If you read too much, you will also die. apparently.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

La Crosse, Wisconsin, April 1905, Bertha Childs is a young lady who read too much, her father chains her to a fence while he goes into the field to do his farm-work, leaving her chained like an animal to prevent her hurting herself. She's become an imbecile due to overstudy weakening her mind. Her fathers coat pocket contains some poison covered cheese intended to kill rats, she eats it and dies. government archive

No charges were brought against her father, as he was simply trying to protect her from the dangers of reading books. so listverse says

So after that other advice which had people thinking about reading more, but discovering it's rather hard, well, here's an excuse to relax. Sorry, couldn't help it when I read this story, had to share, knew you'd love it.

Or perhaps I've been reading too much?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I do hope she finished the book before she died. Imagine spending eternity wondering about the last chapter.

Anne
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

chained to a fence there's not much selection in the way of books, and several half read ones in her house, is it like korean dramas, where you get so caught up you'd just die of over-excitement if you don't get closure ? can't bear to live without knowing what happens in the garden with the tree hit by lightning, was she so sad she needed her own tragedy ?

no. perhaps the poor thing was just a bit too hungry. Dad's an idiot. Farmers are well renown for their intellectual prowess after all.

Is 100 years enough so that you can make jest of the dead ? how long do you have to wait after you die before you and your newfound friends can make fun of the living ? I think I know the answer to that.