Buzzing/humming on recording

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

I'm glad I asked about this before downloading the file. An .exe file wants to make changes on your computer. In the privacy policy it says they collect data - "When using our software, we collect usage data that may include information such as your IP address, computer type and operating system, host DAW (for plug-ins) and statistics regarding the usage of our software products." Also, the plugin is created by a company called Supertone.ai. Huge red flag. They may be legit but I suggest a WARNING with this plugin. I am too new to recording to sign up with a .ai company.
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
CherryBim

Post by CherryBim »

I’m the same … I have spent a whole afternoon looking at how to reduce microphone hiss (for which there is no apparent reason), when I’d rather be reading. Noise reduction it is.
RuthP wrote: August 16th, 2023, 6:21 am Thank you, I appreciate the reply. :)
I do tend to over worry about things!
I will run the noise reduction, sounds like it could help 8-)
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

iBeScotty wrote: September 7th, 2023, 11:18 am
VOgalUS wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:15 am
iBeScotty wrote: August 16th, 2023, 11:52 am BTW, I just now randomly stumbled on this good video reviewing a free ai de-noise and de-reverb plug-in, GOYO, that looks really promising--simple and effective

https://youtu.be/bBb7vCgLbfI
Hi iBeScotty,

I saw this plugin. It looks good. When I went to download it the file downloaded as an .exe file. Plugins that I have downloaded are usually a .txt file to put in Audacity. Is this going to download correctly and load into Audacity correctly?
I should say I have not used this myself. Looking at the site's faq page it appears to be available in a few different formats, VST being really useful and useable by Audacity. The exe file is likely an installer app. Also, the free version looks only to be available until October 31.

Here is a link the the faq page: https://goyo.app/faq/
and about Audacity plugins: https://plugins.audacityteam.org/

Maybe this GOYO plugin may not be any more useful than other noise reducers though...I don't have experience using any of them

Best of luck!
scotty
...this got posted in the wrong place:

I'm glad I asked about this before downloading the file. An .exe file wants to make changes on your computer. In the privacy policy it says they collect data - "When using our software, we collect usage data that may include information such as your IP address, computer type and operating system, host DAW (for plug-ins) and statistics regarding the usage of our software products." Also, the plugin is created by a company called Supertone.ai. Huge red flag. They may be legit but I suggest a WARNING with this plugin. I am too new to recording to sign up with a .ai company.
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

For sure very few things are truly "free." That is one of the great things about LibriVox!

On the noise front I know how annoying it can be and I always would rather not record it in the first place than try correcting it after. Fortunately we can record in a more or less controlled environment so that helps. Also, inexpensive equipment today can be very good n this regard, especially compared to just a few years ago. Before I started recording for LV I used to use a cheap MXL mic that sounded good but had a lot of self-noise and upgraded to Blue Baby Bottle mic that was very good in this area but over $200 ... and I thought that was about the minimum to spend to get decently low microphone self-noise but now they seem much better in this area. I am amazed at this Sterling Audio P30 mic that I got on sale at Guitar Center for $40 and has very little noise. I am sure there are others that would work too. Even cheap audio interfaces today have good specs for recording voice. I have used a Zoom ams-22 for portable recording that works great. The absolutely noisiest mics I have in my collection and almost never use are a Rode videomicro, the aforementioned MXL V67g, and a Monoprice knockoff of an SM57. I also have an Audio-Technica ATR2100 dynamic mic, analog or USB, that works great, though a bit "crispy." I guess, bottom line, it is always good to research equipment but I definitely feel one doesn't have to spend much to achieve good quality, low noise recording.

Let's go record!

scotty