Complete [SOLO] A Last Diary by W. N. P. Barbellion-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
All is well here. Knock on wood!
It is horrible that you had to go through all that.
Don't worry about your pace with this. I enjoy you appearing out of the ether when least expected, truly. :D I don't mind if it takes five years. We're both busy. It will get done eventually. I am just glad that you continue with it. It is fun working with you on these books.
Best wishes! I hope 2022 will prove to be a wonderful year. It is a nice looking number.
I look forward to listening to this.
Have a good night!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
This book is so sad.
There are a few updates needed to your file.
Please change it to 128 kb it is at 192. Remove the buzzing sound at 4:24. And reduce he gap at 0.20 to 2 seconds.
Nice reading per usual!
Have a good night!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

The file is reuploaded, hopefully:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_05_barbellion_128kb.mp3

Hope you are well and enjoying the coming Spring!

Kindest,
Adam
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It is PL OK n :thumbs: ow.
I hope you are a quiet lovely time. We all need it. I am very excited for Spring to come. We still have a two foot snowpack here. But the days are longer and the sun is so strong.
I can't wait to hear the next installment.
Have a good night!
-Amy :D
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

Apologies for another few months of radio silence. Not been my best year (though I'm starting teacher training soon, which is an exciting career change from academia) but hopefully it helps me relate a little better to the much more acute sufferings of poor old Barbellion... these are some bleak few entries and you might be able to detect a bit when I got a little teary eyed. It's impressive that he managed to write with such lucidity when he was clearly in a lot of physical and mental pain, poor sod :(

I hope you are well and that your garden is bearing up in this hot weather. I managed to keep my mum's vegetable patch alive when she was away on holiday, which I was glad about (and was also rewarded in delicious cucumbers).

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_06_barbellion_128kb.mp3

Time: 23:13
SIze: 21.2 MB
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
This really is a devastating journal. The emotion in your voice makes it so moving. I look forward to listening to it, although I will most likely cry, too.
I'm keeping busy with the trees here. I love them.
It is great to get another chapter! I will PL soon. Maybe your next project will be cheerier, and I could proof listen again.
Have a nice night!
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
Section 6 is PL OK. Your reading is beautiful.
PL OK.
All the Best!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Dear Amy,

Ahh this one took me a while - largely because I have started teacher training (after all the chaos of the last few years with Covid and lockdowns and trying to move to Maastrict and illness on and off, it seemed like time for a career change away from academia to something more stable and straightforwardly rewarding!) which has been gratifying but very intensive in terms of workload. Also, I do wonder if I've taken so much time with this project because on some level I want to keep Barbellion alive in my mind... Only one or two more to go now though.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_07_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Time = 24:36
Size = 22.5 mb

Lovely to read him enjoying Ulysses and I love how he has to audacity to claim that it was basically his idea! XD He's never afraid to be grandiose! Interesting, also, to see him responding to Wells' comments in the preface to the diary and imagining the reviews coming in.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It is great to hear from you. I bet you will be an engaging dynamic teacher. At least you know you'll make a difference in someone's life course. There is always that teacher who leaves an impression and I am sure you will be that.
Truly I don't want this to end either, but for a different reason. I enjoy your readings so much. You keep Barbellion alive for everyone who listens to your work, and I'll always associate the two of you.

For my part, although I have a degree in Environmental Studies, I wound up a mutual fund accountant for twenty years. Last year I moved to the custody side working with the global corporate action system and swift network. It is quite a change, but it has been great for me really because accounting is moving increasingly away to India and I was stagnating. That was a major change in my life for the better. And I am enjoying work more. My husband had a lot of health challenges last year. Thankfully he is doing well now. And he is planning on putting up an 8 foot high deer fence around our whole orchard of about 4 acres. The deer are the bane of our existence. They are beautiful, but they eat our beloved young dwarf apple trees. We have ten years or less until retirement. By then the orchard should be fully producing. This is a hard climate to work with (we are in zone 4A). There is still a two foot deep snowpack here, but the midwinter days of darkness are behind us.
I look forward to listening!
Have a wonderful night!
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Good morning, Adam.
I listened with my morning coffee. It tears out your soul. He is such a wonderful writer, too. The phrase "the scimitar-wing swifts swished by" is stunning.
His response to the imagined reviews. The Ulysses part was awesome. Damn Irishman stealing his idea-haha. It is interesting that it had been released serialized.
I was curious about the turtles, Chatto and Windus. I thought maybe from a Greek myth but it is a publishing house. I guess they are slow about getting things done.
The book really is getting near the end. :(
I do hope you have another project on the back burner somewhere. This is out there. https://archive.org/details/enjoyinglifeothe00barb/page/n3/mode/2up
But i am grateful for this. It was wonderful, Adam. PL OK
I hope you have a wonderful day. :9:
-Amy

p.s. I'm an artist. I paint on resin animal heads and do some small oils mostly these days. For a new challenge I did an abstract painting. I don't think it is "my thing". But it is a colorful cheery canvas. It may be the first and last--not sure yet.
p.s.s. Did you know they started a Barbellion Prize in 2020? https://www.thebarbellionprize.com/
"The Barbellion Prize is a book prize dedicated to the furtherance of ill and disabled voices in writing. The prize is awarded annually to an author whose work has best represented the experience of chronic illness and/or disability. The winner receives £1,000, a glass trophy, and a copy of Barbellion's The Journal of a Disappointed Man." I wonder what he would think of that!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
Section 7 just needs those last two paragraphs and it will be PL OK.
Have a wonderful night!
-Amy :)
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Dear Amy,

Thank you kindly! I have added those two last paragraphs:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_07_barbellion_128kb.mp3

I am certainly tempted to record Enjoying Life, partly for completion's sake, partly because I enjoy voicing Barbellion so much. He feels like an old friend at this point!

Thank you for telling me about your art and the Barbellion prize. Have you painted any more abstract pieces since you posted the above?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,

It would be wonderful if you did record it. I would love to proof listen anything you do, but you aren't obligated to choose me. You are the voice of Barbellion to me for sure. I look forward to hearing the next section.

I haven't painted another abstract one. I'll PM you a link so you can see it if you want to. Who knows, maybe there will be more some day.
The last two paragraphs are great. PL OK
Have a lovely night!
-Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

I put off recording this as I wanted to him him alive that little bit longer... felt pretty emotional reading the last entry (after he says he will not longer keep a diary) as you may be able to tell...
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »