COMPLETE Four Hundred Years of Freethought, Part I, by Samuel P. Putnam - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin. I have no idea where synod appears in the file, or what I said. Probably se-nod. Tomorrow I'll see how I feel about looking for it.
Kari1963

Post by Kari1963 »

msfry wrote: September 5th, 2023, 10:04 am PL Notes Section 15

Lots of famous proper names in this book, in which case it's best to look up how to pronounce them. I gave a few sample links. There are more than a few notes this go around, Kari, easily fixed if you're willing and able.

4:12 It is equally the Aristotelian method, pronounced Aristo-te'-le-an https://forvo.com/word/aristotelian/
4:38 pronounce rhe-tor-i-ti'-cian, you said rh-tor'-i-can.
4:51 the popular method as against theology and metaphysic, as is missing (not sure how much that changes meaning)
5:12 Descartes, pronounced Day-cart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTz5cwIVi0
12:44 It could not condescend to, you say consent
14:11 was not cast in that golden age, you say east
19:40 and make Old and New England, and New is missing
23:13 to 25:05, and 30:44 to 31:59, volume drops by 5 db below the surrounding text. Very quiet. I recommend Amplify +4 or 5 so these segments blend in.
25:05, 27:17, 28:26, 32:12 please put an "end quote" (or a long pause) to distinguish between these long quotes and the author's comments which follow.
25:18 read the magnificent words of Wendell Phillips, should pronounce it reed, not red.
27:59 that every advance of industry facilitates, you say very
Outro should read (per first post) End of Chapter 10, Part 1 - Education and Ethics: Bacon

Please save and upload your corrected file as Section 15, not 10. NOTE: The danger of uploading a file with the wrong section # is that it can knock out another person's file (actually just renames it, so the MC can still find it, but they have to remember to do that). In this case the real Section 10 has not yet been submitted, so no real harm was done.

First of all; I AM SO VERY VERY SORRY!!
I sent you the copy that was supposed to be deleted. I have no idea why I didn't delete that before I even started the better version.

I was super confused because you were listing things off I knew I had corrected. It wasn't until I went into the file that I relized I had sent you the previous version, which of course, I no longer have. Because I was never going to turn it in. I am so sorry that I waisted time regarding this!! :oops:

This is the version you were supposed to get in the first place. I believe everything was corrected; however I will be the first to admit I am still very lousy in attempting to match my voice up with recordings already done.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_15_putnum_128kb.mp3

This is 32 minutes and 4 seconds long.

Again, my absolute apologies...

Kari
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kari1963 wrote: September 8th, 2023, 8:55 pm
This is the version you were supposed to get in the first place. I believe everything was corrected; however I will be the first to admit I am still very lousy in attempting to match my voice up with recordings already done.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_15_putnum_128kb.mp3

Kari
So this is a completely new file, or the corrected earlier file? Just making sure whether I need to start from scratch or just spot check for the corrected errors.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 8th, 2023, 8:51 pm Thanks, Kevin. I have no idea where synod appears in the file, or what I said. Probably se-nod. Tomorrow I'll see how I feel about looking for it.
3:39, but it's not a big deal.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Kari1963

Post by Kari1963 »

msfry wrote: September 8th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Kari1963 wrote: September 8th, 2023, 8:55 pm

Kari
So this is a completely new file, or the corrected earlier file? Just making sure whether I need to start from scratch or just spot check for the corrected errors.
It is a completely new file.

Kari
msfry

Post by msfry »

50 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Many chapters in this book would make good stand-alone entries into the Non-fiction collection. I may just have to do this one.

Putnam didn't touch on this scenario, but as late as 1972 in Louisiana, a husband could have his wife committed for no other reason than his say-so, and leave her institutionalized until he chose to release her. My boss almost singlehandedly got that one thrown out in his first year as a La. State Representative. He made it so it takes 2 physicians to concur, and the case has to be reviewed every 6 months with a lawyer present representing HER. Likewise back then, I could not borrow money to buy a house or a car without a male cosigner - husband didn't need my consent, I needed his.

We've come a long way, baby. And BTW, I still have no idea how to make a pudding! :D
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Yes, we have made progress and I personally am very grateful for it. Back room deals and golf course connections are still being made, however, behind women's backs. I can attest to that personally. At the law firm where I worked as a paralegal for many years, I saw way too many instances of the few female lawyers being left out of those kinds of informal but important gatherings. As we all know, the intelligence gathered there is often more critical to one's success.
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

RitaBoutros wrote: September 11th, 2023, 3:15 pm Yes, we have made progress and I personally am very grateful for it. Back room deals and golf course connections are still being made, however, behind women's backs. I can attest to that personally. At the law firm where I worked as a paralegal for many years, I saw way too many instances of the few female lawyers being left out of those kinds of informal but important gatherings. As we all know, the intelligence gathered there is often more critical to one's success.
Where I live we call that the "good ol' boy system". It's slowly continuing to break down, hopefully.

BTW, I'm currently RV camping until the end of the month. I do have the means to record in my RV, though possibly not at the same quality as my home studio. If I don't record out here camping, chapter 4 will be in early October.

Cheers.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 15

10:54 Ma-cau-lay, you say Mal-li-kay. Pronounced correctly at 11:47
21:31 To quote from Huxley, you say Husk-ley, pronounced correctly at 22:52
28:52 - 30:12 Volume drops considerably, recommend amplify +4

All else sounds okay.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here are 48 and 49. I will need someone to PL these for me. If someone with no PL experience wants to learn the process, I'll be happy to show you the ropes. We sure do need our PL'ers!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_48_putnam_128kb.mp3 11:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_49_putnam_128kb.mp3 10:57
msfry

Post by msfry »

barleyguy wrote: September 13th, 2023, 7:26 am BTW, I'm currently RV camping until the end of the month. I do have the means to record in my RV, though possibly not at the same quality as my home studio. If I don't record out here camping, chapter 4 will be in early October.

Cheers.
You have plenty of time to complete Chapter 4, in October. But I hear that the confined spaces of a motor home can make a really good sound studio!!! Silverquill has experience with that. Maybe he'll share. :)
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

msfry wrote: September 13th, 2023, 4:22 pm Here are 48 and 49. I will need someone to PL these for me. If someone with no PL experience wants to learn the process, I'll be happy to show you the ropes. We sure do need our PL'ers!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_48_putnam_128kb.mp3 11:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_49_putnam_128kb.mp3 10:57
I'll PL these for you Michele
Kari1963

Post by Kari1963 »

msfry wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:41 pm PL Notes Section 30

Keri, I commend your rendition of this rousing chapter. The material is truly "revolutionary" and the author does a great job telling Thomas Paine's story. Just a few notes to attend to:

0-:27 Intro volume is too quiet, at about 82db. Please amplify +6. Then the file gets louder and louder up to about 96 db. If you can open the file and see the entire wave form, you could possibly grab and de-amplify the peaks just a bit, and amplify the quietest parts just a bit. It won't detract from your enthusiastic delivery.
11:22 Books are written when the soul is at spring-tide, when it is laden like a groaning sky, delete are
14:25, 18:28, 19:03, 21:23, 24:54, 29:08 End quotes or 3 second pauses would be helpful to distinguish between author and person quoted.
Outro: should read "End of Chapter 13, Part 5, Thomas Paine."

In case you don't know this already, to keep the time stamps relevant, you should make your corrections from back to front. I forgot to say that in your previous PL Notes.
Section 30, Thomas Paine

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/4hundredyearsoffreethought_30_putnum_128kb.mp3

I believe everything is now in order.

By the way; I just want you to know (and all other PL'ers) that I really do appreciate your service of listening to the readings, noting where errors are, and the wonderful pats on the back for good jobs done. It is always helpful to hear where and how I can improve my reading and software skills! Thank you so much for your help and patience! :thumbs:

Kari
msfry

Post by msfry »

30 is PL-OK! :clap: