the short one)
- if sections are too long, then people may lose focus. 30 - 40 minutes seems to hit the sweet spot for many listeners (and readers too). That's especially true in nonfiction; on the other hand, it's often possible to stop the recording and pick up where you left off, so maybe that's less of an issue nowadays?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Availle wrote: September 17th, 2023, 5:14 pm There are no hard and fast rules. Sections can be as long as they need to be. ;-)

Experience and feedback from listeners shows, however that

- if sections are too short (just a couple of minutes or less each) then people will get annoyed with the constant repetition of the disclaimer (yes, even the short one)
- if sections are too long, then people may lose focus. 30 - 40 minutes seems to hit the sweet spot for many listeners (and readers too). That's especially true in nonfiction; on the other hand, it's often possible to stop the recording and pick up where you left off, so maybe that's less of an issue nowadays?
Ah! I didn't think about the repetition of the disclaimer! Thanks for the speedy reply! Very helpful.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There have been daily readings and daily prayers projects
https://librivox.org/morning-and-evening-daily-readings-by-charles-spurgeon/ is done in weekly sections , I can't remember what they were all called to find the others
But
whatever you decide - the absolute maximum number of files in any project is 255 - it's set in cement, there is no way around it.

Anne
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

annise wrote: September 17th, 2023, 6:30 pm There have been daily readings and daily prayers projects
https://librivox.org/morning-and-evening-daily-readings-by-charles-spurgeon/ is done in weekly sections , I can't remember what they were all called to find the others
But
whatever you decide - the absolute maximum number of files in any project is 255 - it's set in cement, there is no way around it.

Anne
Thank you, Anne! Helpful suggestions...and I didn't know there was a maximum number of files. Much appreciated!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The section length limitation I've ever seen is regarding the section being short enough to fit on a CD (which is about 78 minutes) for people who are apparently downloading these and burning them to CDs? Does anyone actually do this anymore?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

flavo5000 wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 2:56 pm The section length limitation I've ever seen is regarding the section being short enough to fit on a CD (which is about 78 minutes) for people who are apparently downloading these and burning them to CDs? Does anyone actually do this anymore?
Yes, we've heard of people who do this, especially for seniors who don't know how to work MP3 players but can do CDs. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Or can't physically use mp3 players - I had a relation with Parkison's whose fingers couldn't handle them.
And until recently I drove a car with a cd player and used disks on long trips.

Anne