COMPLETE: The Book of Dreams and Ghosts by Andrew Lang -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Jo,

Thanks for letting me participate!

I will check the areas you referenced. Please let me know if there is any other way in which I can make this smooth for you.

I will use my real name for listing in the catalog: Gloria Loughry. You can also include the website smilingmooncreations.com though I haven't gotten it fully set up just yet.

Thanks so much!

GLORIA
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

"Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go Godzilla!" -- Blue Oyster Cult
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Here's your catalog page, Gloria.

https://librivox.org/reader/18761
Jo
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Jo,

I have completed the reading of the Preface(s) for this book. Here is the URL for the upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bookofdreamsandghosts_preface_lang_128kb.mp3

The recording is 19m 32s long.

I would really appreciate any feedback you'd care to give. Also, I did have two things I wanted to mention: (1) There was one (possibly two) instance where I exchanged the word "the" for the word "a" -- but I decided not to re-record that spot. Please advise if you'd like me to correct it. (2) Occasionally there is a clanging in the background of the recording. It was a windy night and I had the door propped open about 10 inches so the critters could go in and out (it's very nice here right now). The clanging is a large wind chime I have outside. I hear it so much I didn't even think about it when I was doing the recording! I hope it will not cause problems. Please let me know if you need me to try to correct this. When I was listening to the recording (for editing purposes), I didn't find it distracting, but, as this is my first "official" recording, I wasn't sure if it was a deal breaker.

Thanks!!

GLORIA
aka Godzilla
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Jo,

Oh! I just saw your note about the catalog page. When I click on the link you provided, however, it says I don't have rights to that area???

Please let me know if there's something I didn't understand.

Thanks!!

GLORIA
aka Godzilla
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Sorry, copied wrong version of the link. I fixed it above, but here it is again

https://librivox.org/reader/18761

Thanks for the your recording. It's in the MW, ready for PL. For future reference, the filename should have the section number, not the title so

bookofdreamsandghosts_00_lang_128kb.mp3

If there are no other edits, I'll fix it when the project is cataloged.
Jo
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Jo,

Thank you! I appreciate your time.

Also, duly noted about file-naming conventions. . .

GLORIA
aka Godzilla
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Shall I download to PL sections 0 and 7, or is someone else working on those?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes please! Someone had offered to PL these a month ago but never followed through, so it would be great if you can do the PL, Rapunzelina. Thanks!
Jo
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Godzilla wrote: July 10th, 2023, 1:39 pm I would really appreciate any feedback you'd care to give. Also, I did have two things I wanted to mention: (1) There was one (possibly two) instance where I exchanged the word "the" for the word "a" -- but I decided not to re-record that spot. Please advise if you'd like me to correct it. (2) Occasionally there is a clanging in the background of the recording. It was a windy night and I had the door propped open about 10 inches so the critters could go in and out (it's very nice here right now). The clanging is a large wind chime I have outside. I hear it so much I didn't even think about it when I was doing the recording! I hope it will not cause problems. Please let me know if you need me to try to correct this. When I was listening to the recording (for editing purposes), I didn't find it distracting, but, as this is my first "official" recording, I wasn't sure if it was a deal breaker.
(1) I didn't even notice any difference, so I guess it's not something that sounds weird, so it's fine!
(2) I didn't find it distracting either! Imagine how eerie it would be though if it was heard more distinctly when the text mentioned the ghostly clanging chains :lol:

The overall volume is a bit louder than necessary, so if you get that down a bit, I'm sure also the background clanging will become less noticeable. Checker measures the volume at 93.9dB so perhaps amplifying by -4 dB will get the volume within desired range, 89-90dB.

Lastly, just a technicality with the beginning and ending silences; check that you leave 1 second of silence at the beginning, and 5 seconds at the end. (they are currently a bit longer)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

californiacatbird wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:18 pm Thanks Jo! I read through all the comments in the thread but please let me know of any adjustments/ if I did anything wrong!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bookofdreamsandghosts_07_lang_128kb.mp3 (19m 37s)

For crediting, Allison Roberts, californiacatbird.com

Since my section goes into another one in the same chapter, I didn't record the section ending, but I can add that on if it would be helpful!
Since you'll be working on the section to add the ending, here are a couple more things to check:

- the volume is a bit louder than necessary, I would suggest de-amplifying by 3dB (that is, amplifying by -3dB)
- check beginning silence to be 1 second, and remember to leave 5 seconds of silence after the ending phrase.
:thumbs:
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello!

Well, it took me a minute to figure out what this was about! LOL! It's one of my very first readings! The first, I think! Too funny! Well, I have fixed what was listed and have re-uploaded. Should be alright now.

Length: 19m 26s
URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bookofdreamsandghosts_00_lang_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

PL OK! I've updated the Magic Window with the new link, too
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thank you both!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 2 claim expired. This section is available for a new reader to claim.
Jo
dg73

Post by dg73 »

If it's appropriate I'd like to claim section 2?
I have 3 other sections so if its not OK that's fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

And after looking over the text I realize I don't have the French for it. Never mind...
Dan Gurzynski